Search Unity

WebGL Linear Color Space on iOS

Discussion in 'Web' started by tiggaxxx, Jun 17, 2021.

1. tiggaxxx

tiggaxxx

Hi.
    I work for a 3D company developing a WebGL software to render and customise objects (whatever the client wants) on their own webpage.

For past years we have always been working with Gamma color space, because i was never able to figure out how to make Linear Color Space on iOS. I have searched a lot, and i know that WebGL 2.0 isn't native on iOS. I also know about the experimental feature that allows iOS to run WebGL 2.0, i have tried it, but even so, it doesn't work well. And i can't ask clients to active this, because most of them don't even know how to do it, and don't care about learning how to do it.

Is there a workaround? Any way to make it work? Any suggestions?

I really want to make this work, the difference in quality is so big.

2. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

iOS 15 will be getting the new Safari with WebGL2 enabled by default, which will come out this Fall. Unfortunately the Linear Color Space in Unity currently requires GLES3 (WebGL2) features and won't be able to work with WebGL1, so it really is a requirement to have WebGL2. Asking people to enable an experimental feature on their phone of course isn't a solution, so the Fall and iOS 15 can't come soon enough.

wetcircuit likes this.