Search Unity

WebGL resource cost, optimization and speed.

Discussion in 'Web' started by LastLance, Nov 22, 2015.

1. LastLance

LastLance

So, i'm spent ~2 days to optimize test progect to WebGL, set “Autoconnect profiler”, build it, run and... WebGL costs 3-4 times more resources to run. So, if u know, how to makes optimization better - tell me plz. (I'm allready read all stuffs around optimization, what i find here). Or any comments from Unity Team about speedup WebGL, or when WebGL starts be faster ~ 50% or more. I'm realy missing WebPlayer speed and resource costs.

Results on screenshot:

2. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

Are you, by any chance, using deferred lighting and the Standard Shader? That combination currently runs very slow in WebGL. Other then that, it is impossible to tell why you are so much slower, without more information on where time is spent.

3. LastLance

LastLance

All textures - Albedo only, size 256x256, 512x512 or 1024x1024 (1\7 of all). Format - dds (compressed in DXT 1), test same on PNG \ JPG \ TGA. Almost same results. (It'll be great if u say, what texture format better and for what point, coz i'v don't find really full info about it, nicest info was about dds, so i'm use it now). And i'm try forward, deferred lights and vertex lit(disltke result), and use Forward now.

My test settings and results: