Search Unity

WebGL and WordPress for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by ac429, Feb 16, 2019.

1. ac429

ac429

Hi All,

I'm working on a game as a hobby. I can export it as webGL and it runs fine locally. I'd like to host it somewhere like a blog, and I thought WordPress would be a good place to start.

Could someone who has more experience with this please answer a few questions for me? Keep in mind, I'm a beginner with WordPress. Thanks!

1) Do I need a non-free subscription with WordPress? If so, that is totally okay! I just need to know what is the minimum license I would need.

2) Do I need a server to host the files? I'm not really a server admin, so I'd probably need some help with that. Could I store the files in OneDrive or GoogleDrive, instead? Even better, can I just store the files in WordPress?

3) What steps do I need to take to host the game on WordPress?

Thank you for your time!

2. pod11

pod11

Im starting out myself, and had been looking around same subject, i think i may be of some help.
    1) wordpress is free tool to manage content, i think you are mixing it up with hosting your web.

Hosting website and getting your domain are seperate things from wordpress.
    watch some youtube tutorials about "hostgator.com" or on subject how to get cheap/free host and domain for your website, there are some on how to use wordpress too.
    From what i've seen its better to just buy some cheap hosting service.
    Either way wordpress is free.Service for hosting files is probably something you want to buy, and domain is usually free.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

1) Wordpress is a website content management tool of sorts, not a hosting service (unless the Wordpress company/org also offers a separate hosting service, but that doesn't have much to do with the Wordpress tool). You'll need some form of website hosting to deliver your WebGL game.
    2) You need some form of hosting, but that doesn't necessarily mean a full blown server. Research the available hosting options, as they are plentiful and the hosting market is too complex to describe in a single forum post.
    3) Once you have your own Wordpress site you'd just link to the page which loads your WebGL game.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Wordpress.com (aka the company) provides affordable managed hosting. That said don't feel like you need to go with them to have an easy time. Most hosting companies have one-click installation processes making it both trivial and quick to get started with Wordpress.

https://wordpress.com/pricing/

Joe-Censored likes this.