Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

☁ Weather Maker ☁ AAA Clouds, Sky, Weather, Water, Volumetric Light & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jjxtra, Jun 30, 2016.

1. hopeful

hopeful

Can you put colliders on different layers? I like to have a control layer in addition to a physics layer, for example. On the control layer there will be the trigger colliders that set off music, sfx, etc.

2. wood333

wood333

I haven't tried that yet. For now, I brought Weather Maker into an Invecor demo scene. I have a non-Kinematic RidgedBody on the main camera with a tiny .001 dia. sphere colider set "Is Trigger." I have more testing to do, but the weather is working so far, including with the Post Processing Stack. Next, I will test a weather zone, and see if it triggers. Unfortunately the configurationCanvasPrefab does not work in a scene with the Invector 3rd person controller. Ultimately, this may not matter, as the ConfigurationCanvas is only for testing.

3. wood333

wood333

After spending many hours with Weather Maker, I have tested its features in an Invector Shooter demo scene, and then finally, brought Weather Maker into my asset filled scene. I figured out how to control ambient lighting with the ambient colors day in the day night cycle profile. Probably seems obvious to you. Unless changed, the default lighting leaves almost total darkness inside buildings, despite open doorways and windows, and under clouds.

F.Y.I. - Unity Plugin links on your digitalruby web site go to the old asset store, and therefore are broken.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  4. jjxtra

jjxtra

WeatherMakerPrefab -> DayNightCycle -> Profile -> Ambient properties

wood333 likes this.
  5. creat327

creat327

I'm going to use it for VR. Is this single pass mode available?

6. jjxtra

jjxtra

I don’t support vr anymore.

7. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

That's very unfortunate. I'm currently using Weather Maker in my current project. Once I'm done a big chunk of my game development (almost there) I'm moving it to VR. Should I pull out Weather Maker and use a different asset then?

8. jjxtra

jjxtra

All the VR code I added is still in there. But due to constant Unity breakage I decided to drop support. If it does not work out of the box, send me the order number for a refund.

StevenPicard likes this.
  9. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I completely understand your reasoning. It bugs me that Unity is so free with making breaking changes. And don't worry about a refund. I love the asset and I can use it for non-VR project. A lot of my current work is going to be used for a non-VR game.

hopeful likes this.
  10. wood333

wood333

I have a feature request. I like your provided events very much, but I would love to also have an on rain start, on rain end, and on snow start, on snow end. I would use then to trigger effects on my player such as wetness and cold.

11. jjxtra

jjxtra

Thanks for the feedback! You could start by monitoring the rain intensity value on the precipitation manager script and take action when it changes from zero to non-zero and vice versa. I will look into adding events for precipitation changing in the future.

no00ob, hopeful and wood333 like this.
  12. jjxtra

jjxtra

FYI all Unity 2020.1.16 has broken a bunch of shader stuff, I am looking into it but this may be a Unity issue...

13. tachyon-particle

tachyon-particle

Hi,

Many errors are showing in Unity 2020.2.0f1.

I isolated the errors by creating an empty project with only importing Weather Maker.

When loading the "DemoScene" in editor:
    upload_2020-12-19_2-26-45.png

Runtime of the "DemoScene" in editor:
    upload_2020-12-19_2-30-18.png

It works fine with Unity 2019.4.6f1 on an empty project with only Weather Maker imported, and has no errors from "DemoScene".

Can you confirm if you can duplicate these errors on Unity 2020.2.0f1 ?

Thank you.

14. jjxtra

jjxtra

Please redownload latest version of asset. I have had to hack around some Unity breakages in their most recent updates.

15. tachyon-particle

tachyon-particle

I have redownloaded, but the same errors occur. I did a CRC SHA 256 on the new downloaded package and it is the same as the previous. Can you confirm?

16. jjxtra

jjxtra

You may have to clear out your app data folder C:/Users/[User]/AppData/Roaming/Unity/AssetStore*

17. tachyon-particle

tachyon-particle

Many days ago I had already cleared that folder even before doing the CRC SHA 256 hash and even before redownloading, but the same errors showed. Today, there seems to be an updated version of the package; the asset store shows December 21, 2020 as the date. I installed the new package but the errors are still there.

upload_2020-12-24_3-59-10.png

18. jjxtra

jjxtra

Hmmm. What target platform are you doing, just desktop with standard pipeline in a blank project?

I loaded Unity 2020.2 latest version with the asset store Weather Maker and didn't see these errors in standard pipeline Windows desktop.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  19. bholland

bholland

Hey everyone, quick question. I'm using Weather Maker with the Opsive UCC, everything seems to be working but the null zones. Even with a simple set up, the null zones don't seem to have any effect. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

20. tachyon-particle

tachyon-particle

Yes, just Windows Desktop. I will wait and try again using in the next upcoming Unity 2020.2.* release to see what happens.

21. jjxtra

jjxtra

I've not tested that integration, if this is a deal breaker email me your order number for a refund at support@digitalruby.com

22. tachyon-particle

tachyon-particle

Today, I tried Weather Maker again with the new Unity 2020.2.2f1, but the errors still show. Again, it's in a blank project running the Weather Maker demo. Windows desktop using Unity built-in pipeline. And yes, I had cleared the download folder and redownloaded.

upload_2021-1-21_23-5-55.png

23. jjxtra

jjxtra

I will try with this new version and make sure. I had tried with 2020.2.1.

24. jjxtra

jjxtra

Here is what I see. I will force a new version on asset store and see if it helps.

upload_2021-1-22_9-39-35.png

25. tachyon-particle

tachyon-particle

Yes, I just redownloaded your new release v5.9.16 and the errors are still there when running.

But, after importing, many other new messages appeared which may help you identify further:

upload_2021-1-22_18-6-49.png

Assets\WeatherMaker\Prefab\Scripts\Weather\WeatherMakerPrecipitationProfileScript.cs(81,10): warning CS0618: 'ColorUsageAttribute.ColorUsageAttribute(bool, bool, float, float, float, float)' is obsolete: 'Brightness and exposure parameters are no longer used for anything. Use ColorUsageAttribute(bool showAlpha, bool hdr)'

Assets\WeatherMaker\Prefab\Scripts\Weather\WeatherMakerPrecipitationProfileScript.cs(86,10): warning CS0618: 'ColorUsageAttribute.ColorUsageAttribute(bool, bool, float, float, float, float)' is obsolete: 'Brightness and exposure parameters are no longer used for anything. Use ColorUsageAttribute(bool showAlpha, bool hdr)'

Assets\WeatherMaker\Prefab\Scripts\Weather\WeatherMakerPrecipitationProfileScript.cs(91,10): warning CS0618: 'ColorUsageAttribute.ColorUsageAttribute(bool, bool, float, float, float, float)' is obsolete: 'Brightness and exposure parameters are no longer used for anything. Use ColorUsageAttribute(bool showAlpha, bool hdr)'

Component at index 3 could not be loaded when loading game object 'MainCamera'. Removing it!

Component at index 2 could not be loaded when loading game object 'Camera2D'. Removing it!

Component at index 2 could not be loaded when loading game object 'Camera2D'. Removing it!

Shader warning in 'WeatherMaker/WeatherMakerFullScreenCloudsShader': WeatherMaker/WeatherMakerFullScreenCloudsShader shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)

Shader warning in 'WeatherMaker/WeatherMakerAtmosphericScatteringLookupShader': WeatherMaker/WeatherMakerAtmosphericScatteringLookupShader shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)

Shader error in 'WeatherMakerCloudProbeShader': Expected ',' between macro parameter names. at WeatherMakerCloudNoiseShaderInclude.cginc(424)

Shader error in 'WeatherMakerCloudProbeShader': Expected ',' between macro parameter names. at kernel CSMain at WeatherMakerCloudNoiseShaderInclude.cginc(424)

Shader error in 'WeatherMakerCloudProbeShader': Unterminated conditional expression. at WeatherMakerCloudNoiseShaderInclude.cginc(424)

Shader error in 'WeatherMakerCloudProbeShader': Unterminated conditional expression. at kernel CSMain at WeatherMakerCloudNoiseShaderInclude.cginc(424)

Shader error in 'WeatherMakerAtmosphereComputeShader': Expected ',' between macro parameter names. at WeatherMakerCloudNoiseShaderInclude.cginc(424)

Shader error in 'WeatherMakerAtmosphereComputeShader': Expected ',' between macro parameter names. at kernel WeatherMakerInscatteringLUT at WeatherMakerCloudNoiseShaderInclude.cginc(424)

Shader error in 'WeatherMakerAtmosphereComputeShader': Expected ',' between macro parameter names. at kernel WeatherMakerSkyboxLUT at WeatherMakerCloudNoiseShaderInclude.cginc(424)

Shader error in 'WeatherMakerAtmosphereComputeShader': Unterminated conditional expression. at WeatherMakerCloudNoiseShaderInclude.cginc(424)

Shader error in 'WeatherMakerAtmosphereComputeShader': Unterminated conditional expression. at kernel WeatherMakerInscatteringLUT at WeatherMakerCloudNoiseShaderInclude.cginc(424)

Shader error in 'WeatherMakerAtmosphereComputeShader': Unterminated conditional expression. at kernel WeatherMakerSkyboxLUT at WeatherMakerCloudNoiseShaderInclude.cginc(424)

26. jjxtra

jjxtra

What directx are you targeting?

27. tachyon-particle

tachyon-particle

DirectX 11 and above

28. Purumo

Purumo

Hello!
    I can't do without URP in my project. Maybe there is an easy way to fix this please? If not, it's a pity. I have to look again for a weather asset with URP support.
    The demo scene with URP on 2019.3.5.f1 works fine, but in 2019.4.14.f1 I get this. Changing the project version can be very painful for me =(

Attached Files:

29. wood333

wood333

If I import the refresh update will it change any settings?
    Also, I get these warnings?
    Weather Maker warnings 1-28-2021.PNG

30. wood333

wood333

I use Invector's 3rd person controller. When my player character dies, the scene resets. When the scene resets, a 2nd copy of Global Weather Zone and Weather Maker Prefab appear beneath Don't Destroy On Load in the Hierarchy. The console reacts with a group of duplicate instances red warnings and the scene lighting doubles, etc.

31. gtox

gtox

Hi Jeff - I'm having an issue with cloud shadow distance, where terrain beyond the player is brightly lit despite it being overcast and raining. The unity manual recommends using fog to hide distant terrain to negate this effect, which seems a good idea. Is there a way to do this with Weathermaker?

32. gtox

gtox

I'm also having an issue with cloud shadows disappearing when I look down - when I look towards the sky the shadows reappear. This doesn't happen with shadows cast by other objects. I have two scenes in the project, and this only happens in the second scene. The first scene is a single terrain, the second is multi-terrain. The second scene is extremely simple, and the problem occurs with different controllers/cameras, so I'm stumped.

33. jjxtra

jjxtra

@gtox are you using VR?

34. wood333

wood333

I just did a build for PC and Weather Maker looks good, (very good actually). However, I have a question. A couple of the weather prefabs are a bit too dark for my taste. Such as Overcast. I know how to adjust the overall ambient lighting, but where and what is the adjustment for lighting on individual weather types?

35. jjxtra

jjxtra

You can adjust the cloud profiles themselves if you like. There are multiple properties that control light intensity. Or you can increase the ambient light multiplier on the full screen cloud script.

wood333 likes this.
  36. Crowstone_Games

Crowstone_Games

Hi Jeff, I've just installed weather maker with Unity 2019.12.f1, a fresh, 'built in render pipeline' project with '3D Extras'.

With the platform set to "PC, Mac, Linux" all is fine but when I switch platform to iOS (with Metal as the graphics API) the sky goes black in game and scene view and I also noticed these two errors just after it switched over:

Shader error in 'WeatherMakerAtmosphereComputeShader.compute': All kernels must use same constant buffer layouts; 'unity_LightColor0' property found to be different

Shader error in 'WeatherMakerCloudProbeShader.compute': All kernels must use same constant buffer layouts; 'unity_LightColor0' property found to be different

Apologies if I've missed a 'gotcha' somewhere but it'd be great to know how to work around this.

Thanks for your time!

37. jjxtra

jjxtra

I wonder what changed, it was working in iOS metal. I will check it out.

38. jjxtra

jjxtra

I cannot make heads or tales of these errors or warnings. It feels like an issue in the iOS metal compiler. I have sent a bug report to Unity and will post back if I hear anything. For now, if you must deploy to iOS, I would suggest not using the procedural sky but instead use the Unity style sky, it is a property on the sky sphere profile.

As always, please email support@digitalruby.com if you want a refund.

39. Crowstone_Games

Crowstone_Games

__
    Thanks for looking into it Jeff!

I've tried a few different "sky sphere profile" sky settings but no joy. Tried setting all the most basic settings I could find, I assume I'm not changing the right thing, here's what I'm doing as an example:

> Switch Unity platform to IOS and check Metal is the graphics API in player settings
    > Load up "DemoSceneFlyThrough" from Weather maker
    > Notice black sky/shading when it's loaded in (attached)
    > As suggested, don't use procedural sky so I change Sky Sphere (in the WeatherMakerPrefab in the hierarchy) -> Sky Sphere Profile to "WeatherMakerSkyProfile_Textured" instead
    > But unfortunately the sky remains black

Is that right? If not maybe a bit more explicit instructions would help me.

Thanks also for the offer of a refund but the clouds themselves seem to render just fine which is the part I mostly need so if there's a way to separate the cloud (and water) from the bit that is breaking the lighting/skybox then I will be able to continue just fine :)

Attached Files:

40. tachyon-particle

tachyon-particle

To follow up with those errors previously that keep showing up in Unity 2020.2.*.

I just tried Weather Maker with the new Unity 2020.3.0f1 and the demo scene worked with zero errors. I will avoid Unity 2020.2.*

41. jjxtra

jjxtra

Sounds like a good plan!

42. Minzie

Minzie

Hello, I just bought Weather maker & used it recently. However, the background is flickering too much. I tried to adjust post processing (depth of field, bloom, color grading, temporal AA); turn off Auto Set Temporal Reprojection Blend Mode; turn off allow scene camera; set Light Base Shadow Strength (WeatherMakerPrefab->DayNightCycle->sun) to 1 but still can't make it right. Can you help what I should do?

Unity 2020.3.0f1 personal
    Weather Maker 5.9.16

43. jjxtra

jjxtra

Are you seeing this flicker in the demo scene? Are you using standard pipeline?

44. Minzie

Minzie

@jjxtra, no issue in demo scene. I'm using standard pipeline. I tried to delete & recreate the post processing profile and playing with "update interval" from day & night cycle profile (set back to 0.01 after cloud become more staggered), there is some good changes. However, I still see the flickering issue in the shadow when player move around. The cloud now also flickering when player is not moving and the "time of day" is not updating too (still set as 12:26 PM) although the sky has become dark.. What have I done wrong?

Note: Cloud flickering is not too obvious in the video due to video quality

45. jjxtra

jjxtra

I am not sure. You could play around with shadow distance and quality settings in the player and graphics settings, or turn off cloud shadows maybe...

46. Minzie

Minzie

@jjxtra ok I'll try it. Can you advice on how to get my grass or trees to move when there is wind?

47. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather Maker has a wind zone as part of the wind script, you could adjust the wind script properties to see if they help your trees or grass to blow around better. It all depends on how the trees and grass are setup to respond to whatever force values the wind is outputting.

48. Minzie

Minzie

@jjxtra, my tree is billboard, maybe this is the cause of not moving with wind. I'll check this at later time.

I made some testing with your demo scene & adding water prefab (set to clear profile), add post processing layer (TAA) & post processing volume. Below are my findings:
    1. When cloud's "auto set temporal reprojection" is off, the cloud will flicker nonstop & the edge of the terrain will have flickering whitish (this can been seen when cloud is dark, outcast, or storm and when it's nearing dusk to night. In video, shown at timestamp 1:25 but not too noticeable in video compare to during runtime).
    2. When cloud's "auto set temporal reprojection" is on, there's lesser flickering on the cloud & no whitish edge at the terrain. However, the "grid" is more obvious when cloud is transforming/ moving. I tried to set the temporal reprojection material of the cloud's blend mode to 1, but the grid is more obvious.
    3. There is white blinding flare on the water surface at certain angle during daylight when "post processing layer" is turned on although the cloud is dark, overcast or storm. Flare only not showing when it's completely dark (@8PM). It's not showing too when post processing layer is off.

Is this a bug? How can I have no cloud flickering, & no whitish in terrain edge if I want to off the cloud's auto set temporal reprojection? How to remove the white flare on water without turning off the post processing layer?

NB: I changed to SMAA too, but same result

(Same demo scene with above, just different angle view) Further issue with the water prefab when post processing layer is on, there is nonstop flickering at the far edges of the water.

Also terrain still lit although cloud is dark, overcast or storm. Shouldn't it also be dark when sky is dark?

In another terrain where I off the post processing layer, result is good: no flickering at the edge of water prefab & no annoying water sparkle/ white flare on water. However, terrain is still lit although sky is dark. I also use Microsplat (no extension) here & you can see there is white patches on the terrain when it's near dusk-night (timestamp 0:56 onwards). It only completely dark when sky is complete dark.

Tested in both 2020.3.2f1 (with newer post processing version) & 2020.3.0f1
    standard pipeline

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  49. jjxtra

jjxtra

Unity 2020 latest version appears completely broken. I sent a bug report to Unity. Do you have better luck in Unity 2019.4.13 ?

Unity 2019.4.14 and newer appear to be broken, have submitted a bug report to Unity and am trying to figure out what is going on.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  50. Minzie

Minzie

@jjxtra Thanks for your further checking. I currently don't have other Unity version. My hard disk is quite limited so can't install many different version. I'll try to see if I'm able to install Unity 2019.4.13, but no promise.. I'll inform you if I got any news.