Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Wechat game support please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yuantaoHuang, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yuantaoHuang

yuantaoHuang

I strongly suggest unity give some attention on Wechat games.

Wechat is a social app on both iOS and Android.

1. Wechat has 0.9 billion users with a single language.(a huge unified market) Spend 30 sec to think about the market. For the sick of money, think about it.
    2. It already could run some complex game include multiple player games. Not just 2048 or other simple wWe. From that, you can see it's potential
    3. Wechat's goal is being the phone OS in the future. And it already is the top one app in Chinese people's cellphone.
    4. Wechat game platform could become a new platform independent from android market or app store.(think about the censorship things)
    5. You rival Cocos2d, although it is sh*tty, it supports wechat game now.
    6. The only problem of unity for supporting Wechat game is the final package is too big. If Unity can simplify the file and make the file package fit the standard of wechat game, it will be perfect.

Thank you for your attention.

Really? You don't know what is wechat? Ask your Chinese colleague I believe there must be tons of Chinese employee in Unity.

2. FMark92

FMark92

Can you substantiate this claim? All games so far look like 5 minute time wasters/card games with social network plugins.
    And from what I've read game sizes are very limited.

Thanks for the light chuckle.

Just make wechat in Unity.

theANMATOR2b and Kiwasi like this.
  3. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Wechat is/has it’s own framework, use that to develop “games” for it. It’s has it’s own system, unity can’t export to. Tencent would have add support for unity, not the other way around. Contact their support.

hippocoder likes this.
  4. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

Well there's a simple reason why most games are exclusive to Google Play and App Store: people come there to get their games, not to s***ty WeChat's games :)

I'd much rather have Unity spend their resources on improving the development experience rather than trying to get featured on 1 app.

hippocoder and Joe-Censored like this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, I understand that WeChat is basically the Facebook of China, but while it may have a large number of users the total revenue is far lower than that of Facebook. According to Tencent themselves their revenue is only about $1 billion (about 6.9 billion RMB) from a total user base of 1 billion.

https://jingdaily.com/tencents-online-ad-revenues-soar-as-wechat-claims-nearly-1-billion-users/

Contrast that to Facebook which is bringing in $40 billion (about 253 billion RMB) from a total user base of 2 billion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook

Clearly Facebook users are more valuable than WeChat users by a large factor (about 20 times).

hippocoder, DroidifyDevs and Peter77 like this.
  6. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

and even then there is no clear target on Unity for some newer FB stuff either like FB Instant which needs html 5 that can run both on desktop and mobile browser. Unity's webgl does not work well if at all on most mobile browsers

7. QFSW

QFSW

I use WeChat since most of my friends are Chinese, and really I don't see a point in adding WeChat support: most WeChat user's really don't use WeChat as their source of games, and it really is just simple games

hippocoder likes this.
  8. ThierryLScott

ThierryLScott

you are right wechat mini apps are getting very popular

9. FMark92

FMark92

you are right wechat mini apps are getting very popular

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.