Search Unity

WebGL graphic capabilities

Discussion in 'Web' started by DomantasZal, Jan 21, 2020.

1. DomantasZal

DomantasZal

Hello I'm pretty new when it comes to using WebGL so I was curiuos is there a way to find out what would be the optimal quality of the models to use for WebGL project ? or I should just do some experimentations with Unity profiler and see what works the best ? I had an idea to do experiments while increasing the quality of models and see when it comes to the point that the loading takes too long. Is there a faster or better way to do it ?

Jamesarndt2018 likes this.
  2. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

so… the issue is that every browser, on every platform/device, will have different specs. Mobile will throttle frame rates, and browsers each have their own memory buffers/cache/overhead… Even the 'good' desktop browsers will throttle while it's filling it's own buffers (for instance, frame rates are slow while textures are loading – after half-a-minute you start seeing faster/smoother framerates)

Other issues are abstract, like whether it's better to compress for smaller download vs uncompressed for faster launch and usability.

Also, of course, what all is going on in your scene.

I don't think there can ever be a reliable answer…. You'll end up creating a zillion tests anyway.

Jamesarndt2018 and DomantasZal like this.
  3. DomantasZal

DomantasZal

Thank you for the answer, I will try experimenting and finding what works best for me !

wetcircuit likes this.
  4. Jamesarndt2018

Jamesarndt2018

I would make a general recommendation. Start with mobile specification for models and art assets and work from there.