Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2020 LTS & Unity 2021.1 have been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Web Hosting Question

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by yusefkerr, Feb 2, 2021.

1. yusefkerr

yusefkerr

Hello, my current web hosting service is shutting down and so I'm looking for a new service. Long, long ago, I used to put small Unity projects on my main portfolio site using Unity web player, and I'd like the ability to do something similar with HTML5 and webGL builds.

I asked a couple of web providers whether I could host Unity projects on their servers, one told me it'd cost £2000, and another told me that although their servers deploy node.js, they didn't think I'd be able to host Unity games with them.

What suggestions do people have? Does anyone have a hosting provider that helps them out with this kind of thing? Basically, I want to build small single and multiplayer projects and art projects that people can play from my website.

Alternatively, is this just not practical, and should I just use itch.io or Unity play?

2. NoamSapir

NoamSapir

You can add webgl to every web host... It's html5.

You can't run game SERVERS on web hosting, you'll need vps.

3. yusefkerr

yusefkerr

Thanks for the reply, I've started to investigate different VPS options and after getting a few pointers from other people, the easiest way to set that up would be to use Virtualmin to create a LAMP website on a server from AWS or Digital Ocean (I'm very new to this so hope that sounds about right). From there, I'd be able to run a Unity game server.

However, also long,long ago (around 2011), I installed and built a demo from Photon with some modifications, and I'm wondering what the pros and cons are between setting up my own VPS and simply hosting via Photon. I'm wondering what restrictions I might encounter with Photon. For example, if I wanted to create a game/app/artwork where people could upload photos and other media, or if I wanted to input data either from real-world sensors or from open data streams like weather, would I run into obstacles doing that through Photon?

unityunity