Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

☁ Weather Maker ☁ AAA Clouds, Sky, Weather, Water, Volumetric Light & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jjxtra, Jun 30, 2016.

1. julianr

julianr

Im also working on a zombie game mode (its just an overlay on top of the core) just for killing some time (no pun intended!). They are t-posed at the moment in the shot, just seeing what they look like. One of the things I love about Weather Maker is the fog!

Attached Files:

jjxtra, Mark_01 and hopeful like this.
  2. jjxtra

jjxtra

I submitted Weather Maker 7.0.4 using draw mesh for command buffers, if anyone has a chance to try it on their VR hardware in URP, let me know how it goes...

Mark_01 and julianr like this.
  3. jjxtra

jjxtra

Man, put some creepy moaning and ambient music/noise in there and that will be one bad-ass scene!

julianr likes this.
  4. julianr

julianr

Yeah, that's the plan. Mixing up a bit of AI with some cutscenes, and optimize them enough for a large hoard stretching back a couple of blocks in the City. Thanks to your fog/weather atmospherics, a bit of lightning/rain, maybe some snow with zombie tracks everywhere. Should be good. I'll post a video when done.

Mark_01 likes this.
  5. jjxtra

jjxtra

I spent a few days trying to get URP + VR working with no joy. The simple fact is, Unity has broken CommandBuffer.Blit calls in URP with VR/XR. I have dozens of shaders that would have to be hacked and re-written using full screen quad mesh rendering, which is not feasible for me right now.

Going forward, I will not be supporting VR/XR in URP for Weather Maker until Unity fixes CommandBuffer.Blit to work properly.

6. julianr

julianr

We should all report it as a bug, or broken.

jjxtra likes this.
  7. jjxtra

jjxtra

Unity is saying this is by design but that makes no sense. What used to be one line of code is now hundreds. I’m not sure why they would make using URP with VR so difficult to use.

julianr likes this.
  8. julianr

julianr

Something not right with that API call then, so you have to get around it with your own code. No doubt you have done your research multiple times on it.

9. julianr

julianr

Maybe its like SRP, where you would need to use a CommandBuffer and use the RenderContext to execute it or add it to the camera queue. I can't say I've looked into it much.

10. jjxtra

jjxtra

I changed the code to use the blit method on the scriptable render pass and re-uploaded 7.0.5. I am trying to test in mock HMD VR, but even a blank scene without Weather Maker is completely buggered so will ask someone else with hardware to test it out of they have time.

11. jjxtra

jjxtra

Ok, still issues with URP VR, so I will ask that anyone who must ship anything with VR in the next year or so please stick with standard pipeline. I will try to work through the URP VR issues...

12. jjxtra

jjxtra

Chance of storms 100% :)

upload_2021-12-3_9-33-27.png

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  13. jjxtra

jjxtra

Animated

14. hopeful

hopeful

Does it fill the whole sky with dark clouds, or just above a set location?

15. jjxtra

jjxtra

By default whole sky. You can however mask out parts of the sky.

Mark_01 likes this.
  16. anykimster

anykimster

Hi so is VR working with standard pipeline? I'm still having issues with clouds. Help!

17. jjxtra

jjxtra

My latest upload with standard pipeline and mock hmd in both multi pass and single pass instanced is working. Do you see the same on your end? Make sure your camera is set to forward rendering. Deferred rendering will break vr even without weather maker.

18. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather Maker 7.1.1 is released! Lots of good bug fixes and moving to Unity 2019.4 as minimum supported version.

Mark_01, hopeful and julianr like this.
  19. julianr

julianr

Nice job!

20. anykimster

anykimster

The cloud pixelization is still there. On Vive. If I stare at a point steady, then the clouds seem ok, but as soon as the headset move, the pixelization happens again.

21. anykimster

anykimster

Is it possible that I have wrong Project Settings?

22. jjxtra

jjxtra

What performance profile are you using? Have you tried reducing the temporal reprojection?

23. tachyon-particle

tachyon-particle

Hello,

version 7.1.1 demo scene has the following errors on Unity 2021.1.28f1

upload_2022-1-29_1-39-10.png

upload_2022-1-29_1-39-33.png

can you confirm ?

24. jjxtra

jjxtra

Not seeing this. Can you try a new blank project and add just weather maker?

25. tachyon-particle

tachyon-particle

I created a blank project and added only weather maker. The errors show up. Unity 2021.1.28.f1

upload_2022-1-29_9-46-20.png

upload_2022-1-29_9-48-19.png

upload_2022-1-29_9-47-39.png

26. jjxtra

jjxtra

Does this happen in Unity 2021.2 latest version?

27. tachyon-particle

tachyon-particle

28. adsilcott

adsilcott

Hi, I'm using Unity 2020.3.21f1 URP. I'm getting
    "WeatherMakerURPForwardRenderer is missing RendererFeatures
    This could be due to missing scripts or compile error.
    UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.ScriptableRendererData:OnValidate () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@10.6.0/Runtime/ScriptableRendererData.cs:59)"

I've tried removing it and re-importing it several times. The "Attempt fix" button does nothing.

29. adsilcott

adsilcott

I just tried it on a clean project. Same messages. The demo scenes render incorrectly -- all meshes are transparent white. When I tried changing the RP settings they changed to bright pink. I tried upgrading materials to URP and it fixed the mesh materials, but still no clouds.

Edit:
    The WeatherMakerURPForwardRenderer/NewScreenSpaceShadows has a missing script, and NewWeatherMakerURPRenderFeatureScript has errors.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  30. jjxtra

jjxtra

URP only supported with URP 12 and Unity 2021.2

31. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather Maker 7.1.2 is submitted and fixes the moon not showing in some cases

razzraziel and hopeful like this.
  32. Barliesque

Barliesque

@jixtra Having problems getting Weather Maker set up in my project -- no volumetric clouds are visible.
    This is a VR project, using the built-in pipeline, Unity 2021.2.4f1. It's a flight simulator type of project, so the camera needs to be able to fly above the clouds, looking down on the landscape.

As a controlled test, I've created a blank project, with the current version of WeatherMaker, and made some minor modifications to the DemoSceneVR to roughly match my project's scenario:
    • I've moved the WeatherMakerPlayer to 0,5000,0
    • Changed the camera FOV to 100000
    • Added a TrackedPoseDriver to the Camera
    • Changed the ground plane's scale to 2000,1,2000
    • Selected Medium-Heavy-Scattered when running the scene.
    No volumetric clouds are visible. With the player down on the ground, clouds are visible above -- though with heavy pixelization, as described earlier by @anykimster:
    The Flythrough demo scene does not function in VR, but looks like it might have some answers to solve problems I'm seeing in the VR scene. There are so many settings, located in so many different places -- any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. If I can get the flythrough scene working for VR, I think I can probably apply that to my actual project.

33. jjxtra

jjxtra

Oh boy I hope unity hasn’t broken VR again. Maybe I did something stupid on one of the last updates. Are you able to try the VR simulator in the editor and see if that works? I will do some digging on my end.

34. Barliesque

Barliesque

Not sure what you mean by the "VR Simulator." I'm using a Quest 2 via Oculus Link, running in the editor.
    I'm not sure that VR support is broken-- The DemoSceneVR works, as far as stereoscopic rendering is concerned; there's just the pixelization issue to start with. When I move the player camera up into the sky above the clouds, then the clouds are no longer visible.

I tried to address the pixelization by adjusting "Temporal Reprojection" on the WM Full Screen Clouds script, but it won't let me change any of the parameters under rendering.

I notice the Flythrough demo relies on the Post Process Stack, but the VR demo does not. So maybe VR support is broken in the Post Process Stack?

35. Lelon

Lelon

Hi, does this support planets worlds? I have a sphere shaped planet, can this add atmosphere that works from space view as well as land view?

Can clouds form on a spherical environment rather than flat?

36. Barliesque

Barliesque

@jixtra I need to know whether what I'm trying to do here is possible with Weather Maker: A flythrough setup, with PC VR. If something needs a fix to make that work, please let me know how long you estimate that taking.

37. jjxtra

jjxtra

Unfortunately not without some major retooling

38. jjxtra

jjxtra

This should work, but not with URP, only standard pipeline. There is a fly-through demo scene you can try. If it's not up to snuff, ping me and I can try to do some optimizations or give you a refund.

39. joanpescador

joanpescador

Notice that in your asset store just says URP 11 and Unity 2021

40. jjxtra

jjxtra

Sorry for the mis-speaking, URP 11 is supported, but only with forward rendering. For deferred, you need URP 12.

joanpescador likes this.
  41. bcv

bcv

I checked this in early 2021 and apparently it was not properly working for URP/VR. Now that it has been almost a year I want to ask, does this package work with URP and VR ? Thanks

42. jjxtra

jjxtra

Nope, and no plans given VR and URP require a significant complexity change with command buffers. If Unity wants to make a few small tweaks on their end to support command buffers easily with URP + VR I will support it.

43. ntropy83

ntropy83

Hello Jeff,

I am a Unity noob and have been playing around with stuff. Been coding a procedural terrain script and came to the point now, I had to deal with clouds. I got your scripts from the current asset bundle and you have done real great work there, it is an amazing weather system !!

I got everything set up so far, except for godrays. Could you maybe lend me a hand or do you have a tutorial about enabling them?

My setup is all just the basics, havent played much with the sliders yet and I am on Vulkan/Linux/URP. This is what it looks like right now: https://i.imgur.com/0OTSgI9.jpg Especially having the trees move in the wind, would look awesome with godrays.

Any help greatly appreciated, thank you and keep up the good work !

Greetings
    ~ent

44. jjxtra

jjxtra

You need to have some amount of fog for the god rays to show up.

45. ntropy83

ntropy83

Thanks that is good to know, so I haven't overlooked a switch to turn volumetric lightning on. I kept tinkering with the settings and am getting there. Setting fog min shadow to 1 got me a whole lot closer: https://i.imgur.com/NZKrHI2.png

46. JustinAHS

JustinAHS

I tried to follow the instructions in the README but one side of my 3d models is very dark, almost black.

upload_2022-3-6_8-59-11.png

While the other side is lit,
    upload_2022-3-6_9-0-3.png

The thing is, it seems like rotating the object does not affect which side is dark and which is bright.
    If side A is bright and side B is dark, rotating the model 180 doesn't make side A dark or side B bright.
    Maybe the 3d model itself is the problem?

But using Unity's default lighting settings seems to work OK for me. It's just Weather Maker that makes half my scene darker. Any way I can use Weather Maker while maintaining Unity's lighting config?

47. julianr

julianr

increase the ambient light settings. I had the same issue.

Under the Weather Maker Day Night Cycle profile.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
  48. JustinAHS

JustinAHS

Ah, that did the trick, thank you!

Now I just gotta' figure out how to get this working on the Quest 2...
    It works fine on the Unity editor but when run on Quest 2 hardware, rendering goes crazy.

Gonna' try that VR fastest profile.

[EDIT]

Tried disabling "Auto Set Performance Profile", used "VR fastest" and "mobile" resources.
    This is what I see on the Quest 2.
    https://imgur.com/a/2jmK4hJ

It seemingly renders fine at first. Then, after a few seconds, it glitches and some weird masking happens where my game objects are culled by the sky, and the water and sky are culled by the black regions.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
  49. Spikebor

Spikebor

I got same problem about dark side.
    Gladly I can fix that with adjusting both the atmosphere file and day night cycle file.
    I think, most users wouldn't want that complete darkness look in the shadow as default, please author make the default equator and ground colors lighter so it wouldn't cause bad first impression from users.
    The system now works beautifully for me tho, can't recommend this enough!

jjxtra likes this.
  50. wood333

wood333

I boosted the three equator intensity settings to 1.0. This seems to help. My problem was dark weather types, such as overcast. Not sure if I have a final solution yet.