Search Unity

Discussion Web Hosting Question

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by yusefkerr, Feb 2, 2021.

1. yusefkerr

yusefkerr

Hello, my current web hosting service is shutting down and so I'm looking for a new service. Long, long ago, I used to put small Unity projects on my main portfolio site using Unity web player, and I'd like the ability to do something similar with HTML5 and webGL builds.

I asked a couple of web providers whether I could host Unity projects on their servers, one told me it'd cost £2000, and another told me that although their servers deploy node.js, they didn't think I'd be able to host Unity games with them.

What suggestions do people have? Does anyone have a hosting provider that helps them out with this kind of thing? Basically, I want to build small single and multiplayer projects and art projects that people can play from my website.

Alternatively, is this just not practical, and should I just use itch.io or Unity play?

2. Noamxrx

Noamxrx

You can add webgl to every web host... It's html5.

You can't run game SERVERS on web hosting, you'll need vps.

3. yusefkerr

yusefkerr

Thanks for the reply, I've started to investigate different VPS options and after getting a few pointers from other people, the easiest way to set that up would be to use Virtualmin to create a LAMP website on a server from AWS or Digital Ocean (I'm very new to this so hope that sounds about right). From there, I'd be able to run a Unity game server.

However, also long,long ago (around 2011), I installed and built a demo from Photon with some modifications, and I'm wondering what the pros and cons are between setting up my own VPS and simply hosting via Photon. I'm wondering what restrictions I might encounter with Photon. For example, if I wanted to create a game/app/artwork where people could upload photos and other media, or if I wanted to input data either from real-world sensors or from open data streams like weather, would I run into obstacles doing that through Photon?

4. JetsonHarl

JetsonHarl

We've been using Cloudways for quite a while, and it's incredibly reliable. if you are looking for affordable and convenient hosting, I'd definitely recommend these guys.

5. Saba_467

Saba_467

I am also looking for the windows vps hosting in budget , need guidance on it,can anyone suggest me the affordable one

6. tabithatortiz

tabithatortiz

Hey, man, sorry to hear that your hosting has shut down. As for hosting Unity projects, finding a provider that supports it without going can be tough. £2,000 sounds insanely steep, and if the other provider wasn't sure it could be done, you might be better off looking elsewhere. Have you considered going the VPS route? It might be worth looking into vps uk because, with a VPS, you will have more control over your hosting and can install any software you need to support your projects. In addition, you can scale your resources as needed without spending money to buy a new server. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck and all the best.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
  7. SladeCarter

SladeCarter

For hosting Unity projects in HTML5 and WebGL, you need a provider that can handle the specific requirements of game hosting. Cloudways could be an excellent choice for this purpose. They offer managed hosting services that can support various applications, including those requiring node.js, which might be necessary for your multiplayer and art projects.

Currently, Cloudways is running a promotion that could be quite beneficial for you: 40% OFF for 4 months on all hosting plans and up to 40 free migrations. Use the promo code BFCM4040, valid from 13th November 2023 till 1st December 2023. Make sure to request migrations within 4 months to benefit from the free migration offer. This could be a cost-effective way to host your Unity projects on a reliable platform.