Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Weird animation issues in 2019.3

Discussion in 'Animation' started by richardmv, Jan 29, 2020.

1. richardmv

richardmv

I was working on a project in an older version of Unity (a release from late 2017 I believe) and had a fully animated character working well. I updated to a more recent version to access some of the newer UI features. In the transition, it seems something with the animation broke. I started with a clean slate and added a new character controller and animator controller, but now I'm having a lot of strange problems. When the game is not playing, the character is in a t-pose and the capsule collider is lined up about as perfectly as I think I can get it. As soon as I hit play, the capsule collider moves above my character and he falls up to his chest into the floor in what might be a falling animation (note that my animator does not HAVE a falling animation yet). I cannot move the character. If I have a walking animation activated, the character wiggles in place but does not play the walking animation.

If I remove the animator controller, my t-posed character flies around just fine. In my animator controller, I so far only have a t-pose set up as an idle animation and a walking animation I made on Mixamo.

Can anyone give me some advice? I'm not sure how things got this broken.

2. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

If you're seeing the hunched over pose at the start of this video, that's what happens when a Humanoid Rig isn't playing a compatible animation. In my experience that usually means you either haven't assigned an animation clip to the current state or the animation you assigned is imported as Generic rather than Humanoid.

richardmv likes this.
  3. richardmv

richardmv

Yup; I had to dig through some settings but I swapped from generic to humanoid animation and now it works as expected (though now I have my work cut out for me adding in lots of animations and tweaking everything to look right!) Thank you!