Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

WebGL build failing during UnusedBytecodeStripper2

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by jonwingrove, Oct 29, 2014.

1. jonwingrove

jonwingrove

Hello!

I'm having trouble building our project for WebGL. The build process fails while trying to run UnusedBytecodeStripper2.

I get the following two errors, which unfortunately don't seem to give me much of a clue as to what I'm doing wrong:
    Any advice appreciated!
    Cheers,
    Jon

2. GabrieleUnity

GabrieleUnity

Unity Technologies

Hello Jon,

if you could file a bug report that highlights the issue it would be perfect. In case you do, please post here the case number so we can check it immediately.

3. jonwingrove

jonwingrove

Great - thanks! have done - it's case #643618!

4. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

I just took a brief look at this bug, and it seems that we don't have the example project attached, so I can't reproduce it. If this project is something that you can provide to us, we would appreciate it.

Can you submit a new bug with the project attached? Thanks.

5. jonwingrove

jonwingrove

Sorry - I can't attach the project (it'd be far too large / other reasons), and as I have no way of knowing which part of the project is causing the problem - I can't create a smaller project which re-creates this problem.

It seems this person is having the same problem (I get the same error on both OS X and Windows 7):
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/building-webgl-from-os-x.276982/

Thanks!

6. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Since we use the UnusedBytecodeStripper2 utility in a number of places, we can't be sure that this problem and the other one mentioned are the same.

Looking again at the Editor.log file submitted with the bug, I do see a
    System.UnauthorizedAccessException when we attempt to open the IFacebook.dll file. I'm not sure if that is a separate error or if it is related to the error from UnusedBytecodeStripper2.

Could you try this with a new project that uses the IFacebook.dll file? Maybe the same error will occur in a project that you can submit then. Thanks.

7. jonwingrove

jonwingrove

Hello!

Yes - empty project builds fine. Empty project with just Facebook added doesn't build - so looks like that may be the culprit.
    I'll just try our full project (without Facebook) and then I'll submit a bug report with an example blank+facebook project!

Cheers!
    Jon

8. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Thanks Jon. Please let me know the bug number when you submit it so that I can take a look.

9. jonwingrove

jonwingrove

#644028 :)
    Thanks!

10. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Jon,

I am not able to reproduce this problem using both 5.0b9 and 5.0b11 (our latest released beta version). In both cases, the WebGL build of the attached project works correctly. Also, in the Editor.log file submitted with the bug, I don't see the error that you mentioned in the original post. Is there something else that needs to be done to the project to cause this problem? Thanks.

11. jonwingrove

jonwingrove

Hello!
    I'm trying a couple of things - I think it might be due to us using Perforce (which leaves all non-checked out files as read-only). I'm trying to build with the entire project checked out - it seems to have gotten further in to the build this time, will let you know how it goes. (and this would be why you have no problem building our example project, as it wouldn't be all read-only on your machine).

12. jonwingrove

jonwingrove

yes - read only files stops UnusedByteStripper2 from working.

our game doesn't run - but it builds now! will investigate why it doesn't run later :)

13. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Thanks for tracking this down Jon!

14. Gangsta-Geek

Gangsta-Geek

I am having the same issue as well. What files do you have that are read only?