Search Unity

Web hosting a multiplayer app

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by reset, Oct 14, 2009.

1. reset

reset

Hi there

I will soon want to host my multiplayer game.

I am a noob to hosting.

What do I look for in a web host package? Considering my game is a multiplayer game.

thanks

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

the webhost has 0 influence on the game.

The players will host the game. if you want to host a game, a webhost won't do it as the webplayer is executed on the client, not the server

3. reset

reset

Thanks for your prompt reply. :D

So I just need a host who will host my web app for the player to access and play in their browser and host a multiplayer session.

I want a High Scores database too - so they should provide a MySQL database too?

This web app will access a master server (say Unitys or DimeRockers) to host multiplayer games?

I have read here that DreamHost is the way to go - they seem good. But I will NOT need their virtual servers. Just standard web hosting?

And considering I am based in Australia, I should go with a US server as the games market is greater there. And the bandwith is better too.

thanks

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

For highscore you need to write a php backend and communicate to it through the WWW class but yes, you will likely want that if you want highscores.

Can't give an insight on their web services, as I'm europe based and don't use US hosting in any way

Potentially, depends on for who you want to offer it.

5. AriPatrick

AriPatrick

Dreamhost's standard package should work nicely for what you want. Basically all you need is PHP and MySQL support, and Dreamhost comes with that (plus more). I know this because I'm a Dreamhost user. :p

To answer this, I'd need to better understand how your game works. Typically, players host games and your server just stores persistent information, like a high-score table or server list, in a MySQL database. If you could give an example of a popular game that handles networking similar to how your game does, that would help me answer this question more precisely.

6. reset

reset

Thanks for your replies - all ace!!

My game is single and co-op multiplayer. At this stage there will be need for the player to save any info for future plays.

I assume I will not need to run my own MasterServer/Facilitator? As I can simply use Unity's existing one or maybe DimeRockers? Is this right?

Or do I need to run my own?

Thanks

7. AriPatrick

AriPatrick

If you're going to be purchasing web hosting, you might as well host your own MasterServer, but you could probably get away with using Unity's while you're developing/testing your game. Hopefully that answers your question. :)

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

Not that I have written it just above but: You can not execute any application on a webhost contract!
    Neither Unity nor the MasterServer :)

9. AriPatrick

AriPatrick

dreamora, it seems you have more experience with the MasterServer than I do, so could you outline what steps reset would need to take if he wanted to use the MasterServer?

I don't use the MasterServer in my applications, rather I mimic the functionality by storing a list of servers in a MySQL table, then connecting users to a given server upon request. Since I have not actually used the MasterServer, I'm interested in what steps someone would need to take in order to host and implement it into their game.

10. zumwalt

zumwalt

The host I use which I have linked in the thread for the public master server, allows you to run 'anything' you want on your own virtual server or dedicated server. Right now I am running a masterserver, a photon server, a custom server written in VS 2008 that I call PNetworkServer, and I am running smartfox server all at once, and my PCU ussage isn't over 5% across the board. It is insane. I have been shopping for a long time for a permanet host and the host I have now is who I am going to stay with.

11. Dreamora

Dreamora

For the master server to run, you basically need a full OS access to (compile and) execute the application which forms the master server.
    The 0.1 beta can be found on the unity website.

The master server though won't host any games or alike, just NAT punchthrough and as nice side job, game listing.
    For hosting, a windows or osx system is required that is capable of running the unity client at all and a highly optimized scripting and asset so it runs with a performance thats sufficient for more than 10 people ...

12. reset

reset

Thanks for all your replies :)

So I need a host that I can get a virtual server on so I can run the Master Server on this - this will take care of the NAT punch-through?

The host will also store my webpages and the Unity3d that users can download to the browser. And a SQL database to store users scores

So does anyone have any recomendations?

thanks