Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Web Player Crash

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by John-B, May 24, 2011.

1. John-B

John-B

We've gotten a few reports of a crash in the web player which gives the following message: "Fatal error in gc Too many heap sections." That's all I know other than the crashes were on Windows (XP I think) in IE, and cannot be consistently reproduced. One user said they needed to restart their machine.

Could this be a memory problem? This particular program is a simulation that can generate very large arrays of data. The larger the arrays, the more likely getting this error. But only occasionally.

2. andeeeee

andeeeee

This could indeed be a memory problem but may be to do with the way Unity manages memory as opposed to just running out. It would be great if you could send us a bug report along with the project (or failing that, a link to the player might be of some use).

3. John-B

John-B

4. John-B

John-B

I talked to our testers and got some more info on the problem:

This is a simulation that generates and runs "missions." Each new mission generates a new data set, the longer the mission the larger the data set.

The crash only occurs when multiple missions are run. The longer the mission, the fewer missions that can be run before crashing. With the longest mission, the crash usually occurs on the second run. Which shouldn't happen since all the arrays are cleared before generating a new data set. So if it can run one long mission, there's no reason it shouldn't be able to run a second or third mission. This sounds more like a memory leak to me -- old data not being cleared out when it should.

The crash has been reported on Win XP and Win 7 in both IE and Firefox.

Closing the Unity browser window and reloading Unity does not "reset" things (i.e., enable a new data set to be generated). Quitting the browser does not reset things. Restarting the computer is the only way users have reported being able to get the simulation running again.

5. minevr

minevr

On snowleopard 10.6.7

Change webplayer files.

Attached Files:

6. John-B

John-B

I don't know what that means, about changing files or the screen capture dialog.

7. John-B

John-B

After more testing, we've learned one more thing that makes this problem even worse. Testers say that even if the sim doesn't crash, after they run it once it bogs down their machine (Windows). Everything slows down after closing the browser window and quitting the browser. The only fix, just like when it crashes, is to restart. This is a serious issue.

8. sonicviz

sonicviz

I am getting this within the editor, seems to be on a regular basis. Win 7 x64. I have to kill Unity via task manager and restart it.
    Anyone else getting this in the editor? Any clues as to the possible triggers?
    The project iteself is not huge, though it is procedural based, and I have a lot of assets in the project...not using so much just for learning.prototyping purposes.

9. g2mediagroup

g2mediagroup

Has this thread died? I have a current browser crash problem, web player crashes on an older G5 OSX tower (10.5.8), firefox 3.6.19, Safari 4.x - 5.06...unity web player 3.4.0f5 (updated to see if helped).

Plays fine on newer Intel based Macs...I'll be testing Windows XP/7 soon.

Anyone have OS X problems?

thanks