Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

☁ Weather Maker ☁ AAA Clouds, Sky, Weather, Water, Volumetric Light & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jjxtra, Jun 30, 2016.

1. coolguy_platinum

coolguy_platinum

everything looks awesome now. thanks alot.

2. jjxtra

jjxtra

I've improved fly-through cloud appearance, depth buffer handling and performance. Now available in v. 5.9.13.

upload_2020-6-2_13-0-19.png

julianr, Mark_01, Vincent454 and 3 others like this.
  3. will_catkins

will_catkins

Hello, when I was using Crest Ocean, the render queue of the water/cloud/sky was not adjusted properly, could you please teach me how to set them so that they are sorted at a right z depth?

Thank you very much!

4. will_catkins

will_catkins

Crest Ocean URP in URP mode.

5. will_catkins

will_catkins

Hello, I've turned on the skysphereshader's Zwrite and they will display correctly. Will this have a bad effect?

6. jjxtra

jjxtra

hopeful likes this.
  7. will_catkins

will_catkins

Thanks,i will try it.
    My method doesn't work . I'm going crazy testing it......

8. will_catkins

will_catkins

Hi,in the fly-through scene,when i changed to URP mode,and set the terrain`s shader to URP Lit,the terrain was dispeared when the scene was running,but it displayed correctly in the edit window.

9. lisasims

lisasims

Hi, how do I apply the system time (i.e. current time) to the day/night cycle? I looked in the thread and found a post that seemed to be dealing with it but I just can't seem to figure it out. I am a total noob when it comes to coding. So in other words, I want the game environment time to be the same as real time. Please help!!

10. jjxtra

jjxtra

I've only tested the fly through with standard pipeline. URP is so broken due to Unity bugs right now that I would not recommend using it. If you must use it, contact me for a refund.

Mark_01 and hopeful like this.
  11. jjxtra

jjxtra

in your update method in your script set WeatherMakerDayNightCycleManagerScript.Instance.DateTime = DateTime.UtcNow;

12. jjxtra

jjxtra

FYI all I've dropped URP support entirely. It is mostly broken anyway due to various bugs in Unity, and the support time is too high. Please email me your order # to support@digitalruby.com if this impacts you and I can send a refund request to Unity.

hopeful likes this.
  13. lisasims

lisasims

Thank you so much!! You're awesome! Wish I could code like you...

14. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

I am having an odd situation with clouds and aurora where they end up like this: https://imgur.com/a/VGnGo0G

However, this only happens when I run the game in vr. This happens with both the _Default or _Stretch aurora profile and any of the cloud profiles.

I'm using the latest version of your asset and Unity 2019.4.0f1. I am also using the WeatherMakerPlayer prefab.

I'm sure it's something I am doing wrong... but I can't figure it out (sorry)

15. jjxtra

jjxtra

What vr hardware?

16. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Oculus Rift CV1

I remade the camera rig and use the newer XR Rig toolkit, the Aurora seems fine now, but the clouds are screwy. If it would help I can upload the completed project for you to see, or take a screenshot of the clouds. Just let me know what other info you need. This is NOT a rush.

Have a wonderful weekend

17. Skotrap7

Skotrap7

Just wanting to check the status of your HDRP support. I see a post from a few months ago that it is planned after your URP bug fixing. Can you give any status update here? Thanks!

18. jjxtra

jjxtra

Current status for Weather Maker URP and HDRP is they are on hold indefinitely. I've spent close to 100 hours on URP and HDRP work, with Unity constantly changing things. Latest state of URP has a broken depth buffer texture and screen space shadow texture last I checked.

I am unwilling to put in that kind of time again until things are absolutely rock solid on the Unity side. My Unity earnings are a small percent compared to my normal day job, and with a family I have to balance every hour. I know this is not what people want to hear regarding SRP it's just a constraint of my time right now.

stefanvt, Peppermage, Mark_01 and 3 others like this.
  19. Skotrap7

Skotrap7

Hey, thanks for the reply, and no worries, I completely understand. Trying to build a game on unity while these things constantly shift under your feet is rough too. It is a bit sad that terms "Released" and "LTS" still means "completely in flux" right now.

I do hope thing solidify and we get updated releases (even if there are upgrade fees) of your assets. They are pretty great.

I don't necessarily have an exorbitant amount of time myself right now, but if you are interested in talking about letting me help out somehow let me know.

jjxtra likes this.
  20. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I gave URP a try, as well, but just gave up on it. It needs some more time to "bake" to get it fully ready for use and then, once it gets better 3rd party support, I'll return to it.

jjxtra likes this.
  21. antsonthetree

antsonthetree

Hello!

I'm working on a flight sim and I need really great clouds. At first blush this asset looks perfect, but it's a bit out of my price range (I'm just a hobbyist). So with that in mind I really need to know if it will do my one specific cool thing that nobody else probably cares about but I desperately need before I buy it. Or maybe I need to just wait for a sale. Either way, here is my question / scenario:

I need to be able to see the colors and details on other planes, buildings, etc when I am inside a cloud volume or when they are inside the cloud volume. I understand that the colors need to be faded out - I want that too - but I still need enough of the colors left to infer what they are.

I'm being specific about this because some of the cloud assets that I've seen just make everything white once it gets covered by the cloud. No faded colors. Just white. I cannot tell from your videos if this happens with your asset or not.

Could you maybe create a quick screen shot for me? If you could show a thick cloud with a tall colored box in it that extends all the way out, then I can tell how far into the cloud the colors can be seen.

I would also like to see a view from inside the cloud looking towards a colored cube that is outside the cloud. If I am inside the cloud I need to be able to tell what color things are outside the cloud and vice versa.

Sorry if this is a big ask, but hopefully you will understand what I'm trying to discover.

Many thanks
    Ants

PS - here is an MIT licensed thing that kind of does what I want but is no longer supported and yours has more features. Still very cool and worth checking out:
    https://github.com/yangrc1234/VolumeCloud

22. jjxtra

jjxtra

I have a pretty liberal refund policy. If something doesn't work out, just email support@digitalruby.com with your order number and I'll refund.

23. Kev00

Kev00

Quick question.

How do I prevent weather maker from using some of the cameras in my scene? I have cameras that are rendering to a texture and I don't want the weathermaker script to use them. I tried to explicitly add the cameras I want it to use to AllowCameras array, but at run time it always picks up all my other cameras. I've played around with a few other options as well by it's just not doing what I ask it to.

24. jjxtra

jjxtra

Are those cameras tagged as main camera by chance?

25. Kev00

Kev00

The cameras in the AllowCamera array are tagged as MainCamera. The other cameras I don't want included are untagged.

26. Kev00

Kev00

Setup is as follows.
    upload_2020-7-10_13-44-40.png

Runtime, pulls in all these cameras and I don't know why
    upload_2020-7-10_13-46-5.png

upload_2020-7-10_13-46-30.png

27. jjxtra

jjxtra

Allright. Seems like a bug. Let me do some digging and get back.

28. jjxtra

jjxtra

Does unchecking `AutoFindMainCamera` on the WeatherMakerScript on the root of the prefab help?

29. Kev00

Kev00

no luck. It still picks up all the cameras. At this point, I've tried a number of different options/configurations. I might try to isolate the issue in a new project.

30. jjxtra

jjxtra

Line 538 of
    WeatherMakerScript.cs
    is where cameras are auto-added, something must be triggering that to add your cameras.

31. Kev00

Kev00

thanks I'll check that out

32. Kev00

Kev00

WeatherMakerCommandBuffer::CameraPreCull() is adding all the cameras.

the bug is here
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     else if (WeatherMakerScript.Instance.AllowCameras != null && !WeatherMakerScript.Instance.AllowCameras.Contains(camera))

changed it to
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     else if (WeatherMakerScript.Instance.AllowCameras != null && WeatherMakerScript.Instance.AllowCameras.Contains(camera))

33. Kev00

Kev00

I spoke too soon, doing that will cause cameras to be endlessly added when AutoFindMainCamera checked.

34. jjxtra

jjxtra

I will keep digging also, something is definitely fishy

35. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Hello again,

A couple weeks back I posted that I am having an issue in VR with the clouds. I am still having the issue and I was able to reproduce it using one of your demo scenes.

• Assets\WeatherMaker\Demo\Scenes\DemoScene
    • Looks fine until I change the settings under; Project Settings/XR Plug-in Management, checking off "Initilize XR on Startup" and "Oculus" (I am using an Oculus Rift (CV1) The Oculus subsetting is: Shared Depth Buffer: Checked, Dash Support: Checked, Stereo Rendering Mode: Multi-Pass
    • I also attached the script "Tracked Pose Driver" on the camera on WeatherMakerPlayerPrefab (required for VR now) The settings can be viewed on this link: https://imgur.com/a/Eyadr2v
    • The clouds get an odd issue when I move my head, a sort of pixellated streak in the opposite direction I am moving my head. You can see this in the link about. In the image I was moving my head down, and the streaking moves up.
    • Or, sometimes, the streaking is gone and the clouds see like they are a little off for each eye. Meaning they look fine when I have only one eye open, either eye, but with both it seems like the 3d effect is not aligned.
    • I am using Unity 2019.4.1f1 - There is a slightly newer version of Unity, and I can upgrade the project if you wish.
    • I am using the latest version of Weather Maker, I updated today to version 5.9.15 (2020-07-11)
    Let me know if you need any other information.

36. jjxtra

jjxtra

I don't support oculus rift as I don't have the hardware, please send order # for a refund to support@digitalruby.com

dsilverthorn likes this.
  37. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

I purchased this asset 3 years ago, so a refund does not seem fair to you. FYI: Your asset worked fine with the older VR integration.

I'll go look if there is an asset that supports VR, but I don't hold out hope that I will find one that matches your specs. Best of luck, and if there is something I can do to test for you, contact me.

Peace, James

dsilverthorn likes this.
  38. jjxtra

jjxtra

A lot of things broke from Unity 2017.4 which is the last VR version I had things working in. I am really sorry this has happened :(

dsilverthorn likes this.
  39. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Yea, I get it. I have been a software dev for 20+ years... APIs change. Arg. Not your fault. I get it, really, I see how changes have to be made and that not all assets/components/etc can translate to the new format.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  40. nubdev

nubdev

Hi, great asset and very nice looking clouds. I have a few questions: Is there a simple way to change the color of the sky? Also, the shadows from medium heavy scatter and above are very dark, is there a way to disable or soften the impact of shadows from clouds? Thank you

41. jjxtra

jjxtra

The sky sphere has a sky profile you can customize. The cloud shadow strength can be controlled from the cloud shadow material.

42. nubdev

nubdev

Thanks!

43. Grendelbiter

Grendelbiter

Quick question: Does weather maker work for a third person game where you can zoom out really far? (~ 300 units)

44. jjxtra

jjxtra

If you can zoom out really far there might be some issues. Worth a try, but please email me support@digitalruby.com if you run into any problems.

45. wood333

wood333

I cannot run your demo scenes in my main project folder:
    WM error.PNG

I already removed an extension script for MegaSplat to get rid of an error prior to attempting play.

Notes: Unity 2018.4.25, newest version Weather Maker. I want to try Weather Maker in my project. It has MegaSplat, but I do not believe I need that integration. I would like to try your water in my project.

To start, I just want to run a few of your demos.

F. Y. I. I would have contacted you on discord, except discord will not let me post unless I "claim and verify my discord account'," which I declined. Other developers on the unity store have their discord set up in a way that I can get on and post without this requirement.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  46. jjxtra

jjxtra

Thanks, I was overrun with spam until I added the phone number requirement. I don't ever see the phone numbers. I understand the frustration though.

Looks like you need to add the post processing stack v2 package.

More and more though I have been referring people to crest ocean standard edition. I have a fork here: https://github.com/DigitalRuby/crest

You'll likely get way better results than my water.

Mark_01 and wood333 like this.
  47. wood333

wood333

I am running the weather maker demo scene in Unity 2018.4.25. When I adjust the time of day slider so the sun is near the horizon, the sun deforms bell shaped.
    WM Demo scene.PNG

48. jjxtra

jjxtra

You can adjust the sky sphere profile to control how this looks. Play around with the settings on the profile and let me know if it helps.

49. wood333

wood333

The sun bells out near the horizon when I use the sky sphere profile with either ProceduralMilkyWay "PhysicallyBased" or "PhysicallyBasedFlythrough." Just plain ProceduralMilkyWay does not bell. Maybe that's all I need.

One final question. Is there a setting for ambient light?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  50. wood333

wood333

You say in the set-up video tutorial that the player needs a kinematic Rigidbody and small sphere collider to properly trigger the zone and water call backs. I use Invector's third person controller, shooter-melee variety, and it has already set the Player up with a non-kinematic Rigidbody and capsule collider. Is this going to be a problem? How would you recommend I handle the player setup?

EDIT: The Invector Main Camera is not a child of the "Player," therefore, I am thinking I can place the kinematic Rigidbody and the tiny sphere collider on the Main Camera. I am assuming the Player and Main Camera will not interfere with each other because they are separate non-parented game objects. Will this work with Weather Maker?

EDIT: My thought above works, but when exiting a weather zone, the camera shifts oddly for a brief moment. I have the camera correctly set up, but I have not been able to solve this.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020