Search Unity

WebGL bloom broken? - Unity 5.3.1p3

Discussion in 'Web' started by codeisresistance, Jan 18, 2016.

1. codeisresistance

codeisresistance

Hey guys, I've been trying to get bloom (from standard assets) working in my webgl build for a couple of days with no success. I have been using HDR/Bloom with standard material emissive to create a glow effect. It doesn't seem to work when i build for WebGL.

I thought it might be something specific to my project, so I created a project from scratch with the bare minimum and it didn't work out of the box or with combinations of options.

I have set everything to deferred rendering, enabled HDR on the camera, set HDR values in the emissive of the object texture. I increased the quality settings for webgl builds. I have duplicated the standard/standard specular shaders and removed the #pragma exclude_renderers gles preproc directives, I've probably tried a couple other things that aren't coming to me off the top of my head.

Anyone have any ideas? can confirm? have a better way of doing glow? I'd really appreciate any help, thanks!

2. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

I have a 5.3.0 build here for webgl with bloom that works great. I'll try and get time to test my 5.3.1f1 install and let you know if it works for me. I don't run patch releases though so I can't help with 5.3.1p3 (otherwise id be reinstalling 20gb every few weeks - plus the web downloaders for 5.3.1 patch releases hang on an empty Next page for me - and it's the only way to get the runtimes that I see on the patches page)

3. codeisresistance

codeisresistance

Thanks for the reply, that would be a great help to have some validation. I am only using patch3 because my stuff is heavily animation based and the animation stuff has been a bit broken in the early 5.3.1 releases. I will also try to go back and replicate the glow project in 5.3 and 5.2 to see if the problem is something local. the webgl builds take so long it's a bit tedious to debug this way so i haven't gotten around to it yet.

4. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

Tested in 5.3.1f1 - in my case my bloom is looking for anything > 0.75f. It has a mixture of textures, spotlights, and light-sources to encourage bloom.

Results:
    Seems to work for me

Test link:
    http://www.filearchivehaven.com/downloads/UnityProblems/Bloom/

Notes: I've found this in the past, if I make the object static, it doesn't bloom the way you'd normally expect (and I believe thats normal for using static). But it was something to mention :)

... looking at the cube though, man, I love Unity sometimes :)

codeisresistance likes this.
  5. codeisresistance

codeisresistance

whoa, dude, awesome demo! that glitch is really cool, love it. Thanks so much for taking the time, I have yet to go back versions, I will update with progress.

Thanks again!

lloydsummers likes this.
  6. codeisresistance

codeisresistance

Ok, I've recorded some of my findings. I used a windows build as a baseline because it seems to be pretty much 1:1 with the editor, and then compared to a web build. I used default bloom values for all emission tests, and i only set the blue emission color when doing the bloom test. I compared between Unity 5.2.1f1 and 5.3.1p3

apologies if this is breaking etiquette for posting pictures.

Bloom Intensity with Emission Color - both seem to show that it works, but the color differs between Editor/Windows and the WebGL build on both versions of Unity.

Default Bloom with HDR Emission - Bloom seems to ignore HDR emission entirely in WebGL build. But the bloom itself does work, I didn't notice it until i brought it into photoshop.

So, while bloom does work, I still need per object glow, which is what I was using the emissive to control. I'm not sure if there is still something wrong locally, it seems pretty consistent across unity versions but not across platforms.

Not sure where to go from here, any ideas?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  7. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

I think you nailed the problem! I'm not relying on emission for the bloom effect in my build, so I probably didn't even notice the change...

8. codeisresistance

codeisresistance

I'm kind of at a stand still with this now, I'm not sure where to turn.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Do I need to enable HDR support or something manually for WebGL builds? I've googled until the end of the webs with no luck.

thanks Kerm_Ed, really appreciate you taking the time

awsapps likes this.
  9. codeisresistance

codeisresistance

One more shameless bump and then I'll let this die. Can anyone confirm my results? Can anyone from Unity pipe in to let me know if i'm missing something?

*edit above to inline the images.

awsapps likes this.
  10. awsapps

awsapps

Any ideas?

gagagua likes this.