Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

☁ Weather Maker ☁ AAA Clouds, Sky, Weather, Water, Volumetric Light & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jjxtra, Jun 30, 2016.

1. jjxtra

jjxtra

2018.4 would be the new min supported version.

hopeful and StevenPicard like this.
  2. jjxtra

jjxtra

Vincent454 and hopeful like this.
  3. jjxtra

jjxtra

4. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather Maker 5.9.1 is released with MegaSplat and MicroSplat integration!

5. no00ob

no00ob

I just added this into my project and when I press play I keep on getting this error after the game runs for about 1 second
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    2. Parameter name: _unity_self
    3. UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer.Dispose (System.Boolean disposing) (at <86888d7bf865490ca0c08194bf6338db>:0)
    4. UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer.Dispose () (at <86888d7bf865490ca0c08194bf6338db>:0)
    5. DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerCommandBufferManagerScript.CleanupCommandBuffer (DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerCommandBuffer commandBuffer) (at Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/Manager/WeatherMakerCommandBufferManagerScript.cs:290)
    6. DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerCommandBufferManagerScript.CleanupCameras () (at Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/Manager/WeatherMakerCommandBufferManagerScript.cs:301)
    7. DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerCommandBufferManagerScript.LateUpdate () (at Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/Manager/WeatherMakerCommandBufferManagerScript.cs:330)
    It works fine in all of the demo scenes but in my scene this happens.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  6. jjxtra

jjxtra

I've logged a bug with Unity, this should not happen. Calling Dispose on a command buffer that is not null should not throw the error. Immediately after the dispose I null out the command buffer.

Try pulling a refresh of 5.9.1 and see if it helps.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  7. jjxtra

jjxtra

This does not happen in 2017.4 so I know it is a newish bug

8. no00ob

no00ob

Yep that fixed it thanks!

hopeful and dsilverthorn like this.
  9. no00ob

no00ob

I wonder why the calculation for dates is only correct in the range March 1 1900 to February 28 2100, Why can't we go beyond? Not a problem to me just curious about it.

10. M0rrigan

M0rrigan

Hello Jeff. Buoyancy and rainbows would be a great add. Any chance to get them in the future?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    DrOcto likes this.
  11. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather Maker 5.9.3 is out with a vegetation studio pro extension script. Now your rain/snow/wind will sync to your vegetation studio pro biomes! Simply drag a weather maker weather zone on to the biome and set your profile to the type of weather you want (temperate, snow, dry, etc.)

Vincent454 likes this.
  12. jjxtra

jjxtra

That's a limitation of the algorithm, which is optimized to be reasonably fast. Could go more accurate at the cost of much higher CPU use. Not worth it in my opinion.

no00ob likes this.
  13. jjxtra

jjxtra

Rainbows absolutely! Bouyancy I would suggest to use crest ocean, Weather Maker has integration with it. See my fork here: https://github.com/DigitalRuby/crest

14. jjxtra

jjxtra

Just had a customer email this wonderful looking forest scene! Uses Weather Maker volumetric fog and likely some post process.

upload_2019-9-25_11-21-32.png

iddqd, no00ob, M0rrigan and 3 others like this.
  15. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

Does this do HDRP yet?

16. jjxtra

jjxtra

No, if/when HDRP is supported I will of course post here and in the discord forums and update the asset description. Assuming Unity has added the necessary hooks, I hope to add HDRP support when it goes out of preview.

dsilverthorn and razzraziel like this.
  17. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

I heard that should be in 2020?

18. jjxtra

jjxtra

Could be. LWRP still feels like it is still in preview, so we will see how robust it is :)

19. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather Maker full code documentation is now online at https://unitydocs.digitalruby.com/

You can peruse everything, in case you are looking for specific functions or just considering a purchase and want to know what you are getting.

20. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Jeff,

I picked up Aura 2 in the new Humble Bundle sale and I'm having trouble getting it to work properly with Weather Maker.
    Weather Maker fog is over-riding the fog and the weather maker sun will not allow color changes through Aura 2.
    If I disable WM and add a light, Aura works, but not getting it to work when WM is active. And I need my Weather Maker.;)

What setting should I do to help them work together?

BTW, the humble bundle sale is $15 and includes 15 assets including one year of Unity Learn Premium, Playmaker, the Snaps Art and prototypes, M-Tree, etc. It's their second one, last year was a good one too. Amazing deals- I've done them both and they are supported by the developers- just in case anyone is wondering. Still going for 14 more days.

21. jjxtra

jjxtra

1] If you are using Aura 2 probably you want to deactivate the weather maker fog object entirely.

2] As far as the sun color changes go, those are done by the day/night cycle script, I would need to add an option somewhere to not modify sun color, but this will break the day night cycle if it is dynamic. If you have a static time of day, not an issue.

Let me know about #2.

22. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Thanks Jeff,
    I'm running static time of day. I like the morning sun.:) Let me know what I need to do.
    Nice to know about the time of day cycle though. But I'm not using that yet.

Thanks!
    I'm not sure if Aura will make it into my project, but want to try it out to see all of my options.

I'm upgrading to 2018.4.9 because I'm getting some strange bugs and I'm guessing it's a Unity thing.
    Once I'm back up and running I'll try the fog setup.

David

23. no00ob

no00ob

Hello I have bit of a problem. My scene looks too dark with the default ambient color strengths so I need to increase them, but by doing so my clouds became washed out white color without any shading just plain white. I know this happens most likely due to the clouds receiving the ambient lighting aswell, but is there anyway around this? upload_2019-10-5_19-46-29.png
    upload_2019-10-5_19-44-50.png

24. jjxtra

jjxtra

You'll have to tweak the ambient light multipliers on the cloud profiles you are using. I'd suggest duplicating the profiles and then customizing as needed.

no00ob likes this.
  25. no00ob

no00ob

Wow what a reply speed... Thanks so much!

26. norby

norby

Hi jjxtra

Maybe this has been asked before. Does WeatherMaker work on an oculus quest? If yes how to setup the camera
    Thanks

Norby

27. jjxtra

jjxtra

I don't support Android VR, sorry. Too many devices and configs to test and I have a full time job, do Unity on the side in spare time :)

no00ob and SickaGamer like this.
  28. norby

norby

ooh oké
    thanks for clarification

Norby

29. TWalden

TWalden

Awesome package, it has more than I could ever need for weather :)
    I see you can fly a camera through the volumetric clouds and they'll remain static relative to the world, is there any way to replicate this without moving the camera (like with terrain, moving the terrain past the camera rather than the camera through the terrain)? I tried messing with the coverage, type, and animation velocities, but I only end up making it look like rolling fog since the clouds develop different noise as they move in this way.

30. jjxtra

jjxtra

Hmmm. You could try manually setting the cloud noise offset to some value, not sure if it will give you the effect you want...

31. shwa

shwa

Hi Jeff.
    Weathermaker has been working fine for a while in osx, using opengl. Using a versions of WM from a few months ago.
    I added an asset from the unity store recently, and now the WM sky is grey, and no cloud effects.
    (Problem shows on osx and win standalone builds. In authoring the sky is black until i hit play.)
    The asset i added is: HDG build.
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/hdg-build-organise-your-builds-107362

I'm speculating there may be a conflict with HDG, but not certain.

Any idea if there's a simple fix for this?

Some of the weathermaker Error messages, during authoring:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerFullScreenCloudsScript.CreateWeatherMapTextures () (at Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/Clouds/WeatherMakerFullScreenCloudsScript.cs:521)
    DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerFullScreenCloudsScript.GenerateWeatherMap (UnityEngine.Camera camera) (at Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/Clouds/WeatherMakerFullScreenCloudsScript.cs:255)
    DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerFullScreenCloudsScript.OnEnable () (at Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/Clouds/WeatherMakerFullScreenCloudsScript.cs:572)

DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerScript.ShouldIgnoreCamera (UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour script, UnityEngine.Camera camera, System.Boolean ignoreReflections) (at Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/Manager/WeatherMakerScript.cs:512)
    DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerSkySphereScript.CameraPreCull (UnityEngine.Camera camera) (at Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/Sky/WeatherMakerSkySphereScript.cs:75)
    DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerCommandBufferManagerScript.InvokeEvents (UnityEngine.Camera camera, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] list) (at Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/Manager/WeatherMakerCommandBufferManagerScript.cs:841)
    DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerCommandBufferManagerScript.CameraPreCull (UnityEngine.Camera camera) (at Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/Manager/WeatherMakerCommandBufferManagerScript.cs:855)
    UnityEngine.Camera.FireOnPreCull (UnityEngine.Camera cam) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Camera.bindings.cs:334)

DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerScript.ShouldIgnoreCamera (UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour script, UnityEngine.Camera camera, System.Boolean ignoreReflections) (at Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/Manager/WeatherMakerScript.cs:512)
    DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerSkySphereScript.CameraPreCull (UnityEngine.Camera camera) (at Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/Sky/WeatherMakerSkySphereScript.cs:75)
    DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerCommandBufferManagerScript.InvokeEvents (UnityEngine.Camera camera, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] list) (at Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/Manager/WeatherMakerCommandBufferManagerScript.cs:841)
    DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerCommandBufferManagerScript.CameraPreCull (UnityEngine.Camera camera) (at Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/Manager/WeatherMakerCommandBufferManagerScript.cs:855)
    UnityEngine.Camera.FireOnPreCull (UnityEngine.Camera cam) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Camera.bindings.cs:334)
    UnityEngine.Camera:Render()
    UnityStandardAssets.Water.Water:OnWillRenderObject() (at Assets/Standard Assets/Environment/Water/Water/Scripts/Water.cs:112)

There's a few dozen more error messages, that keep getting added to, in play mode.

/ thanks.

/ shwa

32. shwa

shwa

I want to import an older version of WM into a new project.

Within the asset store in authoring, I'm only seeing the ability to download the latest version, with no import choice of what i already downloaded.

Where's the import button?

i sure need coffee.
    / thanks

33. jjxtra

jjxtra

I will try on my Mac today and get back

34. jjxtra

jjxtra

Can you switch to metal? I dropped Mac opengl support a while ago. I’ll also test metal on my end to make sure.

35. shwa

shwa

Yes, i can switch to Metal.
    Want to do that carefully, and not break my current project.

Would prefer to fix the current issue, and then carefully try the shift to Metal later.

My current project uses Unity 2018.3.12f1

/ thank!
    /shwa

36. jjxtra

jjxtra

The only opengl wm I have saved is quite old at this point, so if you can switch to metal that is ideal. I would also recommend Unity 2018.4 or 2019.2.

37. jjxtra

jjxtra

Change line 194 of WeatherMakerAtmosphereLookupShader.shader to this and it will work on metal on MAC:

Code (csharp):
    1. return float4(PrecomputeParticleDensity(rayStart, rayDir), 0.0, 0.0);
    I will post a version refresh on asset store with this fix.

38. shwa

shwa

I sorted out the issue i was having. OSX. opengl.

I had changed the name of a bunch of WM folders that were named Resources.

Renamed them back to Resources, and all is fine now.

Tx.
    / Shwa

39. jjxtra

jjxtra

Glad you got it sorted. Just FYI in a pretty recent update I added resource profiles, so Weather Maker doesn't need resources folders anymore, you just drag in anything you need into the resource profile and it will be included in the build. Weather Maker then has it's own overloaded GetResource method on WeatherMakerScript.

40. shwa

shwa

Does the latest WM version work in 2018.3.12f1?

I'm going to test my current project in 2018.4, but likely won't do that for a while, due to some current deadlines.

Jeff, do you know how i can stop unity standalone builds from automatically including all folders named Resources?
    When i do small builds that don't include WM, all of WM folders with Resources as their title get included in the builds, even though they are not needed.

Thanks.

41. shwa

shwa

Hi,

Which 2018.4 version is the most stable for using WM?

2018.4.11f1

2018.4.10f1

2018.4.9f1

I see various versions additional versions available here.
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/lts-releases

Going back to 2018.4.4f1 back to July 2019. and earlier.

Thanks.
    /S

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  42. jjxtra

jjxtra

Latest Minor version always recommended

43. jjxtra

jjxtra

44. lolaswift

lolaswift

I got a pink sky when running on mobile(iphone x), any idea?
    It actually showed the sky correctly but only for a second, then turned into pink color. :-(
    Is it because of the weather maker shader doesn't work on mobile?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  45. jjxtra

jjxtra

Hard to say. What Unity version and what hardware are you running on? Have you tried the bare-bones demo scene blank as a first test? What about error logs, are you able to share any?

46. lolaswift

lolaswift

The sky turns pink when I select any cloud profile on fullscreeneffect.
    Hardware: iphone x
    702 error messages: Invalid pass number(4) for Graphics Bilt(Material"(Unknown material)")with 1 passes
    And If I don't select any cloud profile, it works but first displays a dark sky, then the right skybox. There is about one second delay.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  47. jjxtra

jjxtra

Please try unity 2018.4 and let me know if it behaves differently.

48. lolaswift

lolaswift

2018.4.11f1(lts) same issue.

49. jjxtra

jjxtra

2019’2?

50. creat327

creat327

hi, any change you can update the android APK? It looks horrible and I don't think it has anything of the new stuff. I want to check how fast it perform on a mobile.
    It would also be great if you can drop the water asset into the apk, since I only see a flat green thing.
    Lastly, the checkboxes on android... you need a pin to touch them. They are so small that they are impossible to test with a finger.