Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

WebAssembly memory usage

Discussion in 'Web' started by fwalkerCirca, Jun 4, 2019.

1. fwalkerCirca

fwalkerCirca

Do you have an updated document that covers WebAssembly memory use? Because this doc: https://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/09/20/understanding-memory-in-unity-webgl
    is out of date, correct?
    For example. This no longer applies correct?
    "At loading-time, there are also several browser’s temporary allocations during asm.js parsing and compilation that sometimes cause out-of-memory problems to some users on 32-bit browsers"

Also the initial memory allocation is no longer used? Even though it looks like the .json file still has the "TOTAL_MEMORY": definition in it.

What else does not apply? Where can we find more detail/updated information?

De-Panther likes this.
  2. AlexHell

AlexHell

It CAN't be "unused" because system must know exatly number of first allocated size to ArrayBuffer(heapSize). Smaller is better for user system

3. spvn

spvn

I might be wrong, but I think Unity even removed the textbox to enter the memory usage size.

I agree with OP, we really that article to be updated. Doesn't even need to be a rewrite, just update some parts that are clearly not relevant anymore with the move to wasm.