Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Weird error message when hit play with MARS installed

Discussion in 'Unity MARS' started by edwon, Jan 24, 2021.

1. edwon

edwon

Getting a weird bug when hit play in Unity 2020.2.0.f1 and MARS (latest version, downloaded January 19, 2021)

FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
    System.Text.StringBuilder.FormatError () (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
    System.Text.StringBuilder.AppendFormatHelper (System.IFormatProvider provider, System.String format, System.ParamsArray args) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
    System.String.FormatHelper (System.IFormatProvider provider, System.String format, System.ParamsArray args) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
    System.String.Format (System.String format, System.Object[] args) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
    UnityEngine.SubsystemsImplementation.SubsystemDescriptorStore.RegisterDescriptor[TDescriptor,TBaseTypeInList] (TDescriptor descriptor, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] storeInList) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/Subsystems/SubsystemDescriptorStore.cs:61)
    UnityEngine.SubsystemsImplementation.SubsystemDescriptorStore.RegisterDescriptor (UnityEngine.SubsystemsImplementation.SubsystemDescriptorWithProvider descriptor) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/Subsystems/SubsystemDescriptorStore.cs:10)
    UnityEngine.XR.ARSubsystems.XRCameraSubsystem.Register (UnityEngine.XR.ARSubsystems.XRCameraSubsystemCinfo cameraSubsystemParams) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.xr.arsubsystems@4.1.1/Runtime/CameraSubsystem/XRCameraSubsystem.cs:572)
    Unity.MARS.XRSubsystem.CameraSubsystem.Register () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.mars-ar-foundation-providers@1.2.0/Editor/MARSXRSubsystem/CameraSubsystem.cs:83)

2. CiaranWills

CiaranWills

Unity Technologies

Hmm, I haven't seen this happen before. What OS are you on? And what is in your scene?

I'd try updating to the latest AR Foundation (and AR Subsystem) packages and seeing if the issue persists.

3. edwon

edwon

I gave up, MARS is just too heavyweight and expensive for me. I believe in the dream but the current implementation as a huge plugin (instead of a bunch of small packages) and pricing scheme is just too much for me to handle right now.

4. StayTalm_Unity

StayTalm_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hello @edwon

That specific error is confusing, and something that I've fixed, that's making it way to a Unity release. It's something that affects XR.SDK systems as a whole.
    Something seems to be registering our simulation tools twice, which we don't have an open repro for. Have you done anything specific in the Project Settings -> XR Management panel, or any steps that would affect the [RuntimeInitializeOnLoad] attribute within your personal project?

5. CiaranWills

CiaranWills

Unity Technologies

If you don't mind, could you tell us if you had Reload Domain turned off under Enter Play Mode Options in the Editor Project Settings?

upload_2021-1-25_17-56-30.png

6. edwon

edwon

Yes I had Enter Play Mode Options with Reload Domain turned off (reload scene was on)

I'm using Unity 2020.2.0f1

7. mtschoen

mtschoen

Unity Technologies

Does the issue occur if you turn the domain reload back on? If that's the case, we can focus on fixing the issue with fast domain reload.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021