Search Unity

Web Plug-In Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by marty, May 20, 2005.

1. marty

marty

So, where can I get a Windows version of the webplayer/plug-in?

Also, what browsers will you be supporting on each platform?

And finally, what's that "secret" export option crossed out in the new documents? Can you give us a hint? Is it maybe export to a Linux stand-alone file?

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

* The windows version of the web player will be released sometime post unity 1.0.

* On mac os x we will officially support safari, mozilla (camino / firefox) and omniweb

* On Windows we will officially support the most common browsers

* The secret export option is, well it's a secret.

3. socksy

socksy

It's to do with the new ******* they are releasing at the WWDC isn't it?
    [EDIT]That wasn't a swear word... Damn apple! ;)

4. marty

marty

Do you mean the long-rumored Apple livingroom-media-device thingie?

If so, why would it need a different player than the MacOS one?

5. socksy

socksy

No silly, the new console they are making with nintendo...

6. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Now that I've stopped laughing so hard (wipes tear from eye). A much more likely scenario sees Apple teaming up with Sony in some way as Sony/IBM (Apple's current chip supplier)/Toshiba have the Cell chip powering the PS3, Apple needs a new chip, games, media (from the Sony movie library for movies via iTMS), and Sony needs a stable, powerful OS for their machine.

Sony/IBM/Toshiba announced Cell in March 2001, just one month before the launch of OSX at it's launch party at Moffett Field (I still have my t-shirt from the private, employee-only Apple event). can you imagine the "Macs dont do games" arguement withering away when every PS3 title plays on the next generation chipped Macs?

I'm telling you, something huge will come down the pipes in 2006 ... wait and see.

It's why Apple isn't cursing IBM for only delivering single core 2.7GHz G5 chips ... the G5 is just a stopgap chip until ...... ?

7. socksy

socksy

Just because I said an unlikely thing doesn't mean I'm covering up all I know about the ibox and friends.
    Crap I've said too much ;)

Instead, suspect a gaming layer thing that it is easy to port games from windows, is nice and fast, neat, cool, works brilliantly and is generally much better than directx.

A guess: could it be an export function for a plugin for audion? Pwitty please?

8. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

I'll guess.... iTunes Visualizer Export or Mac OS X Screensaver Export

-Jon

9. tycholith

tycholith

I'll guess too: How about Dashboard Widget export for mini-games in Dashboard. ;)

Craig

10. socksy

socksy

Already there.

11. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

I'll toss my CDN $0.02 in as well ... it's "Export for Playstation 3".

:D

12. marty

marty

Okay, now I'll try ...

Mobile phone export. That's actually doable and it would rock.

13. socksy

socksy

I thought I said that but then I realised it was on idevgames, which just happens to be conveniantly down at the moment. PS3 has been rumoured to have apple support because of the recent doings with sony and apple. Most people then discount this to have something to do with bluray.

I hate playing games on my phone-it's so small and so sloooooooowwww... And I wouldn't believe it would be doable, as they would have to redo the engine in J2ME.

14. sleepyCat

sleepyCat

the secret export option might be OS X on x86 ... sorry could not resist the general frenzy ;)

15. Verlsnake

Verlsnake

Hello dear makers of the Unity game engine !

I have just come across the Unity game engine recently.
    I am interested in technologies for delivering web-based gaming. And since this thread is
    about a Unity web plugin for Windows, I am very curious to hear what the plans are for it
    right now.

Will Unity + its web plugin be comparable to Director + Shockwave plugin ? Or even a better development and delivery environment :idea: ?

Admittedly I am very excited about this potential new Unity alternative for creating interactive 3D content for the web :D !

Servus und Tschüss

Kai

16. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

We will release a beta preview of the web player for windows internet explorer this month.

So are we. We want the Unity Web Player to pick up where Macromedia left off 3 years ago when they stopped improving Director / Shockwave.
    Our long term goal is to establish the Unity Web Player as the de facto standard for interactive 3D web content.

17. taumel

taumel

Hi,

>>>So are we. We want the Unity Web Player to pick up where Macromedia left off 3 years ago when they stopped improving Director / Shockwave.
    Our long term goal is to establish the Unity Web Player as the de facto standard for interactive 3D web content.<<<

3 years? Interesting! :O) It seems that i might have missed some updates then, as i'm counting 5 years already...*sigh*

Greetings,

taumel