Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. We are updating our Terms of Service for all Unity subscription plans, effective October 13, 2022, to create a more streamlined, user-friendly set of terms. Please review them here: unity.com/legal/terms-of-service.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

WebGL WebSocket Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Unity Transport' started by jasonkappes656, Oct 20, 2021.

1. jasonkappes656

jasonkappes656

I am making a multiplayer WebGL application. Currently, clients can play together over local network, but I have been unable to get connections to work over other networks. The WebGL socket in MLAPI 0.1 are (confirmed) to not be working, so I have been using a custom WebSocket community transport. This is a thread I'm making to discuss my process, logs, and build. I'm hoping someone can eventually point me in the right direction to fix this.

Release:
    MLAPI 0.1 package
    Unity Version: 2021.1.22f1

I downloaded the community WebSocket transport from https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...nsports/com.mlapi.contrib.transport.websocket

To fix WebGL compilation errors, I was told to apply:
    Manually Applied: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/com.unity.netcode.gameobjects/pull/724

To fix WebGL browser errors:
    Disable compression: Player Settings -> Publishing Settings -> Compression Format -> Disabled

Setup Steps:
    - For WebSocket Transport component, I had to set SecureConnection=False. HTTPS wasn't working for me, I'm not sure why.
    - I uploaded my WebGL build to a custom Github Pages site. Under site settings for the page, I needed to 'Allow' insecure content... since GitHub is HTTPS and the game was over HTTP.
    - Since a WebGL instance can't be a server, I needed to compile a Windows version of my application.
    - I launch a Windows instance of the application as 'Host' and enter in my IP for connect address and 7777 as port.
    - From a different computer, but on the same network, I run the WebGL instance of the application on my GitHub page and select 'Client' and enter my IP and port 7777. I can connect in this case and both players can see each other.
    - I restart the Windows instance. However, on the Client's computer, I switch the network to my Phone's hotspot. Then, I launch the 'Client' instance on the WebGL page. This time, the client instance cannot connect and neither player's can see each other. It looks like the error is just that I can't connect to the Websocket from the client's instance.

I attached a picture of the failure logs from the client's browser. I also uploaded the client's browser logs when he is connected to the same network, versus a different network.

Please let me know if there is a certain section of information that I can provide to help debug the issue. If anyone can point me in the right direction to help solve this, that would be much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. jasonkappes656

jasonkappes656

More information on the issue. The WebSocket opening handshake timed out. This happens on all browsers I test, FireFox and Google Chrome

The JSWebSocketClient.Connect() function is being called... but it's external. So this is what I'm looking into.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    Karsten likes this.
  3. Karsten

Karsten

I can confirm that this is buggy in Websocket community transport for WebGL/Webassembly builds, it works with native client in Unity editor playmode if you hack in a sslprotocol configuration setup into the websocket-sharp websocket (its set to none by standard, which is ultimative bs btw...)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  4. Karsten

Karsten

Hi, do you know already from what source code the JSWebSocketClient has been made from?
    I want to join you to solve this issue which gives me sleepless nights since weeks
    edit: alright its a java lib so the source to start looking is there in JSWebSocketClient.jslib
    I also started to look into this , please let me know if you find something useful , i will do too

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  5. jasonkappes656

jasonkappes656

I found out that the port specified for websockets matters. You should use port 80 for unsecure websocket connections (ws -> http) and port 443 for secure websocket connections (wss -> https). I'm able to get LAN multiplayer working with a WebGL build running from these ports on a website.

I haven't continued onward, but in order to have other computers connect to you, your WIFI has to have the right port forwarding setup and also a dedicated server from my understanding.

6. Karsten

Karsten

Hmmm, and when you before tried a custom port it didnt work?
    However I find it a bit bad and strange, that we need to use the standard https port, thats a workaround but not a solution I think. however VERY MUCH thanks for your resonse I'll check that if I dont find a way in a week or so.
    Note: I also tried much and so far its crazy when trying with wscat tool , look the screen snippet, if you fast enough you can type and send 2 "pings" and even receive 2 pongs from the server until the connection is just dropped with code 1000 (normal close) for which no reason exists

Attached Files:

unityunity