Search Unity

Bug Weird frustrating bug: ad got no close button, user gets stuck!

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by Marcos-Elias, Jul 31, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcos-Elias

Marcos-Elias

We are receiving a lot of complaints and bad reviews of some users because of this issue: they cannot exit the ad. They must force close the game and start again... And get lucky to get an ad that works.

The "close ad" button does not appear for some ads! Generally the ones using a Google-like button to install/close as seen on attached pictures.

5DB6CB55-323E-42A3-B616-D8D27D25CC44.JPG IMG_5748.jpg

It could be related to this old bug, but I am not sure:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/problem-ads-video-close-button-doesnt-work.520424/

This happens a lot on many Samsung devices where the font is set to a bit bigger size by default. I saw it here on the Galaxy S20 Fe.

Tested with Advertisement package version 4.2.1 but it was hapenning on 3.x versions too, since I received some complains of users several weeks ago. I am using only Unity Ads for now, without any other SDK on the game. And as a player I've seen that on many other games as well, even from big studios.

It is so frustrating :( I hope someone can review it asap, since it completely breaks the user experience.

Edit: I'll try to get a device list of user reports on Google Play. It seems that it happens more with "ultrawide" displays. Maybe the ad is set to be 16:9 and upper and botton parts get cutted because of the way the UI is anchored.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
  2. Barb-Unity

Barb-Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi!

I see that the ads in the pictures have a blue icon on the bottom corner. This means that these are legacy ads from one of our ad partners. We've been seeing some issues with them being rendered too large for the screen on some devices and are investigating it. In the meantime, if you could provide your game ID or organization ID (depending on whether it affects all of your projects or not), we could try applying a workaround for you.

If you wish to keep these IDs private, you can also contact us at unityads-support@unity3d.com, - just don't forget to attach the screenshots, describe the issue, and provide the IDs that I've mentioned. One of our agents will then help you out as soon as possible.

Cheers!

Marcos-Elias likes this.
  3. Marcos-Elias

Marcos-Elias

Oh thanks! I'll ask for my users on the social media pages to send me samples of the screenshots and their device models when it happens.

Barb-Unity likes this.
  4. allangamesxbr

allangamesxbr

I have the same problem but on iOS. I tested it on the following devices: iPhone 6, iPhone 7 and iPhone 12. My android devices work as expected.

5. Gingerbeer

Gingerbeer

I am digging this post because this issue still exists : (

6. Marcos-Elias

Marcos-Elias

Almost one year later... The issue is still there! :( Now I’m using Iron Source mediation. Based on user feedback ads with this problem look like they came from Unity Ads.

Just a new sample of a complaint of a user/consumer (between many other one star reviews). This one (attached screenshots) happened with a Redmi Note 10 Pro.

Edit: more users reported it on Galaxy A53, M51 and A71.

Generally not all ads are like those, just some of them (probably a few, but still annoying since they completely block the experience). I saw it happening also on other popular games on the Galaxy S20 Fe.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2023
  7. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

We have made some improvements to reduce these types of ads from occurring, but unfortunately some will still slip through occasionally.

If this is a significant concern, you can open a support ticket and we can discuss some possible options.
    https://dashboard.unity3d.com/gaming/dashboard-support

Marcos-Elias likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.