Search Unity

WebVR 360 Video Playback

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by dallatorre, Feb 14, 2019.

1. dallatorre

dallatorre

Hello everyone,

I am looking to develop a VR Application (more details below) and I need to play 360 videos.
    I want to deploy this APP in the web (WebVR) and I cannot make "Video Player" play content smoothly in WebGL.
    The video appears laggy (10-15 fps) and the audio out of-sync.
    Also the quality is *****
    1. Is there a way to gap this performance problem and get smooth VR playback?
    2. Are there other primitives/plugins/services that might do the job properly?

_Project Outline_
    My grand goal is to create a short movie (filmed with VR cameras) where the spectator will make certain choices and thus proceed in different narrative branches.
    Better if deployed on a web page so users wont need an app just to view a single movie(I hate installing things)​

_Technical Outline_
    I am playing back the videos trough unity "Web Player" yes i am using a URL source
    The player projects the video on a same-sized render texture 3840x1920 [No depth buffer] which is the bare minimum resolution for usable VR videos
    There is a Skybox Material that uses that render texture [Lat Long layout] [render queue from shader]
    The scene Skybox is obviously this one.
    Unity 2018.3 - Mozilla Unity WebVR based
    Everything works flawlessly on Desktop and Android builds!
    I am using a trivial web server "Fenix" to locally host my content.

Thank you everyone for reading my post
    I am attaching the exported project while the sample video is here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hE7Wo5-KEEnvhKJvepBz8VWzh0wNmbh2/view?usp=sharing
    please download it since drive doesn't always permit external streaming.

Attached Files: