Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

☁ Weather Maker ☁ AAA Clouds, Sky, Weather, Water, Volumetric Light & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jjxtra, Jun 30, 2016.

1. jjxtra

jjxtra

Good news! I think I have fixed the cloud render issue on the latest Unity versions. I am sending an update to the asset store today, watch for it :)

dsilverthorn and hopeful like this.
  2. Minzie

Minzie

@jjxtra I tried the newest version. I think the cloud jittering/ flickering issue is still there but there is some improvement. Thanks for further tweaking. Is there any update on the other issues? Also, can I know where to adjust or turning on/off the cloud shadow? Can you also advice what to be done to improve performance?

3. jjxtra

jjxtra

I
    For the water I would suggest using crest ocean, it is very good. The Weather Maker water is very much a hacked together solution.

Regarding the shadows, have you modified the Unity shadow library as specified in the readme.txt?

Find UnityShadowLibrary.cginc in the Unity install directory (UnityInstallDirectory/Editor/Data/CGIncludes folder). Find this method and change it, then restart Unity.

Code (CSharp):
    3. half UnityComputeShadowFade(float fadeDist)
    4. {
    5.     return 0.0;
    6.     //return saturate(fadeDist * _LightShadowData.z + _LightShadowData.w);
    7. }

4. Minzie

Minzie

Thanks. Will try at later date

For the cloud, I'm quite confused. Could you help to clarify if below statements are true?
    Currently the environment will still lit (during daylight) although sun is blocked with cloud or when there is dark cloud (overcast, storm, heavy cloud). This is because of Unity screen space shadows that will fade at distance by default.
    To make the environment dark during dark cloud, overcast or storm, we need to change the UnityShadowLibrary.cginc as stated above. However, this will make fps performance slower.

Are above statements true? If so, I prefer to have better performance than the cloud shadow.

5. hopeful

hopeful

A lot of things are best understood empirically ... through experience. Since it's a simple change to make, you might as well change the shadow file and see what happens. Then change it back if the trade off isn't there.

6. Minzie

Minzie

@hopeful yes I agree with you. But as a fresh newbie (without coding background), I prefer not to change the system coding. There would be disaster if I override things & not knowing it :confused: I don't mean to spam the forum but it would be much helpful to newbies if we can get direct answers for the "well known" things/ tricks from the experienced user out there. It helps us gain knowledge faster :)

@jjxtra I tried 2019.4.13f1 but still no luck with auto temporal being off. Furthermore, I notice massive difference in the fps stated in the configuration canvas compare with the "stat" from game view as well. Overall, I think 2019 has more issue for me (other than Weather Maker).
    I created new project in 2020.3.0f1 & retest it again. It's better compare to 2019. Cloud flickering is smoother & white/ flickering edges on the terrain only occurs at distance & when player move. I'm gonna stick with this version for now. Thanks again for the improvement! :)

7. hopeful

hopeful

I would say don't be too worried about it. You can isolate your test by creating a different project under a different version of Unity, for example. If disaster strikes ... just wipe that project and that version of Unity.

8. Malintis

Malintis

Took me a while to discover it no longer supports VR due to Unity's breaking changes. The clouds can't seem to figure out how to show themselves properly to both eyes - especially when moving your head. It's a great and easily customizable asset though and I'd prefer simply having patience until the dev might be able to fix it in a more solid Unity version over asking for a refund. Any chance of that happening? In the meantime I can just use a more basic cloud system.

9. jjxtra

jjxtra

hopeful likes this.
  10. hopeful

hopeful

I think developers should aim for compatibility with LTS versions only. It is so crazy to try to match with tech release points.

11. Mojo-Game-Studio

Mojo-Game-Studio

Are you planning on bringing back HDRP support, and if so any ETA?

12. jjxtra

jjxtra

HDRP was never added. URP was, but even latest URP 11.x is still broken as it is not possible to modify the screen space shadow mask.

hopeful likes this.
  13. jjxtra

jjxtra

URP is back on the menu! Unity 2021 and URP 11 or newer is required. Weather Maker 6.0.0 and newer will support this, assuming Unity doesn't make any more breaking changes.

dsilverthorn and knxrb like this.
  14. GCatz

GCatz

since you made new shaders for URP will it support WebGL 2.0 ?

15. Crowstone_Games

Crowstone_Games

Hi Jeff, congrats on getting URP working again! I can confirm it all appears OK. Nice work :)

Now I've upgraded to 2021.1.12f and switched to URP 11, I thought I'd see if it worked in iOS. Alas, it seems the shader compile issue is still present, the clouds look great but the sky goes black when they are active. (Though I'm not seeing the shader compile error in the console like I was on 2019.3).

It doesn't seem to matter which "sky sphere profile" I choose on the SkySphere the sky still goes black.

Be great to hear if there was any update on this issue?

16. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather Maker 6.0.2 is submitted to the asset store and now officially supports VR in single pass instanced mode!

17. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather Maker 6.0.3 is now available with Wet Stuff integration! See Readme.txt (bottom) for instructions.

Vincent454 and hopeful like this.
  18. jjxtra

jjxtra

I am not sure, you'd have to give it a go.

19. jjxtra

jjxtra

VR support is back.

20. GCatz

GCatz

don't have this asset, but if it works I'll buy it

21. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather Maker 6.0.4 is out with better noise scale randomness, this will give much better variety of clouds

Vincent454 and hopeful like this.
  22. jjxtra

jjxtra

Sent a refresh update to fix a URP compile error.

23. xzavier2142

xzavier2142

Getting some Strange effects when moving the camera around mostly Flashes of light and screen tears, Using Unity 2021, URP, DX11 No custom settings, Right from the prefab, I found that the FullscreenCloudMaterial when disabled would fix this problem but disabled would blur everything.

Attached Files:

• Tear.png
      Tear.png
      File size:
      346.9 KB
      Views:
  24. jjxtra

jjxtra

Please redownload 6.0.5 and let me know if it’s any better…

25. xzavier2142

xzavier2142

That Fixed it, Cheers

hopeful likes this.
  26. RatherGood

RatherGood

New to the asset. Unity 2021.1.15 w/URP. Sky is black and precipitation not showing. Sure I'm doing something wrong here? Thanks

27. hacker3220

hacker3220

Same here, we are probably missing something, ive tried it on 2021.1.15, 2021.1.9 and 2021.1.4 and i get the same result

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  28. gwenvis

gwenvis

Just bought this asset but I cannot get it to work at all in Unity 2021.1.13f with URP 11. The weather maker forward renderer constantly renders the sky sphere in the front of everything (depth texture is on on the camera). Without a sky sphere the sky is black. I've been fiddling with this for about 2 days now but it doesn't seem to be worth the effort. Sad, because it does look very useful.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  29. Gigalamesh

Gigalamesh

Anyone have experience using weather maker with the oculus quest 2? Using the vr fastest performance profile, I get around 30 fps when using some basic clouds. Anyone have tips or tricks to improve performance? Animated skies was the most requested feature to be added for my app, so I don't want to disable clouds if possible

30. web553967152

web553967152

HELP ME !

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  31. wood333

wood333

I have been using Weather Maker for a while now, always on Unity quality setting of fantastic. I began testing my project in other quality settings, (to improve frame-rate for lower end computers), and WM does not work so well in them. Is this a known limitation of Weather Maker?

32. jjxtra

jjxtra

Looking into URP issues yet again. Wish things were easier for you all, I apologize. I am doing another pass on URP before the next release. In the meantime, I will show you some of my work on cloud anvils...

upload_2021-8-26_19-10-36.png

web553967152, Vincent454 and hopeful like this.
  33. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Wanted to share an old video that I made with weather maker for vol lighting and fog.

jjxtra likes this.
  34. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather Maker 7.0.1 is live on the asset store. Here are some cloud candy shots to wet your appetite:

35. xpachin

xpachin

hqy man, can i use it in a canvas?
    i mean i tried to use it in a UI scene (main title) but i dont see anything. i hear the rain tough, and it is in the scene but not in the main camera i guess
    thanks!

36. jjxtra

jjxtra

Probably easiest to use a camera with a render texture and then set that render texture on an image in the canvas.

37. julianr

julianr

Hi! Keep up the good work on this. On the latest, with scattered clouds I'm experiencing a pixel effect. Any ideas?

cloudspixel.jpg

38. jjxtra

jjxtra

Can you try repulling latest version? What cloud profile exactly?

39. julianr

julianr

I'll download again. Mainly the light scattered profiles. Medium and the rest seem fine.
    Peformance profiles: Good, Simple and VR all have it on them - the rest are fine.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  40. julianr

julianr

Still the same for the light, light medium scattered cloud profiles. I removed it completely, then reimported. cloudspixel2.jpg

41. jjxtra

jjxtra

This is only in VR? What hardware? Single-pass or multi-pass? URP or standard pipeline? What Unity version? Does it happen in editor or final build?

42. julianr

julianr

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Unity 2020.3.21.f1, standard pipeline, not VR. Does the same in the editor and build. PC/i7/Nvidia GTX1660ti/Windows. I don't use those profiles, but thought I should mention it, while I was flicking through the different cloud settings.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  43. jjxtra

jjxtra

Mark_01 and julianr like this.
  44. julianr

julianr

45. jjxtra

jjxtra

[Sigh of relief] Good to hear!

Mark_01 and julianr like this.
  46. julianr

julianr

Results have been pretty good so far. Although I've only been using it for a week or so.
    bigcityresidential19.jpg bigcityresidential20.jpg weathersystem1.jpg weathersystem2.jpg weathersystem3.jpg

jjxtra likes this.
  47. jjxtra

jjxtra

Well dang, now I want a link to try this game/app out! Is it going to be on steam?

julianr likes this.
  48. julianr

julianr

It will be, not straight away - several months worth of content updates to do yet. I'll probably do a kickstarter first once I've completed stage 2. So I can work on stage 3, which is more space related. There will be a small demo of stage 3 inside the game to give people an idea of what it will be like. At the moment I'm concentrating on Earthbound where every building will have an interior, and procedural generated floors in skyscrapers. Weather Maker has been a good addition to the game, thanks for creating it!

49. jjxtra

jjxtra

You're welcome and thanks for sharing the screenshots!

julianr likes this.
  50. julianr

julianr

No problem. They are a bit WIP at the moment and a lot has changed visually with Post Effects. I'll drop over some official ones you can use at some point.

jjxtra likes this.