Search Unity

WebGL builds in embedded browser

Discussion in 'Web' started by delphinius81, Nov 10, 2015.

1. delphinius81

delphinius81

I'm at the early stages of a project looking to embed a small WebGL mini-game inside of a larger C++ game (implementing the mini-game in the c++ game engine is not possible - it's an old engine and there isn't enough time to get people up to speed to do a native build). We want to embed either Chromium or Gecko/SpiderMonkey into our game to enable loading of Unity webgl builds. I'm just wondering if anyone has had success doing something similar. If we can go the Mozilla route (Gecko/SpiderMonkey), that would be best since there are some other js libraries that we'd like to use in the future. Anyone done something like this before?

2. fritzs

fritzs

we are looking for something similar, but havent found any solution yet... we desided to split the template into (left: 3D Unity-Scene, right: Web UI). But we also would prefer an embedded browser in our application.

Any news from your side?

3. delphinius81

delphinius81

That project ended up being dropped. We were able to embed chromium into the other game, and then load the unity webgl build from there - so it is possible. Should be more feasible today than it was 4 years ago since webgl builds have seen steady improvement. But t I cannot offer much advice on how the embedding was performed, as that was done by other people at the company (and I have long since left that position).

tldr; It can be done! But I don't have details on how.