Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

WebGL doesn't work in ie11?

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Onsterion, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Onsterion

Onsterion

2. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

IE is not yet supported for Unity WebGL. The biggest blocker is that IE does not yet support the Web Audio API which we use for audio playback in WebGL. I do expect that to change in the future, though.

3. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Any way to make an audio free web gl that does get supported from IE? my stuff doesnt have any audio.

Blarp likes this.
  4. jcarpay

jcarpay

+1

5. Onsterion

Onsterion

+2 o_O

6. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

AFAIK, that should actually work like that right now. Doesn't it for you?

7. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

never tried it. Just assumed ie was having problems so thought id throw that idea out there.

8. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Yes it will. I have made webgl builds and run them in ie11. It was a early 5.0 alpha build and the standard shader did weird stuff but it worked fine otherwise.

That being said I wouldn't get too excited about ie11. Since Microsoft is basically scrapping it and building their new Spartan browser to accompany the windows 10 release, the bulk of the html5 and webgl support will likely land there.

9. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

have no choice but to worry about since large group of the population is still go back as far as windows xp lol.

10. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Well I would say that's their problem. XP is no longer supported and is less secure than windows 7 even. Besides, if everyone keeps pandering to the XP users they will never get off of it.

11. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Tell that to a client who needs his website viewable by computer illiterate people.

12. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I do... All the time. I'm a consultant and that's my job :)

13. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

consult yourself right out of more work due to telling them thats their problem lol

14. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Well you don't exactly use those words, but nah. That's the great part about being a consultant... I'm hired for my expertise and to provide technical guidance. Occasionally you run into stubborn clients that insist on something silly like supporting IE6 or integrating with a wonky old system of some kind, but not usually. At any rate, yes you have to be professional about it but you have to be honest... you are the expert after all. That's how so many freelancers and even FTEs at places get themselves in trouble. Over promise and under deliver because they don't set the proper expectations up front.

Meltdown and seattlebluesky like this.
  15. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

Well you can offer your content as both WebGL and Web Player builds, and use JavaScript to decide which version to load on a given user's machine, in order to support a wide range of user configurations.

BrotenStudios likes this.
  16. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

For my projects its mostly catering to as many of the public as possible.. and the public is wary of downloading plugins.. hence the good of webGL

17. Meltdown

Meltdown

@jonas echterhoff

Which graphics API is supported by Unity and WebGL? Does it support the newer Direct3D 11 renderer in Chrome?
    If not, could you tell us which API Unity implements in each browser?
    Will you be adding the options in build settings to choose the renderer?

Thanks

18. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

The graphics API supported by Unity and WebGL is, unsurprisingly, WebGL :)

WebGL is a browser-based graphics API which is based on and very similar to OpenGL ES 2.0. Different browsers have different backends to actually implement the API (like Chrome and Firefox use ANGLE which renders WebGL using DirectX 11), but the features the API (and Unity) supports are still basically the same as GLES 2.0.

19. Meltdown

Meltdown

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought Unity might have only implemented certain features supported by WebGL in each API and there were still more to come.

20. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

If you look at stuff to come, eventually browsers will add support for WebGL 2.0, which will mirror the functionality of OpenGL ES 3.0. I suppose once this is a thing in shipping browsers, it won't be long for us to add support in Unity, but as always, no promises on future tech plans.

21. Meltdown

Meltdown

And what about DX 11 support in Chrome and Firefox, any plans for Unity to support this?

22. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

There is no such thing as DX 11 support in Chrome or Firefox.

23. Meltdown

Meltdown

Ok sorry, then I'm confused by those two statements :rolleyes:

24. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

ok, let me clarify. The only 3d rendering API supported by any browser released today is WebGL, which more or less matches OpenGL ES 2.0. However, different browsers, on different platforms may choose different backend APIs to implement the WebGL functionality on that particular platform - which may be OpenGL, or DirectX or something else. This does not change the functionality exposed to content, however - in an idea, bug free world content using WebGL will render the same way regardless of the backing API used by the browser.

Meltdown likes this.