Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

WebGL doesn't work Intel graphics card

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Dantus, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Dantus

Dantus

I am using a Windows 7 Notebook with switchable graphics cards. They are configured to be manually switchable only. When I try to open any WebGL demo, it doesn't work with the Intel graphics card, though Firefox still tries it and then crashes. Besides Firefox, I also tested Chrome and Safari.
    When instead the AMD card is used, everything works as expected.

I am posting here before I submit a bug report because I am not sure whether I missed some information about limitations. I checked the docs but couldn't find anything. I am aware that this heavily depends on the browser vendors.

2. jdi_knght

jdi_knght

Mainly curious: Which Intel chip? And are you using the stock Intel video drivers, or are you running the latest stuff?

3. Dantus

Dantus

Intel HD Graphics Family, but I have no idea whether it needs an additional number or anything like that. I am using the stock Intel video drivers. Because it is a very fragile switchable graphics cards thingy, I hesitate to update anything related to the graphics cards anymore. I tried it a few times with strongly mixed results and won't do it again :)
    I am using the latest drivers that are suggested by the vendor of the notebook, but those are not the latest drivers at all for the graphics card.

4. jdi_knght

jdi_knght

Oh, Intel and their silly generic "Graphics Family" names. If you want to get a little more specific, you can run something like GPU-Z to get a more specific model number. Or just the processor number (ie i5-2500K) is enough for someone to look up the corresponding GPU in the HD-series. I think System Preferences shows the CPU model in Windows if you right-click My Computer and hit preferences (I don't remember for sure though - pretty sure Device Manager shows the model number, mind you).

That said, for all I know, maybe the entire Intel line doesn't work with WebGL, so maybe it's not worth the work of checking unless someone can confirm that some Intel stuff *does* work. I was mainly curious so I have an idea as to what to expect/test when I start looking at putting together some WebGL stuff.

5. Dantus

Dantus

The processor is: Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz

The reason why I am asking this is also because I would like to understand the potential of WebGL, as there are quite a few computers that have just this kind of graphics card with outdated drivers.

6. jdi_knght

jdi_knght

True.

Anyway, if you do send in a bug report, the GPU is an Intel HD 3000. Might be worth attaching a dxdiag to the project submission so they can narrow stuff down if it *is* driver related or something they have to pass on to the browser vendors (Start/Run/dxdiag then copy/paste the text into a file and attach to the project). Good luck!

7. Dantus

Dantus

I will do that, thanks.

8. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

9. Dantus

Dantus

Thanks Jonas, wasn't aware of that.