Search Unity

[WebGL] Uploading my Game to Kongregate

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by KaseyW, May 1, 2015.

1. KaseyW

KaseyW

I am able to upload my game to Kongregate but the game itself is just a complete mess and I was wondering if someone could look over the steps I take and find the problem. The game works wonderfully in the IDE but I can not seem to get it to work well on Kongregate.. ontop of there is this huge issues with lag.

1.) Code the game, following the Space Shooter tutorial.
    2.) Build the game in WebGL (Preview):
    Player settings > Other Settings > Stripping Level > Use Micro Mscorlib.
    Player settings > Publish Settings > Enable Exceptions > None.​
    3.) Convert the "Release" folder into a .zip
    3.) Upload the index.html to Kong along with additional file "Release.zip"
    4.) This sits in the space where the game is for about 30 seconds.
    5.) The game finally loads, but there is a horrible delay and moments where the game freezes.

2. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Did you get it working? I cant find any instructions i dont know why its so much harder then using the webplayer which just gave you 2 files

3. KaseyW

KaseyW

The game works some times but it's a stretch to even say it works. I keep trying to upload in different ways to see if they work on Kongregate but Kongregate keeps kicking me off, or I break the page in some way. So far I'm having awful luck..

4. jhocking

jhocking

Kongregate's servers have been having issues today, with the forums going doing periodically. I don't know if that is causing your issue, but it can't be helping.

5. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I got it to work on gamejolt, I just zipped the whole package. Seems to take an ass load of time to load - okay I left it on slowest, lets see if fastest makes a difference. Okay fastest takes forever to build and seems to speedup the loading time. Now do we really have to upload both the release and compressed files as they are still pretty big

http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/queens-rampage/63507/

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  6. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Okay I got working on kong. What I did was delete the compressed folder, then zipped the root folder and uploaded that (if you just upload release and index youll be missing templatedata and the httaccess). I made sure to use "fastest" which helps the load time, and I didnt bother with the stripping because it only takes off .2 megs
    http://www.kongregate.com/games/Aiursrage2k/queens-rampage

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I found the most effective way was to zip the entire contents of the build output folder and upload that in one go.

Using the slow build option takes forever, but helps for performance.

Turning code stripping up to the max also helped loading times dramatically. Sure the build output is almost identical in size, but the load time drop is worth it. Doesn't make an apreciable difference to build time either.

All that said WebGL still sucks as a platform. You can check out Pond Wars in my sig, it's on Kongregate in both WebGL and WebPlayer. The WebGL version has longer loading times, poor quality sound, and has this annoying focus issue on Kongregate.

8. KaseyW

KaseyW

Thank you! I thought they were kicking me off because I kept deleting and re-uploading my game.

I read that the httaccess file is just for apchie serves.. though that being said, I have no idea what it means. I've had success in uploading my game with just simply zipping the release folder.. if I need the other folders how come it still worked?

This is upsetting... I want to focus my hobby on web development but it seems we live in a time that is going to make this diffacult.