Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2020 LTS & Unity 2021.1 have been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

WebGL build failed - Unity looking for wrong version of Emscripten?

Discussion in 'WebGL' started by AnthonyPalma, Feb 12, 2020.

1. AnthonyPalma

AnthonyPalma

Hello! I'm having an issue building to WebGL (both my existing project and a new blank project). Part of the output of the error says it can't find a version of Emscription (1.29.0) on my computer, which is true - my PC has 1.35.9 installed. The problem is, I can't install 1.29.0 via command line because the Emscripten repo seems to no longer exist (you can try for yourself by following the steps here).

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this? I am on Windows 10 and have tried this with Unity 2019.2.13 and 2019.3.0 with the same result. Thanks in advance!

Here's that part of the build output that I mentioned:

stdout:
    Building build.bc with EmscriptenToolChain
    Output directory: C:\Users\CoreLabs\Unity Projects\2D Multiplayer Shooter\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Native
    Cache directory: C:\Users\CoreLabs\Unity Projects\2D Multiplayer Shooter\Library\il2cpp_cache
    il2cpp.exe didn't catch exception: Unity.IL2CPP.Building.BuilderFailedException: C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.3.0f6\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\WebGLSupport\BuildTools\Emscripten_Win\python\2.7.5.3_64bit\python.exe: can't open file 'C:\Program Files\Emscripten\emscripten\1.29.0\emcc': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

DrViJ likes this.
  2. AnthonyPalma

AnthonyPalma

Quick update: I completely uninstalled and reinstalled Unity onto a completely different drive inside my PC, but I'm still getting the same error. Also now my VC Code code completion is broken haha. What a day!

3. WilliamLeu

WilliamLeu

I was completely missing an Emscriptem folder in "Program Files". I fixed a similar issue by making the missing folders by hand in Program Files and copying the contents of "C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.4.7f1\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\WebGLSupport\BuildTools\Emscripten" into that folder.

Although, I'm somewhat mystified how I got to a state where Unity has the files it needs packaged within itself, but tries to reference it from a folder that doesn't exist.

unityunity