Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question webGL build performance not the same when building from different PCs

Discussion in 'Web' started by g-ida, Jun 16, 2021.

1. g-ida

g-ida

Hi,

I encountered a strange behaviour in my webGL build yesterday:

When I publish the same project on two different computers (same Unity version 2021.1.7f1, no settings or scenes changed), the performance of the two builds is not the same.
    One runs smoothly, the other has noticeable lags and the animtion stutters. (tested on different Win10 PCs, Android and Ipad in different browsers, deleting library/Il2cpp_caches makes no difference)

This can also be seen in firefox profiler - but I am quite new to profiling and optimizing for webGL, so I cannot really tell, where the janks could come from...

build_schnell_14.jpg build_langsam_15.jpg

Does this make sense in any way? Hopefully somene has an idea in which setting could cause this problem...

Thanks in advance!

2. g-ida

g-ida

update:
    It somehow seems to be related to different Windows Users...

I am sharing a PC at work with my colleague due to corona-homeoffice: Pulishing the project on his account works fine, on mine I get a low performance build. (With my account on my PC it is also ok.)

Our licenses ar all valid and can be found by unity as far as I can see. (Only when I log in with my Windows account on his computer and open unity, a message pops up that I have no permission to write to Unity_lic.ulf file. I have to set permission by hand every time I restart the computer.)

3. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

That is really strange. I wouldn't expect it to be a licensing issue at all. I would expect differences in the build if the build settings were different. The profile graph doesn't show all that much useful info if you don't build as a Development Build (from the build settings), so it shows call stack function names. You would think if there was a permission problem during the build, if the emscripten optimization processes failed, there would be a build error.

I'll see if we can set up a multi-user scenario like you're describing, see if we can reproduce a similar behavior.

4. g-ida

g-ida

Yes, its very strange, build settings were exactly the same.
    I could provide a profile graph from a Development-Build if this is helpful in any way.

Thank you for your help!