Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

☁ Weather Maker ☁ AAA Clouds, Sky, Weather, Water, Volumetric Light & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jjxtra, Jun 30, 2016.

1. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

Nice work @jjxtra -- your comments above on the lighting are really interesting too, sounds like you have some great plans to keep improving things!

2. Daniel-Talis

Daniel-Talis

Hi, has anyone tried Weather Maker with Map Magic? Thanks.

3. MetaMythril

MetaMythril

Any thoughts about the issue I was having with CollisionMasks?

4. jjxtra

jjxtra

I don't see any reason it won't work out of the box, but if you have any issues, email support@digitalruby.com and I will try to help and fix any problems.

5. jjxtra

jjxtra

Sounds like a bug for me to fix, will put in the next update.

6. jjxtra

jjxtra

Thanks. Anything you can do to let your fellow colleagues know about Weather Maker is always helpful. I'll keep improving the performance, visuals and feature set.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  7. jjxtra

jjxtra

Just FYI all, Weather Maker roadmap for future is (in no particular order):

- Option for better looking clouds, volumetric, more types, allow fly through.
    - Overhaul volumetric shadows in fog, including:
    • Better directional light shadows in fog.
    • Volumetric spotlight shadows in fog.
    • If spot lights goes well, point light shadows in fog.
    • Cookie support.
    • All the above will be in one draw call, with mobile and VR support, but not supported on DX9 as it will require texture array support.
    - Wetness overlay (like the snow).
    - Make materials for snow and wetness overlays so you can apply to any mesh renderer.
    - Better looking precipitation and splashes (rain drops, puddles, etc.)
    - New sky lighting, based off of https://threejs.org/examples/webgl_shaders_sky.html. This would allow far fewer vertices on the sky sphere and a less complex vertex shader.

Please suggest anything else you'd like to see, and see the above post for my request on detailed feedback.

Mark_01 and WildStyle69 like this.
  8. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather Maker is on sale now for 30% off. Get it while it's hot!

9. jjxtra

jjxtra

I've fixed this, will be ready in the next update.

10. AtomsInTheVoid

AtomsInTheVoid

Quick question! Haven't seen this in the videos and it's driving me nuts. The profiles seem awesome, but how do I actually use them? I can't seem to drop them anywhere. For example, the SkyProfile, where does it go? I need to change the Y Offset so my sun lands in the right spot on my map.

Beautiful asset, I'm looking forward to giving it a review

11. jjxtra

jjxtra

Hi there! They sky profile is attached to the sky sphere in the prefab. It's under the Sky object. Let me know if you still have trouble finding it.

12. AtomsInTheVoid

AtomsInTheVoid

Thanks! Ok, so... how do I actually rotate the sun? I mean, sure, I could rotate my whole scene but I figure you must have a setting there somewhere. I thought it might be the Y Offset in the sky profile, but maybe not.. doesn't seem to do anything that I can see.

13. jjxtra

jjxtra

There's a rotate y parameter on the sun object. This is attached to weather maker script in the celestial objects list. Click the root of the prefab and find the weather maker script and the celestial objects array. I've separated the sun positioning from the sky rendering. Let me know if you can't find it.

14. imgumby

imgumby

I see a note in the updates that there is now "world Manager" integration.Is that a separate asset ?? Can't find reference to it anywhere
    thanks in advance

15. jjxtra

jjxtra

It's on github: https://github.com/adamgoodrich/WorldManager

16. imgumby

imgumby

17. jjxtra

jjxtra

I've attached a GAIA compile error fix here. If you are getting compile error with latest version, replace this attached file.

Attached Files:

18. AtomsInTheVoid

AtomsInTheVoid

Getting the hang of it! Thanks for the help on the Y Offset.

Another quick question if you don't mind. When it starts to rain, the sky turns all grey which is awesome. But the sun is still shining through the clouds. Is this a glitch? Is there a setting for this? You'd think if the skybox clouds cover the sun, the directional light would account for this somehow?

19. jjxtra

jjxtra

If the clouds are medium or light this can happen, but if the clouds are filling the sky and it shows through we have a bug on our hands. Can you email me support@digitalruby.com and we will figure this out offline and I'll post an update if we have a bug.

20. AtomsInTheVoid

AtomsInTheVoid

I can take a look, but i just have the WeatherManagerRain enabled, and I believe the Heavy Rain cycle started

21. jjxtra

jjxtra

Thanks! We'll get this figured out via email. I'm sure it is something simple.

22. jjxtra

jjxtra

FYI All the sun intensity / shadow intensity and clouds issue will be fixed in the next update which I've already submitted to Unity. Thanks so much for the feedback everyone!

23. jjxtra

jjxtra

If you had to pick, would you like to see volumetric clouds (i.e. horizon zero dawn) in weather maker, or better terrain / material overlays like wetness, etc.?

24. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Some questions for integrating weather maker into my current project. Note we have one persistant scene defined containing the camera (player), splash screen, UI's and menus. Scene's are loaded on request containing their specific scenario and thus world positions. I've noticed I had to add the weather maker prefab to my persistant scene as dragging them in an actual gameplay scene doesn't work (propably a check to see if a camera is present, which isn't). However putting the prefab in my persistant scene does pose some issues: the skybox is always visible even during the splash screen. As my additive scenes do pose a specific atmosphere what's the best way to deal with this? Using presets of some sort? Go to assign the ambient light source for each scene (will be a scene specific script I guess) I also noticed although I did everything to have snow present in all my scene's the full screen snow overlay doesn't seem to work. I noticed the same with your complete demo scene although everything works with you blank demo scene, so I was wondering what's triggering this behavior.

25. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Another question: for some assets I need the current sun or moon object. Is there a way to get the most contributing ambient light source object (sun/moon) at a current moment in time? Fi in night I expect the moon location to be the source of light while during the they that should be the sun.

26. jjxtra

jjxtra

I added that gaia script to the post. Looks like both are needed to fix the error.

27. jjxtra

jjxtra

Does dragging it in your root scene and deactivating it work? You could still assign the camera property manually so that later when you deactivate it it should be ready to go? I'd suggest using a don't destroy on load on the root prefab object as well. Just deactivate it when you don't need weather effects. The full screen snow works best in deferred rendering. It can work in forward rendering but doesn't look as nice. A depth buffer is required for deferred rendering, depth normal buffer for forward.

For the demo scene (DemoScene.unity), I click play, then I find the full screen overlay object in the prefab (under precipitation) and double click the profile in the inspector then drag the intensity to the right and I see snow. Does the same work for you?

28. jjxtra

jjxtra

Can you post a video of the snow popping like you say? For the grass, I am investigating ways to make it opaque with the snow. Will get back.

29. jjxtra

jjxtra

Are you loading / unloading scenes or terrain dynamically? What about post processing are you using any?

30. jjxtra

jjxtra

Ok does the popping happen if you stay within range of a single scene, ensuring no new scenes are loaded?

31. jjxtra

jjxtra

Ok here's a test, change line 22 of WeatherMakerOverlayShader.cginc to be a 0 instead of a 2. Let me know if that changes the behavior at all.

32. jjxtra

jjxtra

Is the project at a point where you could send it to me? If not we can do a Skype.

33. jjxtra

jjxtra

I've been working on rain ripples for a new update soon. Please let me know what you think and what you would improve on, if anything :) Enjoy the video!

Mark_01 and cygnusprojects like this.
  34. Hitch42

Hitch42

Looks very nice. As for any improvement, it'd be nice to see the effect look different within the puddles. Also, some splash particles would be good.

35. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi Jeff, as promised an update on the issue. The snow pop issue I was able to fix this! It had nothing to do with your asset (which is great!). When reducing the project to share it I did remove the ground textures I bought and swapped those with free assets. Then I noticed the textures didn't look like expected so I rebuild/recompiled the RTP shader through the RTP LOD Manager. This fixed the snow pop at the same time, so it had to be RTP related as I expected.
    When to the production project and recompile teh RTP shader there as well and indeed the issue was fixed.
    The only problem remaining is the grass getting transparant, but guess as you stated you are investigation this already, right?

36. Seifu_

Seifu_

does this work with unity 2017.2 and/or 2017.1?

37. jjxtra

jjxtra

Yes!

38. jjxtra

jjxtra

Yes, I am looking into a work-around or fix, hopefully this week.

cygnusprojects likes this.
  39. derkoi

derkoi

Hi, I've just purchased this and I'm following the Snow overlay tutorial.

When I change the overlay intensity in the profile everything turns pink. Any ideas please? I'm using Unity 2017.2.0p4 on a PC.

Thanks

40. jjxtra

jjxtra

Sounds like a shader error. Do you see any errors in the console?

41. jjxtra

jjxtra

Email me at support@digitalruby.com and we can get this sorted, that way we don't spam the forum.

42. Daniel-Talis

Daniel-Talis

Here is a question, when I lived in Darwin, Australia, I would see clear skies above and a bank of dark clouds on the horizon (over the sea) with fork lightning playing almost constantly. Is this sort of thing possible to create in Weather Maker? Like, can weather be localised to the horizon?

43. jjxtra

jjxtra

You could probably do this using a mask texture for the clouds. You will need to setup the lightning script to make the lightning happen more frequently. Happy to help you with integration when you are ready. Just shoot me an email.

44. jjxtra

jjxtra

This is fixed in the next update, pending release by Unity.

45. derkoi

derkoi

Awesome.

46. Cleverlie

Cleverlie

Hi @jjxtra

I wonder if there is any way your asset can update the scene ambient light based on the day/night cycle plus maybe the clouds and fog contribution.

right now I'm struggling since the nearest way I've found is to render the scene from a reflection probe, make it render to a RenderTexture as cubemap, use this cubemap in a skybox material, have this material applied as the "Skybox Material" in Lighting settings, have Environment Lighting source set to Skybox, and call DynamicGI.UpdateEnvironment()
    which takes the current skybox material, sends it to the GPU and creates spherical harmonics from it.

the problem is by itself the amount of boilerplate and steps you have to do to get this working and also that DynamicGI.UpdateEnvironment() freezes the main thread for a noticeable time (meaning is not multithreaded or async).

I theoretical have another way to do this, I render the reflectionProbe into a renderTexture set as cubemap, I set the RenderTexture.Active to this RT, I create a texture2d, use ReadPixels(), then do an average of pixel colors, and set the environment Lighting to Gradient (with sky, equator, and ground color). I also have problems with this method since you can only access one face of a cubemap renderTexture with ReadPixels().

so the only option I have left is to ask you if you have or can make an integrated way to at least get an averaged color, or 3 avg colors frot sky, equator and ground, so we can set them into the Environment lighting settings.

this is very important since as the day/night cycle changes and as the sky fills with clouds, the ambient light should change drastically.

example 1: at night we have almost zero ambient light or a very deep dark blue ambient light
    example 2: at dawn with sky filled with clouds, we have an very orange or red sky and the ambient light should be also red/orange.

cheers.

EDIT: I just found out that the DayNightCycleManager Has exactly what I need, I've seen that by default you update the dynamic GI every 5 virtual day minutes right? but how are you feeding the GI with your sky info? since I've read that for DynamicGI.UpdateEnvironment() to create the spherical harmonics properly, you need to set a skybox material that it will render in GPU, but I didn't see such thing in your code, for now I'll just use the 3colors options which is more than sufficient.

Also I wonder if this can be extended to take in account the clouds colors as their fill the sky more and more (example very cloudy day has very low ambient light but this is not informed to the day/night cycle script).

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  47. Cleverlie

Cleverlie

I managed to workaround my situation by using a reflection probe in the scene that renders everything, clouds included, and this reflection probe helps filling the gaps of the ambient color manager not knowing about cloud changes, at least a bit since is only reflection and not ambient that is changing.

Now I have another problem, I'm not sure if this is a bug, or is because WeatherMaker full screen clouds are not meant to be used with reflection probes. my reflection probe is rendering the clouds a bit buggy, it looks like is trying to do the same projection of the clouds for the up face than for the lateral faces. here a picture of the problem ref.jpg

48. jjxtra

jjxtra

That is interesting. I'm not sure how reflection probes do their matrixes, I'll need to look into this and get back.

Cleverlie likes this.
  49. jjxtra

jjxtra

I will look into including clouds into the ambient in a future release.

Cleverlie likes this.
  50. Cleverlie

Cleverlie

thanks! btw I have a bug to report, in Unity 2017.2p4 with latest version of weather maker, when you switch from unity window to another window (alt+tab for example) and come back to unity in playmode, all the screen is black, this could be either something coming from any of the screenspace effects probably.
    another bug I found is the time of day slider in the premade canvas, sometimes while you slide it the moon can dissapear and never get back in the view. if you need further details to reproduce the bugs let me know, cheers!