Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

☁ Weather Maker ☁ AAA Clouds, Sky, Weather, Water, Volumetric Light & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jjxtra, Jun 30, 2016.

1. hopeful

hopeful

I'm looking at it for the first time now, but it seems like the intensity of the directional light of the sun is controlled by the Weather Maker Celestial Object Script, specifically the Light Base Intensity.

frank1204 likes this.
  2. frank1204

frank1204

Thank you very much for your quick reply!
    Weather Maker Celestial Object Script/Light Base Intensity and other settings there helped me to create a "sun"-light very similar to my old directional light now! :)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  3. jjxtra

jjxtra

Very nice! Feel free to post some screnshots :)

4. frank1204

frank1204

Today it´s getting weird. I think I was happy too early yesterday.

Today, if I change the cloud profile, nothing happens. The sky always looks the same. And I seem to have two different types of clouds now - as you can see at this picture:

clouds.jpg

On the upper left you see "normal" clouds and on the lower right strange rounded ones. The "normal" ones don´t move or change at all, the roundes ones move very fast. If I change the cloud profile in the global weather zone (under profile overrides - is this the right place?), nothing changes at the sky at all.
    Yesterday I could test all cloud profiles, and they were working. Don´t know the reason why it doesn´t work anymore…

And I have to come back to the light issue: To see more details in the shadowed areas before Weather Maker I used a second directional light with very low intensity in the exact opposite Y-direction to the main light. That looked quite good. Is there a possibility to use a second sun with Weather Maker? Of course it should not be seen at the sky. Or is there any possibility to use my old lights and putting them above the clouds, so that they are still light when turning off the Weather Maker sun? I must say I still would rather use my own lights...

And to make it complete: Unfortunately I encounter a very noticeable loss of performance in game mode when using Weather Maker. That is not very nice.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  5. jjxtra

jjxtra

Let's take a step back and make sure your asset isn't corrupted. Please start a new blank Unity 2019.2 project and import just weather maker from the asset store and try the demo scene. There you can try various cloud profiles, etc. in a fresh state. Please let me know if you have issues doing this and we can work from there to see what went wrong in your current project.

Regarding performance, what is your target hardware? What Unity version are you using? And are you on latest weather maker 5.9.6 version? There are performance profiles you can set on the weather maker script on the root of the prefab to tune performance. The fantastic performance profile looks the best, but is only meant for higher end hardware. These will map to the Unity quality level automatically, so typically you don't have to do anything other than set the Unity quality level to match your hardware.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  6. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Jeff,

It is not weather maker causing it. I did find a hidden directional light and when I removed it, all of the flickering stopped.
    So it was a false alarm.

Thanks for being there, and hope you are having a great Christmas season!

Have a Happy New Year!

David

hopeful likes this.
  7. jjxtra

jjxtra

Happy holiday and new year to you and all as well!

dsilverthorn likes this.
  8. mrs26

mrs26

Hey there,
    I'm having some issues with the sky sphere. The night sky seems to be handled completely different from the day sky.
    In the screenshots you can see that the day sky mimics the atmosphere and has a curvature that even blends in perfectly with the terrain if the clipping plane of the camera is configured correctly considering the camera height. I'd like to have the same effect during the night, but as you can see in the second screenshot there is no atmosphere curvature whatsoever at all. The terrain is cut off just as in standard unity.

I'd love to have the curvature at day AND night. Is that possible?

There's another inquiry of less importance. If you look at the third screenshot, you can see the day sky from very high up. The higher you get the darker the sky gets, which is very cool. I'd like to go a step further though and instead of just changing the color also render the night sky texture based on the height. (But maybe different tints, as it'd be cool if the night sky was a bit blueish while the space should still look black). Is that possible in some way?

Thanks in advance!

PS: I also noticed that the Sky Mode doesn't work as I expected it to. If I set a Day texture it's only rendered if the mode is either "Textured" or "ProceduralTextured Unity Style", but not for "Procedurally Textured Physically Based". The Night Sky however always uses the Texture, no matter which mode. The latter one is probably an expected behavior, since the night sky is handled differently in many ways. But the first one seems like a bug to me.

9. jjxtra

jjxtra

I will upload a fix for the night sky to respect the sky background gradient tonight, just redownload same version in a few hours.

The sky mode bug I will look into.

Thanks for reporting!

mrs26 likes this.
  10. mrs26

mrs26

Thank you very much^^ I didn't expect such a fast reaction.

Any thoughts to this? Or does this have something to do with the Sky Mode?

11. jjxtra

jjxtra

I will look into rendering the night sky depending on amount of atmosphere, I've added a backlog item here: https://trello.com/b/kpzSz3Oc/weather-maker

mrs26 and hopeful like this.
  12. mrs26

mrs26

Sounds great!

I took a look at your update. The curvature looks nice^^

I noticed some things though, that I'd like to mention. Maybe that will help you when you start working on the backlog item.

At sunset, sunrise as well as when the moon goes up and down you can still see some weird "cut" at the horizon as in screenshot 1. By setting the "Y Offset Multiplier" to a value between 0 and 0.2 I managed to make this mentioned "cut" at the horizon disappear or at least look smooth (see screenshot 2). I guess the problem here is that the celestial objects don't disappear behind the curvature but instead behind the horizon gradient. A Y Offset Multiplier of 0.12 does a good job at hiding it for me, but when you start working on the atmosphere maybe you want to keep an eye on this matter.

Then I noticed, when you set the "Sky Depth Fade Start" to a value higher than 0.98 but below 1, a weird black hole appears at the start lol (Screenshot 3). It doesn't bother me, since I don't need such a high value, but just wanted to mention it.
    EDIT: after I played around with other values this phenomenom only appears to me now with a value of 0.999. So apparently this is influenced by other settings as well and might not be always reproducable.

I also noticed some offset of the reflections of celestial objects at the horizon (screenshots 4 and 5). This occurs on low altitude.

Finally, the "Sky Camera Height fade Multiplier" just doesn't seem to do anything since the update. Or maybe I just don't know what to look for, but if I remember correctly before it did something that I noticed.

I hope my findings will be useful to you. Great work so far though, keep it up!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    dsilverthorn likes this.
  13. AhJun

AhJun

Anyone else having issues on VR? (HTC). as you can see from sceenshot, the skies look fine when using the WeatherMakerLWRPForwardRender ,but when you tilt your head, there are strange masking issues. Using unity 2019.3

Attached Files:

14. jjxtra

jjxtra

Same issue in 2019.2?

15. ccvannorman

ccvannorman

Hello, sorry if this is a duplicate issue, but..

when having clouds and setting time to NIGHT time, the clouds are still bright white.

Is this intentional? Shouldn't clouds be dark with the night sky? The only way I see to rectify this in my scene is to manually change cloud color, but I wanted to check and see if I was missing some obvious setting... Thanks!

16. jjxtra

jjxtra

Hmmm that feels wrong. Does it happen with a new blank project in the demo scene?

17. b1gry4n

b1gry4n

Ive read you arent supporting crest lwrp currently, but I am curious if this is something you plan on supporting in the future.

18. jjxtra

jjxtra

It is in the future yes. No eta...

19. AhJun

AhJun

yes, for now i'm just using alternative plugins for sky/clouds but it would be nice for everything to work with just this plugin

20. p87

p87

Is it currently possible to use this in a 2019.3 project? I'm trying to get this to work in unity 2019.3.0f5 with URP. I've tried importing the LWRP package and opening the LWRP demo scene, but it's not looking right. I'm guessing an update will be required after 2019.3 is released, but thought I would ask. Thank you

21. jjxtra

jjxtra

LWRP 2019.2 is supported, 2019.3 is still in RC/beta mode so no support yet.

22. Bzuco

Bzuco

2019.3 out of beta today :). Hope you will have not so many work to support it. I am also waiting for WM update ;)

p87 likes this.
  23. jjxtra

jjxtra

I will try to tackle urp and 2019.3 Sunday through Tuesday hopefully with release in early February. HDRP to come after with no ETA...

24. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather Maker 5.9.8 is out and URP support was added. Please post if any issues. The flow is slightly altered. When you click Weather Maker -> Enable Universal Pipeline, you have to then manually assign the render feature to the forward renderer. I have not yet figured out how to automate this.

dsilverthorn, Bzuco and DigitalIPete2 like this.
  25. ccvannorman

ccvannorman

Jeff,
    Stars in VR are flickering uncontrollably.

Night sky looks great, especially high intensity -- but due to micro movements of the head in VR, it produces a very prominent and annoying "flickering" of all the stars. I tried turning "flicker" variables for the night sky all the way to zero, and in the scene view I can see there is no more flicker, but the VR headset still shows intense flickering due to head movements. If the VR headset is still, there is no flickering.

I'm not sure if you have noticed this issue or addressed it -- is there a solution?

Thanks!
    Charlie

26. jjxtra

jjxtra

Does temporal aa help at all?

27. p87

p87

anyone able to get this working with URP in 2019.3? I'm having some issues; weather maker appears to be working but the sky is black.

i've followed the readme.txt - specifically the "requirements", the "Project / Scene Setup", and "Render Pipelines" bit where it talks about URP. I can't really tell what's happening, if anything, when i click on the Weather Maker -> Enable Universal Pipeline. I've followed the URP instructions multiple times both in my project and an empty unity project, restarted the editor, etc etc. Cant seem to get the sky to work. I've done the manual part where you have to configure the WeatherMakerURPForwardRenderer with the WeatherMakerURPRenderFeatureScript , restart the editor, etc etc.

I also get an error in the console about the Auto Set Performance option, and i have tried disabling that and manually setting the performance profile to default which seems to make that go away. (NOt sure if thats the correct way to address that error)

I've attempted this another time and did a screen recording where i go through the readme.txt instructions/requirements, and verify them on screen in my unity editor... if that helps at all. The video is located here and its still processing, so as of the time of this post its only available in 360p (processing seems to be going slow on youtubes end, sorry) :

but long story short, ive followed the instructions to my understanding and tried this in multiple projects including fresh ones multiple times and i cant seem to get it to work. I would greatly appreciate any help, please let me know if there is any additional information i can provide. Thanks!

umcherrel likes this.
  28. jjxtra

jjxtra

Please double check you are on latest weather maker version. Then when you click enable universal pipeline, a pop up box will show with instructions on how to set the render feature.

29. p87

p87

yup, I'm on 5.9.8 released on february 1. I've used that menu item to Enable Universal Pipeline, it shows the popup and i've set the render feature manually, then tried restarting the editor as recommended in the URP section of the readme. I've tried that a number of times and it doesnt seem to fix the black sky. I am testing using the DemoSceneURP that was provided with Weather Maker.

Here is the exact sequence of steps I am taking :
    1. create new empty project using URP template project in unity 2019.3.06f - this has latest version of URP package installed already
    2. import weather maker, lastest version 5.9.8 from feb 1
    3. Use the Unity menu, Window -> Weather Maker -> Enable Universal/Lightweight Render Pipeline to turn URP on
    4. EDIT - at this point , i configure the Renderer Feature as outlined in the popup. I dragged it onto the forward renderer as the popup instructs.
    5. restart editor for good measure
    6. i've verified that i meet the "Requirements" section from the readme , I am on OSX using Metal for the editor
    7. Now I go through the steps of the "Setup instructions: Project / Scene setup" that are related to the Project setup. I've verified i am using .NET standard 2.0, I don't have rain maker, etc
    8. At this point i open up DemoSceneURP that was provided with WeatherMaker
    9. I've verified the demo scene already did this: -" Change light settings: Skybox material -> WeatherMakerSkyboxMaterial, sun source: Sun (from weather maker prefab)."
    10. I've verified the URP demo scene already configured this: "- Change light settings: Environment lighting source: Color or Gradient, Environment reflections source: custom."
    11. I've verified the URP demo scene already configured this: "- Add MainCamera tag to your main camera. Unity does this by default, but you should double check this."
    12. At this point I am seeing the following warnings in the console:
    13. Hit play in editor, at this point I am getting this error:
    14. I select the WeatherMakerPrefab in the hierarchy view of the URP demo scene , disable Auto Set Performance Profile, and set the profile to WeatherMakerPerformanceProfileDefault
    15. Save DemoSceneURP
    16. Sky is still black
    I took another screen recording of me going through the above steps. Ive edited some parts and sped things up to make it shorter. Careful with the audio as I did some lightning blasts at some point.

After performing all of the steps above, Sky is still black. Any other ideas? Apologies if I'm missing something obvious.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  30. jjxtra

jjxtra

Did you

31. jjxtra

jjxtra

Did you also drag the render feature into the forward renderer?

32. p87

p87

oh yeah sorry I did that for sure - i just forgot to type that into my list of steps i followed. I am definitely doing that and following the URP specific instructions in the readme. Ive edited my post above and inserted that step where I did it. You can see me do it in the screen recording around 3:00 - 3:05, right here:

it ends up looking like this:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  33. jjxtra

jjxtra

Hmmm. I am on latest MAC OS X iMAC late 2014 and the setup worked ok, what hardware are you on?

34. p87

p87

MacOS Catalina
    Version 10.15.2

MacBook Pro 15-Inch, 2017
    3.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    16GB RAM
    Radeon Pro 560 4GB

I've also verified in the Project Settings -> Graphics the "Scriptable Render Pipeline Settings" is set to WeatherMakerURPProfile , which I'm assuming is what we want. I didnt change that so i believe the Weather Maker menu item to Enable URP must have done that.

I had the sky working the other day on this same machine, but again it was a black sky upon initial import (even after setting render feature, restarting unity, etc). I had to fiddle with it a little bit and i forget what i did to get the sky working. :confused: I have been testing in that DemoSceneURP.

Each time I have been sitting here with the latest readme following the project setup and URP instructions, setting the render feature and so on. I've been obeying the popup , i swear !

35. p87

p87

i managed to fix the black sky issue by creating a new empty 3d project ("3D" template), importing Universal RP using package manager, converting the project to URP manually, and then bringing in weather maker and enabling weathermaker URP, manually dragging the weathermaker render feature and all that.

What i had been doing previously was creating a new project using the "URP" project template. I guess there is something about that URP project template that was causing my black sky problems. I will have to dig in tomorrow and compare the two and try to determine what the problem was.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    umcherrel and dsilverthorn like this.
  36. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Quick question: I am getting the following "error": "Weather Maker auto-performance profile expects 6 quality settings, but you have 4" (which is correct, I have 4 settings)

Within the base Weather Maker script I saw "Performance Performance Profile" which was set to "None", so I changed this to "WeatherMakerPerformanceProfile_VR" But I still get the same message. So, what dumb thing am I doing?

Thanks

37. jrg5923

jrg5923

Hallo, found two typing errors

{ 802, "WeatherMakerProfile_MdeiumCloudsScattered" },
    { 803, "WeatherMakerProfile_MdeiumHeavyCloudsScattered" },

in the file "WeatherMakerLocationWeatherScript.cs".

{ 802, "WeatherMakerProfile_MediumCloudsScattered" },
    { 803, "WeatherMakerProfile_MediumHeavyCloudsScattered" },

Jörg

38. jjxtra

jjxtra

You will need to manually assign a performance profile to the prefab.

39. jjxtra

jjxtra

Will send patch!

40. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather Maker 5.9.9 is out and now supports textured skybox materials in cases where you have deactivated the weather maker sky sphere renderer.

dsilverthorn and hopeful like this.
  41. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Ok, so obviously I am missing something, sorry. I am looking at the WeatherMakerPrefab, on it there is a section titled; "Performance Performance Profile" (yes, it says "performance" twice) and I have "WeatherMakerPerformanceProfile_VR" selected. When I view that, I do not see any setting that allows me to set the quantity of performance profiles.

I also noticed the "Auto Set Performance Profile" was checked, and when I uncheck it the error does NOT occur.

So... feel free to point and laugh at my stupidity, just please let me know what info I am missing or getting wrong.

Thanks

42. fusion242

fusion242

Hi, love the WeatherMaker system. I've implemented this in a URP on 2019.3.0f6 [edit:same at 2019.3.2f1] and the sky is rendering nicely.
    Just wanted to report a problem where the URP post processing effects are disabled. Removing the WeatherMakerURPRenderFeatureScript from the forward renderer profile will show the effects, adding it again will stop them from working. I'm doing some investigation of my own and will update if I manage to find any solution.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    umcherrel likes this.
  43. fusion242

fusion242

I am making a leap here, but seems URP doesn't support custom post processing extensions within the built-in post processing (YET!). There is still support for post processing v2 in the URP (so using that package rather than the built-in post processing). When I get a chance I'll see if this works as a workaround to having both Weather Maker and post processing.

44. jjxtra

jjxtra

Here is the performance section, the `Performance` header groups both of the settings.

upload_2020-3-2_11-21-59.png

You can try out the various VR profiles and see if one of them gives you the quality and performance you need.

45. jjxtra

jjxtra

Let me know what you find with v2...

46. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Thanks, however that is not what I asked. I tried multiple profiles, and they all report the issue UNTIL I uncheck the "Auto set performance profile." When that is selected I get this error: "Weather Maker auto-performance profile expects 6 quality settings, but you have 4"

While looking at the details of a performance profile, no part of it shows how to affect the number of quality settings.

Again, am I missing something?

Thanks,
    James

47. jjxtra

jjxtra

Right, that needs to be unchecked. The individual performance profiles don't know anything about quality settings, that's the job of that checkbox being turned on. So with that checkbox turned off, it's up to you to manually set a profile.

48. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

AH, I get it now. duh. Thank you, and sorry for the confusion.

Have a great evening

49. tachyon-particle

tachyon-particle

Hello,

I have first used this asset since version 1.0, so I just wanted to say it has been an amazing journey in seeing how great the Weather Maker has grown. Awesomeness!

This asset contains so many fantastic features now and is very customizable.

This is only a wish, but wanted to wish to hopefully one day see if 30+ foot waves in a violent sea storm in the middle of an ocean would ever be possible as a feature for this asset. :) It would make this asset even more sought after on the Unity Asset Store. Or, maybe this feature is already possible, and that I may have just overlooked it (I haven't used the water feature yet).

Thank you for all the hard work, innovation, and development. Looking forward to seeing even more growth in the forthcoming future. All the best.

OdderOtter likes this.
  50. jjxtra

jjxtra

Thanks for your kind words! Crest ocean has become the de-facto standard water solution for Unity, I highly recommend checking it out. Their standard pipeline version is free and open source on github. It can do the waves you want and much more! https://github.com/crest-ocean/crest

no00ob and tachyon-particle like this.