Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Weird bugs with RC versions of Unity

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Alico, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Alico

Alico

This is my first post here on the Unity forums, so I will try to provide as detailed of an explanation as I can, and If I do miss anything, please do tell me. I tried searching for these occurrences and couldn't find any information on them. Additionally I sent a bug report on one of the bugs that i noticed, but I'm sure that Unity have their hands full with bug reports at the moment :D.

I noticed that eveybody is talking about GI, and all the cool new stuff in Unity5, but nobody was addressing the issues that appeared to me.

1. When in Unity Editor, select a Game Object that has an Animator component attached to it. Then go to Window -> Animator, and the view will look fine. Selecting and unselecting the Game Object creates a Unity Editor error, which causes the Editor to become unselectable and the only way to "fix" it is to go to window and selecting another window such as scene or profiler then closing and reopening Animator. This bug happened to me very frequently when upgrading to RC1, but now it seems to happen less and less. I'm sorry that I didn't copy the logs for it as it was displaying some UnityEditor gui null refrence, I will do that the next time when/if it happens.

2. Unity and Nexus6 have a weird relationship. While my current game demo runs fine on older devices such as Samsung Galaxy S2, and iPhone4. Running on an High-end device such as the Nexus6 causes major stuttering and makes the game virtually unplayable. I have submitted a bug report with an example project. The example project has a 3D model with a simple looped animation, while the model rotates around its axis.
    In the built scene, there is this script, with a single model that has around 2k Polys. From what I have underestood, keeping it under 50k Polys is the way to go for Mobile dev, but I'm sure the Nexus6 should be able to handle a lot more than 50k, but this way I'm trying to reach to wider user base. The animation has 10 frames.

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class AnimScript : MonoBehaviour {
    3. public Animator BaseAnimator;
    4. public Animator PropsAnimator;
    5. void Start()
    6. {
    7. BaseAnimator.speed = 0.05f;
    8. PropsAnimator.speed = 0.05f;
    10. }
    11. void Update()
    12. {
    13. transform.Rotate(Vector3.right * Time.deltaTime);
    14. }
    15. }

3. RC2 and RC3 seemingly break physics. I have a simple script for controlling a rigid body ( the players ) movement using MovePosition, upgrading to RC2 and RC3 makes it just levitate, while in RC1 and Unity 4.6 it works fine.

4.Trying to build for an even older device that worked normally with Unity4.6, doesn't work with Unity5 RC1. I haven't checked the situation with RC2 or 3. The device in question is a HTC One V, running Android 4.x. I have checked my min sdk in player settings and the phones android version is above it, I keep getting the error Unable to install Apk, and the console is filled with Android and UnityEditor PosprocessBuildPlayer, which I don't really understand.
    UnityException: Unable to install APK!
    Installation failed. See the Console for details.
    UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessAndroidPlayer.ShowErrDlgAndThrow (System.String title, System.String message, System.Exception ex)
    UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessAndroidPlayer.ShowErrDlgAndThrow (System.String title, System.String message)
    UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessAndroidPlayer.UploadAndStartPlayer (System.String manifestName, System.String stagingArea, UnityEditor.Android.AndroidDevice device, System.String packageName, Boolean devPlayer, Boolean retryUpload)
    UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessAndroidPlayer.PostProcessInternal (BuildTarget target, System.String stagingAreaData, System.String stagingArea, System.String playerPackage, System.String installPath, System.String companyName, System.String productName, BuildOptions options)
    UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessAndroidPlayer.PostProcess (BuildTarget target, System.String stagingAreaData, System.String stagingArea, System.String playerPackage, System.String installPath, System.String companyName, System.String productName, BuildOptions options)
    UnityEditor.Android.AndroidBuildPostprocessor.PostProcess (BuildPostProcessArgs args)
    UnityEditor.PostprocessBuildPlayer.Postprocess (BuildTarget target, System.String installPath, System.String companyName, System.String productName, Int32 width, Int32 height, System.String downloadWebplayerUrl, System.String manualDownloadWebplayerUrl, BuildOptions options, UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry usedClassRegistry) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/PostprocessBuildPlayer.cs:316)

Additionally I wanted to ask is it worth for anyone to upgrade their project to Unity5 from 4 ? I was just very intrigued by the updated physics and mecanim updates, however I still believe that the mecanim API should be a little bit more user friendly.

Thanks for reading my wall of text, and hopefully we can get these problems handled.

shkar-noori likes this.
  2. elbows

elbows

Problem number 1 with the animator window only happened to me with RC1, its been fine with RC2 and 3. Are you sure it still happens to you at all?

3. Alico

Alico

Hello elbows,

Because of the physics problems that I had, I decided to stay with RC1. Its good to hear that problem 1. has been resolved. I just never noticed it in the patch notes, I suppose I missed it.

I also wanted to mention that in problem 2. I have tried the same game/Scene on my Nexus 9 tablet, and there was no performance loss or stuttering. So now I'm unclear either its my own fault( I provided the sample script I used to check the stuttering), android 5.0 or unity5 :D

4. Alico

Alico

Hello again guys, I noticed a weird bug that appeared with the uGUI. I'm not a 100% if this bug happened with Unity 5 or earlier, but I checked my other scenes today and all the text components are green. I tried changing the color values, set materials, and change the values via script, and it would go from Green to dark green. In the spoilers I added screnshots to illustrate my problem.

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class ForceTextColor : MonoBehaviour {
    3.     Text t;
    4.     // Use this for initialization
    5.     void Start () {
    6.     t = GetComponent<Text>();
    7.     t.color = Color.white;
    8.     }
    9. }
    Additionally I want to mention that I don't adjust the color values anywhere other than in the editor, what I mean by that is that I don't have a master color overwrite script somewhere :D. I'm not sure if this should have been posted here or in the uGUI section.

I found http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/878077/gui-text-changes-color-to-green-possible-461-bug.html he had a similar issue, but I have tried the answers given there and they did not seem to change anything.

Thanks in advance

5. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Have you moved onto RC3 now?

6. Alico

Alico

Yes I have, I stopped using physics and started using my own solution. Because the project I'm working on doesn't have realistic physics to begin with. So now I'm just using rigid body for collision detection.

7. Dantus

Dantus

If you create a new empty scene and place a text in there, does it turn green as well when you hit play?

8. Alico

Alico

Well this is the weirdest thing ever, I tried restarting Unity after looking through my scene just to make sure nothing was overwriting the color component of the text. Then after reading your comment, I decided to open a new scene, create a canvas -> text and it worked as intended, colors change according to the editor. Then I went back to my scene with the bugged out colors and it was gone.