Search Unity

WebSocket support

Discussion in 'Web' started by vincentellis, Mar 27, 2015.

1. vincentellis

vincentellis

Any plans on adding this?

2. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

I believe websockets only support outbound traffic so given that limitation I'm not sure how useful it would be for games. WebRtc while a heavier stack would probably be more useful IF you can coax it to get close to the performance of UDP.

3. gfoot

gfoot

WebSockets are already available through the unitypackage here: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/webgl-networking.html

They don't only support outbound traffic, they are bidirectional, but a browser app can only function as a client so you must send traffic via a server.

They are slightly more expensive than a plain TCP connection, with the same delivery characteristics, i.e. everything is reliable in-order.

I made a plugin for WebRTC, wrapping PeerJS. I might make another for plain WebRTC if I get time. See this thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unitypeerjs-simple-webrtc-support-for-unity-webgl.310166/

I am not convinced about WebRTC though, it currently has really crazy packet header overheads and I don't think the people developing it have any interest in games, nor appreciation of games' requirements.

4. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Yeah sorry I guess a better way to put it is as you said requires a server (not outbound only). My main point is you couldn't get inbound traffic without the server in a peer to peer sense (browser a to browser b). I don't mind having the server for the discovery phase but after that I would like to drop the middleman.

Yeah those packet overhead costs are high. How was the latency that you saw?

5. gfoot

gfoot

I didn't measure the latency - I didn't even test with more than one machine, just two tabs in Firefox (well, I tested Firefox-to-Chrome as well). It should be the same as normal UDP though, as it is tunnelled over that, just with lots of headers, and mandatory encryption.