Search Unity

Web player support

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by Ehnn, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Ehnn

Ehnn

Does unity analytics work with web player?

It seems to not be working for me, starting with step 5 of the integration not getting the data across, and then even if a different platform is used to set it up the data gathering doesn't seem to work

just looking for an official "no, not supported" so I stop trying to fiddle with it on web

2. mbirk

mbirk

Unity Technologies

Sorry, the only supported platforms during our Beta period are iOS and Android. We do plan to expand to other platforms in the future, but we do not yet have a specific timeline.

toddh likes this.
  3. Ehnn

Ehnn

thanks!

4. arumiat

arumiat

If you're looking to start getting analytics on the webplayer you can sign up for Heap analytics for free (awesome in its own right) and use its custom API to track necessary events within the webplayer.

5. markychoi

markychoi

I have an update to @mbirk 's comment. We're currently working on extending support to additional platforms, one of which is the webplayer. Given our current timeline, the delivery date is expected to be around GDC.

6. johnsteinberg

johnsteinberg

+1 Vote for web player. This would be a nice alternative to something like Parse and stay in the Unity Toolset family.

7. ViNull

ViNull

Hmm... suppose I should have read up on this before I put it in a web game :/ It worked in the the editor for the test, so I just assumed it would work in the web player.

As a side note, I started adding it to a second project but got an AnalyticsResult from StartSDK as UnsupportedPlatform. This is in the editor. My guess is something is messed up with the project since I've opened this game in the Unity for PSM - the reason I came to the forums is to see if anyone had this experience, but since there isn't any web support I guess I'll put this on hold a bit.

Also means I'll need to find a new topic for the game user group meeting in Feb >.<

Update: I deleted the Library and obj folders and the error went away

8. kentunity

kentunity

Unity Technologies

Hi ViNull,

Currently our SDK on the Editor only supports iOS-Editor, Android-Editor, StandAlone-Editor.
    So getting the "UnsupportedPlatform" is normal if the platform is for Playstation.

You can see the supported platforms in UnityAnalytics.cs line 1.
    This will change overtime as we support more platforms.

9. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

And another +1 bump for webplayer support. I'm rather stoked that Unity is making first party analytics API because I'm tired of chasing around between them all. Bravo... go Unity!

10. ViNull

ViNull

Just following up - this was for all platforms Editor (Unity standard). The project had been opened and saved in Unity PSM, but the error was from Unity standard. It seems the PSM version left something in the Library folder that caused Analytics to not detect the correct version of the Editor. The error was also thrown in the editor during debug, not in a build. Once I deleted the Library file, the error stopped.

11. kentunity

kentunity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for sharing your solution, just need to better understand your situation.

When you say "all platforms Editor(Unity standard)", do you mean the "PC,Mac & Linux Standalone" platform?
    What platform is selected in your Build Settings when this Unsupported Platform occurs?
    "The error was also thrown in the editor during debug, not in a build" - which platform was selected in the Build Settings for the debug and actual build?

Could you also share which specific Library and obj folder you deleted for this fix?

12. ViNull

ViNull

Hi Kentunity - I'll try to answer as best I can!

Not platform, version of Unity - i.e. what you get why you download Unity off of the download link. I have two versions of Unity installed, the one I called "Standard" and Unity for PSM. The project had been opened in Unity for PSM, but the error happened in Unity Standard.

Build Settings - I tried several, going from the PC, Mac, & Linux standalone to Web Player by clicking "Switch platform" = Note I wasn't trying to click "Build" here.

By debug I mean by click "play" in the editor and testing the game in the Unity editor.

I delete the entire folders Library and obj (with Unity closed) for the project.

Again, my hunch was Unity for PSM left something in the Library settings that didn't get removed by Standard and the Analytics script though it was still in Vita mode...

13. kentunity

kentunity

Unity Technologies

If you look at the our SDK's UnityAnalytics.cs, we use compile time defines (like the code below) to determine if the current platform is supported.
    You could verify if the PSM's lib folder is messing up in determining the current platform by calling the following method:

Code (CSharp):
    2. void VerifyPlatform(){
    3.      #if UNITY_IPHONE
    4.      Debug.Log("iphone platform");
    5.      #elif UNITY_ANDROID
    6.      Debug.Log("android platform");
    7.      #elif UNITY_STANDALONE
    8.      Debug.Log("standalone platform");
    9.      #elif UNITY_WEBPLAYER
    10.      Debug.Log("web player platform");
    11.      #else
    12.      Debug.Log("Other platform");