Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

WebGL on Mac with M1 Chip: Flickering models

Discussion in 'Web' started by tmiller_vb, Mar 30, 2021.

1. tmiller_vb

tmiller_vb

Hi there.

We have found that our models (especially if running an animation) flicker when we build to WebGL and run it on a Mac with an M1 Silicon Chip. The issue does not occur on any other device using a browser, nor does it occur on iOS or Android. It occurred in multiple browsers.

We've tried with the following Unity versions, none of which have fixed the issue:
    2020.1.15, 2020.1.17, 2020.2.0, 2020.2.4, 2020.2.7

Does anyone know if this is a known bug in Unity, or if this might be fixed in a different version?

Note: the reason we haven't upgraded to 2020.3+ is because of the outstanding Addressable/Asset Bundle issues which make us very wary about updating to that version without breaking the majority of our project.

2. tmiller_vb

tmiller_vb

We found a workaround for this. It involves changing the browser settings. For Chrome and Firefox only, go to the browser in Finder and then Get Info on it, there should be an option for “Open using Rosetta”. If you turn that on and then relaunch the browser, the flickering should be gone.

pws-devs likes this.
  3. LukeGeach

LukeGeach

This isnt really an option anymore as chrome and edge and safari are all native m1 now with no launch with rosetta option, only firefox remains with that option, are there plans to resolve this properly?

4. k10dutt

k10dutt

I am having the same issue with my unity game for WebGL, has anyone figured anything out?

5. unityruba

unityruba

Unity Technologies

Hi all, a bug report here would be *greatly* useful so we can repro this issue ASAP and look into it. I'll take a look at our bug backlog but I don't actually think there's an existing one for this specific issue.

6. k10dutt

k10dutt

For me, This issue only occurs if I use URP with WebGL. So I switched to standard RP and now it works fine.