Search Unity

WebGL Preview - Do you want to preview your WebGL scenes inside the Editor?

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Jacob-Williams, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Jacob-Williams

Jacob-Williams

With WebGL builds, it's a bit of a nightmare to preview something quickly. The process usually involves keeping some kind of local http server solution or uploading to a web server each time. In the past, I've used Dropbox to do this, but with support for serving HTTP files dropped, I was back to square one.

So this weekend, I tossed together a bit of a proof of concept, and it turned out to be pretty handy. This little tool starts up an HTTP server from inside the editor and lets you preview the WebGL build right inside the browser using a custom (full-screen with stats.js) WebGL Template. I'm thinking about cleaning up the code, writing a little documentation, and selling it on the Asset Store, but I'm not sure if this is something that would be handy to other developers.

Ultimately, I'm looking for a little feedback. Is this something you would buy from the Asset Store. If so, how much would you be willing to spend on it? If not, what other features would make it worth buying?

2. GMM

GMM

Personally i believe this is something that should have been in the editor to begin with, but i would likely buy such an asset at a 5-10$ price point.

3. mgear

mgear

I've used the normal Built & Run for webgl..
    is there some feature that doesn't work on that by viewing the generated local file directly in browser?

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. Jacob-Williams

Jacob-Williams

I never realized Unity now hosts a local HTTP server when you do this - they must have slipped this in without me noticing. Move along - nothing to see here...

5. GMM

GMM

Yeah, but having it in an engine window is pretty cool :p

6. Jacob-Williams

Jacob-Williams

I will probably just open source it and release it for free in a few days.