Search Unity

Web Site Bandwidth

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by yellowlabrador, Sep 21, 2006.

1. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

Hey All,

Is a 1000000 MB bandwidth transfer/permonth good enough for a game website?
    Thanks,
    Ray

2. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

That's hard to say. How big are the games? Given that, you can figure out how many downloads that gives you.

Generally I wouldn't like a site with a fixed upper limit... what happens when you get Slashdotted and a million people want to try out your free demo?

Another thing to look out for, is that 3-4 times since unity3d.com went online we've had single clocking hundreds of GB in a matter of hours. We never figured out how it happened, perhaps it was a download manager running haywire. If you can't protect yourself from these accidents you're always at risk of either having your site shut down or having to pay a big extra fee (without getting actual downloads in return). I'm not sure what one should do about it (and it hasn't happened again in the last 9 months).

d.

3. nickavv

nickavv

I'd say that looks like enough space for any site I would make, but yeah, how much big is your stuff an' stuff?

4. Samantha

Samantha

I'm curious about this too. If I were to host a site that holds a collection of webplayers (created and uploaded over time), in addition to screenshots and discussion about the game concepts (like a blog!), what should my minimum hosting requirements per month be? Webplayers can be pretty small, like in the 5MB family, and I would not be hosting executables. I'm also not expecting a big influx of traffic either... Anyone have any thoughts? I'm considering 20-30GB per month.

5. Mindless_Soul

Mindless_Soul

Don't you have an extra 0 in there? 1000000 MB = 976 GB.... Which I think would be plenty of bandwidth for one year even :wink:

6. pete

pete

i suddenly have 20gb of space and 500gb bandwith on mine as my host just upgraded me w/o a charge bump. i think i'm paying $20/mo through verio (though they bill for the whole year at once). i barely scratch capacity but i could see it going fast if i had alot of content/traffic. if you have a 150 - 300 mb standalone that gets dl'd alot, not to mention a forum that has content, it'd get chewed up pretty fast. but then... that's a good problem!!!

7. freyr

freyr

I have a single dashboard widget on my homepage plus some short films and random thoughts. Before I published the widget, I had about 1-2 GB a month, which jumped to 8-10GB when the widget got listed on downloads.apple.com.

This month is up to wooping 90GB, mostly on my mov files. Most of the exra traffic happened on or just after September 11, but I have no idea what it was -- my referrer logs don't show anything, and I have failed to locate any users with abnormal download behaviours... I guess I will have to do forensics on my access log to find out.

8. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

That depends on what you're doing. We clock that some months. I imagine that a number of medium sized (10,30,50 MB ?) free game demos that work on Windows might pull you up there, should they get popular.

Not to say that you can't start smaller (you probably should). Just annoying if your site's popularity gets you in trouble :)

d.

9. klindeman

klindeman

Open Fire was 17 megs for the standalone Mac version, 9 megs for the Widget, and 13 megs for the Windows version, and even though the widget got a majority of the downloads, it still has done over 2.2 TB of bandwidth since release in June 2006. Granted, most web hosts don't keep track that accurately, I think the host we use only catches about 10% of that.

10. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

Well, right now I got 100 GB space and 1000 GB transfer / mo.
    My host just double the space and transfer with no additional cost either.

Will be uploading a demo game and just track the bandwidth and see how it goes.

Thanks,
    Ray

11. Samantha

Samantha

Wow, that's a lot of space! Who is your host and how much does that package cost per month?

12. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador