Search Unity

WebGL game won't load on itch.io

Discussion in 'Web' started by Deleted User, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi, I'm a relatively new game developer and I just completed a Pong clone as my first foray into 2D.

The game runs fine in Unity, and it runs as expected in a Windows executable. However, when I followed the instructions to do a WebGL build and upload it to itch.io the game doesn't work.

The browser window opens on itch.io, I click run and I see the Unity logo with a progress bar, but when that completes I get a black screen. I waited for a while and nothing happened. It's a fairly basic game, so it should probably load reasonably quick.

I deleted the file and followed all the steps again, but nothing changed.

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this, so any help is appreciated.

Edit: Turned out to be a Unity version mismatch.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2019
  2. excelsior26

excelsior26

I'm having the same WebGL problem. Would you mind explaining a bit more what you did to fix the Unity version mismatch?

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ok, I completely missed this post. If you're still stuck then you need to access the console output from your WebGL game. So while it's attempting to load in your browser, if in Chrome hit ctrl+shift+I and you will see some output there, and it should contain the error/s.

4. aphrim

aphrim

So how exactly do you fix it? do you have to use a different version of unity or what? is it only broken on itch.ui?

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

The Unity version # that i built with and exported with were different. That was the error. So I reinstalled the old build and it worked.

6. L4ZZA

L4ZZA