Search Unity

Weapon drift: yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Not_Sure, Aug 10, 2018.

?

Yay or Nay?

1. Yay!

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Nay!

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Whatever.

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I'm still prototyping my weapons for my Doom clone.

Right now I'm debating rather or not to include drift on my shots.

"Drift" meaning that when shot they inherit the physical motion of the player.

In other words, if the player is running forward the rockets move faster.

I tried it earlier, and found it harder to hit targets and it felt off so I took it off.

Now I'm wondering if it would work if it just passed along forward motion and possibly lateral.

What do you think?

Are you a fan of drift on weapons?

2. McDev02

McDev02

I have to say that I never heard from this and I don't know how it is used in games. I would do what most games do.
    But it seems like a balancing question to me. It would provide players who walk forward an advantage. When walking sideways it can act weirdly and make it harder to hit anything. A bullet is so fast that player motion has barely any influence, my uneducated guess.
    And rockes, there are not yet any real world examples I think. The rockets in UnrealTornament where pretty slow, using the players motion on them would make a big difference. Maybe try to reduce the effect of the player to match the relative speed of the projectile. But if you just leave it out, you have much less trouble.

3. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Tribes famously had drift as a core mechanic.

I do like the idea of running towards the target being an advantage.

I could give it the player's velocity and not have the movement effect it since my movement is done with transform. That way if the player rocket jumps, hits a spring board, or is in free fall the velocity will apply. But moving around won't matter.

4. McDev02

McDev02

I think it depends a lot of the type of game you are making and the kind of weapons you use. If you jump around a lot then probably using relative force is better as otherwise the projectiles might be slower than the player :)

RavenOfCode and angrypenguin like this.
  5. InstinctDevs

InstinctDevs

Whatever!!
    xD

6. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I remember a game caled Brute Force on the xbox. Lots of the weapons shot big, slow moving orbs that, IIRC, did get influenced by your movement.

Man, I F***ing loved the shooting in that game.Simple physics stuff like that, if dialed in correctly, can make for some crazy fun gameplay.

7. Martin_H

Martin_H

Only for grenades, not for any other weapons.

8. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

I was about to say this too, plus anything you can carry such as a flag.

Martin_H likes this.
  9. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Most FPS games compared to reality have a player moving at ridiculously high speeds, and weapons like rockets moving at ridiculously slow speeds. This would result in a much exaggerated transfer of momentum to the projectile, so I don't think most games do it for that reason. So I think most games it won't do well, but I could certainly see a game building that in as part of the core fun and it working out just fine.

angrypenguin likes this.
  10. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Go all the way or don't touch it. It should either be a core mechanic that defines everything, or you shouldn't touch it.

11. Stardog

Stardog

Yes for golf games, no for rocket shooting games.

12. Unknown33

Unknown33

It looks really cool when the weapon syncs up with character movement speed, I would call it a must. A little inherent inaccuracy while running and gunning just makes sense. I expect it. That's what makes scopes/sights useful, the ability to shoot with deadly accuracy. It adds another layer of value to weapons that can perform well past close encounter range and beyond, and allows you to balance higher powered automatic weapons by tapering off their effectiveness at range.