Search Unity

Web Player and Chrome

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by boolfone, Jun 6, 2016.

1. boolfone

boolfone

Does anyone know why Google Chrome doesn’t seem to be able to run the Web Player correctly?

I keep getting this message in Chrome:

“Sorry, Google Chrome can't run this app
    You are using Google Chrome that does not support the Unity Web Player plugin needed to run this app.
We recommend using another browser, such as Firefox, Safari.”

Thanks.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

The description seems pretty clear to me. I don't know if you're asking on a philosophical level why the Chrome folks don't support the Unity Web Player, or what.

But the reality is, they don't, and they're probably not going to — Unity doesn't even support the Unity Web Player anymore. It's all about WebGL nowadays. Unity Web Player is kept around for existing apps, but it's deprecated.

Kiwasi likes this.
  3. orb

orb

More specifically Chrome does not support browser plugins anymore, apart from what it builds in (Flash, encryption add-ons for video streaming).

JoeStrout likes this.
  4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Simply put the browser companies have been removing NPAPI-based plugin support due to security concerns. Internet Explorer was one of the first to have it removed (starting around IE 6), followed by Chrome (version 42), and Firefox will be the last come the end of this year.

If you're trying to develop a web game then you will need to use WebGL instead.

https://www.infoq.com/news/2015/04/chrome-42-npapi
    http://arstechnica.com/information-...i-plugins-by-the-end-of-2016except-for-flash/

Kiwasi, JoeStrout and UnityMaru like this.
  5. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I suspect you've downloaded but not actually installed (or activated) the plug-in.

Ryiah likes this.
  6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

It's typically not worth the effort to play web player games these days. Give up on the game and move on.

tedthebug and Ryiah like this.
  7. tedthebug

tedthebug

You'll need to get the person that made the game to update it with a new build. It isn't a Unity issue, it's an issue with the browser companies & their browsers.

DesertRaven likes this.
  8. karmadir

karmadir

But, Web GL is working fine.

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

WebGL is not the same as the Web Player. The Web Player was the original way to create and play web-based games. The Web Player has existed since the very beginning of Unity which makes it about twelve years old while WebGL is only about two years old (though the technology it's based on is seven years old).

https://unity3d.com/webplayer

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  10. karmadir

karmadir

Thanks for explanation