Search Unity

Webplayer offline development doesn't work on 4.5

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Checco-Esimple, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Checco-Esimple

Checco-Esimple

Since the update to Unity 4.5 we're not able anymore to have an offline version of the webplayer.

The problem is both on Windows and Mac, the plugin installed is already the latest version available and happens with different

The attached screenshot shows the error on a Windows VM disconnected from the internet. (with car complete project from asset store)

This is a major issue for us, since it blocks the player at all.

please let us know urgently.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

The EULA for the web player says you need to be online in order for the usage statistics to be collected. There is no "offline" web player. The installer which you can download from:

http://unity3d.com/webplayer

is just one of three components. The installer has the "plugin" component, which is what gets embedded into your browser. This plugin downloads the remaining two components (the Player and Mono) on demand the first time you view Unity content. It's expected that a machine which is not online will not be able to download and install these two components.

I don't believe anything has changed at 4.5.

3. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

What Graham said.
    The "offline" build option only means that the webplayer will not get the plugin detection JS from our servers but it is placed next to the html output instead and referenced locally by it.

4. Checco-Esimple

Checco-Esimple

Schubkraft I understand what you say, in fact the documentation says: "This enables the player to work with the local script file even when there is no network connection". But which is the advantage if the JS is running without connection if unity webplayer doesn't?

I'd like to clarify that the machine where I did the test already downloaded and run successfully contents when it was connected to the internet (so the plugin had the chance to download the additional components other than the webplayer itself), but stopped running when I switched off the connection.

5. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

If the web player on the machine has the same version number as the content you create, then an offline build of the car project should play back without any connection to the internet. If this is not the case for you, please confirm the exact version of the web player, by looking at the install folder, and the plist files that are contained in the Loader, Player and Mono folders, and also the version of the unity3d file. You can do this by looking at the file in a hex editor, and looking at the first 20-or-so bytes. You should see a sequence of ascii characters.