Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games WebGL - Flight Zero (Abandoned)

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by adamgolden, Nov 21, 2021.

1. adamgolden

adamgolden

flight_zero_adam_golden.png

This is what I've been busy with since releasing Casual Racing. Flying around is all you can do right now. It can be played by anyone from the Select Game menu on my website (reached from the "Play Now" link in my signature). Note, WebGL 2 and a modern system with a keyboard and mouse are required. The current build is using Unity Engine 2022.1.0a15, URP 13.1.0 and Addressables 1.19.11.

flightzero.20211121.2.jpg

I actually wasn't sure how this would turn out when I first had the idea. It required expanding my tileset systems to support curvature, creating new cloud systems, a new skybox shader to blend between cubemaps by a horizon line in addition to the time of day blend, water and groundcover systems improvements, basic jet flight control and more.

flightzero.20211121.3.jpg

I won't be finished with an initial version of this until the end of next year. I have other priorities at the moment, so not much will be added or improved until spring or summer.. except that over the next few days I'll be writing a night sky cubemap generator to replace the low-res stars cubemap I'm using. That update will affect this soon, as it's something I've been putting off for a while that will also benefit my other games.

flightzero.20211121.4.jpg

The jet model is from Unity Standard Assets. Terrain texturing is just roughed-in and the world isn't populated with anything yet. There's a rudimentary day->night cycle that affects the entire "planet." There's a collision avoidance system for small hills that will add some upward force when you're getting too close to the ground, and trees are just pushed out the way if you get close to them - but if you fly towards a steep embankment or cliff, you will hit it. I haven't yet made it possible to actually crash the plane though, so you'll just get a scraping sound and damage flaring from the corners of the screen.

flightzero.20211121.5.jpg

It's definitely been fun taking this from idea to playable - looking forward to sharing more about it soon :)