Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

WebGL Player Loading Time Optimization

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by alexusone, Feb 12, 2015.

1. alexusone

alexusone

somewhat similar to other thread about compression.
    When we run empty project my loading time for webgl project on both local and cloud server is about 60 - 75 sec. Basically im staring for unity preloader and i dont think is a bandwidth limitation?

So if there way to get something out at least in 5-15 sec? Nowadays people don't like to wait for long waiting time. If i compile simple project without unity i get mode out and working in the same time web page is opened. And some competitors instead of preloader have actually parts of the model pooping out one by one till scene is loaded.

Any ideas?

tnx

2. RalphH

RalphH

Administrator

I'd really like to see how that is the case; with an empty project, for me, it seldomly goes over seconds. What browser are you using ? How are you testing ?

3. alexusone

alexusone

Firefox lates one
    Win7 64 i7 8GB ram, 2 Gb video

i would be happy if its 1 sec load time :)

4. RalphH

RalphH

Administrator

Could you deploy the project and publish a link ?

5. alexusone

alexusone

6. alexusone

alexusone

ok never mind, i used slowest compilation method and i patched up server to accept compression now im getting 9 sec
    http://tinyurl.com/qfpb29u

There is splash screen after preloader "Powered by Unity" is is possible to remove it?

7. RalphH

RalphH

Administrator

Good. So not really a problem then.

As for the splash screen; yes, but for that you need the pro version (which you have).

8. JDMulti

JDMulti

Found out that the fullscreen button is bugged on Chrome v40. Entering fullscreen and exit again, my mousewheel will zoom in onto the 3d scene and the page looks totally off as how it started by first visit. The canvas is browser screen filling, I see only GL of the text WebGL and Unity logo is gone. The fullscreen button bound to right bottom corner and there appears a scrollbar now in both directions of the page. Is this related to your own code or the Unity WebGL standard layout that's bugged?

9. alexusone

alexusone

yep so far looks that we are good, we will be porting our project to see how it will come out.

As to Splash screen and Pro - so how do i remove it? When i go to Player configuration, splash screen button is not doing anything. My SN is for internal unity development team if that makes any difference (one that is on Google groups) .

10. alexusone

alexusone

I see same behavior on Firefox too. Looks like canvas stays expanded to the size of monitor. Not extremely bad for us as i can use JS to resize canvas again. but probably small bug in unity engine.

11. Kronnect

Kronnect

Although it's still too early due to beta stage, I wanted to support the importance of fast loading during startup in WebGL projects. Reason? Firstly, the web is different from desktop and the console. I think users are not used to wait long times in front of a web page, even if it's an application or game.
    Additionally, if Unity WebGL projects become very fast to load, we could think of other uses for Unity, like embedding them in other applications/web forms for minor tasks (but fancy ones!).