Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Web Player beta

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Joachim_Ante, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

We are closing in on Unity 1.5.1 and i'd like to give everyone a chance to check out the latest web player before we release it.

We have fixed or better worked around a gazillion of OpenGL driver bugs on Windows, with specific testing against broken Hardware/Driver combinations.

I like to believe that the web player is now running very solid on windows even on 6 year old graphics cards, where no one bothered to update drivers. If you have access to a windows machine, please give it a spin.

The mac version of the web player has also received a major upgrade with support for pixel shaders on MacBooks, support for Firefox on Intel and a bunch of performance optimization when loading web player content.

OS X download ppc:
    www.otee.dk/download_webplayer_beta/webplayer-ppc.dmg
    OS X download intel:
    www.otee.dk/download_webplayer_beta/webplayer-i386.dmg
    Windows:
    www.otee.dk/download_webplayer_beta/UnityWebPlayer.exe

Some web players to test against:

http://unity3d.com/webplayers/js_performance/index.html
    http://unity3d.com/webplayers/CarDemo/index.html
    http://unity3d.com/webplayers/FPS_Tutorial/index.html
    http://www.mjcproductions.co.uk/sonic_game/beta/mjc-sonic-beta101.html
    http://adamsi.com/clockwork
    http://spielwiese.marune.de/_uni/index.html

If you encounter any problems. Like backwards compatibility issues with some web player content or crashbugs.

Please report the bug with a link to the player as soon as possible. bugs@otee.dk or use Report Bug.app

2. Morgan

Morgan

3. pete

pete

not filing a report cause i'm guessing this is on my end. how big is the fps tut web player? the java test and the car demo did fine but the fps took forever to load the first time (faster but still slow on reload) and it lagged big time for me. i'm on a 6mb cable connection but i've been having some really really slow internet days lately. so it may be nothing to do with anything. i was getting like 4 fps at times, which could be my crappy puter but i recal the standalone ran fine for me before. i'll try to find some time to build a web player and test it locally. quicksilver 733mhz g4, 1gb ram, 256mb ati radeon pro.

i'll try to test on a pc but i'm stuck at work through the wee hours...

4. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

It runs fine on a G5 dual 1.8 here at work. But in certain situation you can really slow it down, especially when physics and particles are displayed together... so no wonder that its slow on the good old quicksilver.

5. taumel

taumel

@Morgan
    No this was my fault as it wasn't done correctly. In earlier versions a transform was sufficient for also influencing the rigidbodies. Now sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...put it offline?

6. pete

pete

yeah i assumed it was just the good ol quicksilver. i just recall it running better than that in the stand alone. but then again i need some sleep!

7. marty

marty

Heya Taumel,

On the cool demo with the colorful building blocks that you fire at, what all did you do to get the render to look the way it did? Pretty neat!

8. taumel

taumel

Thanks! It's about the colours and the settings for the glow...

9. marty

marty

That's just Glow? Wow! I really need to start playing with the render stuff.

Thanks, T!

10. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Many thx, works great now.

Cheers

11. Morgan

Morgan

Does anyone else see a really bright glare from top left of my game when windowed--and then the glare is gone when you go fullscreen? Look at the top-left edge of the wheel and the ice. It's near white in places, and then the glare is all but gone.

http://adamsi.com/clockwork/

(If you don't see a glare, hit Esc to restart the level--that makes the glare come back.)

I've noticed this glare coming and going at odd times in the editor too--and from machine to machine (which I first thought was a gamma issue). So I don't think it's just the webplayer.

It seems like the lights are changing in some way--and it's not just the number of pixellights: fewer pixellights does cause more glare (this is natural), but on top of that, even with zero pixellights, I still see this difference too.

Is this a bug I should file or is there an explanation I'm missing? (The extreme variation makes it hard to get the lights right.)

12. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

I get a glare up in the corner, but it just seems to be the specularity and the angle of the light. In "Best" quality mode it almost completely goes away... I'm guessing this is because you bump the pixel light count up. I don't think this is a bug, it's just the nature of the specular highlights on the shader. And it seems to be the same in full-screen mode as in windowed.

Or maybe I'm not seeing as extreme a glare as you're seeing.

13. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

The FPS tut actually seems to be running faster for me now. I'm getting between 50-110 fps (which is pretty erratic) depending on what's going on onscreen in fullscreen mode (1.25 G4 PB with 64mb ATI). I still have to go back and optimize some issues on this scene (thanks Joe for not hounding me on this lately, I promise it will still get it done), but 4 frames a second seems absurd since you have such a sweet GFX card.

14. pete

pete

oh after today i'm pretty sure my machine is just pissed a me. it's been getting a brutal beating lately! like 24 hours 7 days of high volume since may/june and she's an old dog! i just had to shut down to let it cool off. hit the "black screen of death" earlier today. never saw that before. freaked me out. in the middle of an operation, "you need to restart your computer." period. uh ok :? restart and poof! suddenly 1gb more space on the drive. a reminder that i don't know enough about the os. pretty solid though. didn't lose any data. i think the card being too much ain't helping. it's too fast for the cpu and it generates a lot of heat. so i think it's safe to say anything i'm hitting is on my end and i might wanna throw the mx back in for a bit!

15. Morgan

Morgan

It's not that the glare looks unnatural, but rather that it only appears SOMETIMES that is the issue--and it's not solely the proper behavior of pixellights, since my Webplayer allows you to control that with the Tab key, and the glare difference is there in both of the lower settings. (It is most obvious with no pixellights, and not visible with ONLY pixellights, so it is a problem with vertex lights I'd say.)

I'm on a Mac with Radeon Mobility 9600. If you see no difference in fullscreen vs. not, and I do, then maybe there's a bug I need to submit.

BTW - for some reason I do NOT see the glare until I restart the map--so hit Esc and you should see it appear. And then go away again when you go to fullscreen.

Clearest way to reproduce:

1. Hit Tab until the bumpmap on the big wheel is gone. (No pixellights.)

2. Hit Esc to restart the level. Note the bright white.

3. Go fullscreen: bright white gone.

4. Esc back to windowed mode (white still gone), then Esc again to restart the level. White is back.

That's what I see.

16. pete

pete

same results here morgan.

17. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

I see the white out with the steps you described... I also see it in full screen (in fact the whole top of the large gear goes white) if you rotate the whole scene a smidge using the arrow keys at a certain angle. But *only* in "vertex light" mode (lowest quality setting). It has to be the difference between pixel/vertex lighting.

Have you tried slightly changing the position of the offending light and/or attenuating the specularity of the shader on the large gear and ice? If you make it "shinier" it might go away.

Just trying to help. I think it looks great, but getting rid of these hot spots would make it look that much better.

18. Morgan

Morgan

Good--I'm glad I'm not the only one :) I will report a bug.

Rotating things can make all kinds of glare come and go, true. And I do want to get rid of the hot spots--but I can't really tweak the lighting until this issue is no longer in the mix :) It's not just pixel vs. vertex because even in vertex-only mode, sometimes you see the hot spots and sometimes (fullscreen) you don't. (In other words, it's a problem you only see with vertex lights, but still a problem and not consistent.)

It looks to me like the lights are actually moving when you go Fullscreen. It's hard for me to imagine how that could happen though.

19. pete

pete

was the beta updated? i just reinstalled it to be sure i was using it. yoggy's lod test and ian's morph work in the external tools forum both give me failed to update player errors.

20. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Beta was updated a couple of times, but it might be that the webplayers you tried just are newer. Webplayers produced with a beta version of Unity will not work in the wild, use them at home only. In short: don't publish beta webplayers, and if you find one, don't expect it to work.

21. pete

pete

d'oh! i was thinking the latest webplayer beta was compatible with the latest unity beta...

22. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Yes it is. Have you downloaded the webplayer from this thread (which might not be from the latest beta, gotta check that) or do you actually installed the one from the latest beta? Anyhow, I'll look at what's happening exactly in there. But the general rule is: don't show beta webplayers to anyone except yourself.

23. pete

pete

the one from this thread

24. jordan

jordan

Webplayers produced with a beta version of Unity will not work in the wild, use them at home only.

25. jeremyace

jeremyace

Please check the dates before you post. The last post to this thread was in 2006.

-Jeremy