Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

We just published on Steam, a thank you to the Unity Forum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by frosted, Jul 25, 2019.

1. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

originally i told him no unique textures either. Was gonna be flat materials like this:

screenshot001.png

he was really upset at me for awhile because of that. But I didn't think I'd be able to get the work done in time if I textured each unit uniquely. Once I got my workflow figured out, I realized that I did have time. Then I was the hero.

Better to under promise and over deliver, as they say.

Still, I think the flat material look has a certain charm to it as well. Definitely less fun and more suited to a different theme, but I like it as well.

Joe-Censored, Zarconis, Ryiah and 2 others like this.
  2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I kinda dig it. Reminds me of green army men, although I guess it would make the pieces a bit less distinctive.

Anyway, good job with the release and good luck!

BIGTIMEMASTER likes this.
  3. frosted

frosted

Hey I liked the monotone. The problem is you would never have been able to tell your guys apart. It's so important to have different colors on the units.

We almost didn't get the project started because of this first disagreement. I didn't think the game could work without more distinctive unit colors.

But let's save something for the post mortem :p

Ony, Ryiah and Martin_H like this.
  4. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

well, it depends on the game. i think we were both envisioning something quite different at the beginning. like, chess works without colors. I was envisioning something like chess, ya know. so i thought silhouette would be enough.

but anyway, we made it work and we'll discuss how in a post mortem.

frosted likes this.
  5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Nice!

I didn't get past the first mission. Half my guys got stuck in the swamp with very restricted movement. The one scout I did send up the road wasn't enough to save the Knight/Priest guy. Apparently I did it all wrong. Serves me right for skipping over the tutorial. I really like the humor

A couple of notes, do as you please with them.

- Screen scrolling does work with the arrow keys. But players are going to intuitively move the mouse to the edge of the screen
    - Consider doing something to smooth out the camera movements. Watching the AI turn made me sick.
    - The bars (movement points) near the character weren't very obvious.
    - The movement highlight wasn't very obvious. I took me a few turns to realise it was even there. Perhaps make the color stand out more from the background?
    - The same thing with the terrain. It wasn't until half my units were stuck in the swamp that I realized I'd ignored the road.
    - Same again for impassable terrain.
    - The continue button icon implies that you can click anywhere, but it only accepts clicks on the continue text.

This is just me, but I'd like to see a couple of meaningless dialogue branches. It would be absolutely hilarious to be able to tell the fist NPC that I actually have been saved.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Ony, frosted, Ryiah and 2 others like this.
  6. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

thanks really appreciate the feedback.

dialogue branches likely not gonna happen, the rest is stuff that should be fixed soon.

Martin_H likes this.
  7. Velo222

Velo222

This really inspires me to want to finish one of my games as well. Congratulations guys, well done. Seeing a game through to completion is NOT easy. Kudos to your persistence.

frosted likes this.
  8. frosted

frosted

Honestly making a game isn't that hard.

Learning to not suck at making games... that's really really hard. There's a lot of mistakes you need to make, or you need to learn from others who have already made the mistakes and learned.

Socrates, Kiwasi and angrypenguin like this.
  9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

In comparison to starting to make a game many people find it difficult. Having the persistence to stick with one creative project until it is completed seems to be at least a little uncommon.

Back when I used to be responsible for hiring people onto a dev team that was the one quality I put ahead of all others. Can you finish a thing? I don't expect you to do it without help, but I do expect you to be able to use available resources to take something to the point where I can confidently hand it to a customer.

Socrates, Martin_H and frosted like this.
  10. Billy4184

Billy4184

Played the first level today.

The good:
    - Gameplay is fun, though I'm not much of a player of turn based games so I haven't got much of a comparison.
    - Good atmosphere without relying on a deep story. The voice acting (esp accents) is sometimes not great, but the dialogue content is funny enough and overall the setting feels interesting. The music is good.
    - Overall feels well put together and the level of investment on each part seems balanced.

Problems I noticed:
    - I'm pretty sure I finished the level with everyone dead and the priest still went on as if we were all there.
    - Sometimes the yellow nodes showing where I can go flicker on and off even when my turn is finished.
    - When the first level ends, something about the menu with the two small options at the bottom made me unsure of how to proceed. I think things could be clearer at this point.
    - Could have better visual feedback during combat.
    - Would be good to make it clearer with vfx, sfx and camera stuff when the context switches between your turn and the AI's.

Pretty solid game imo, good stuff!

11. Martin_H

Martin_H

Understatement of the year, when I look around in the hobby gamedev circles and look at all the things I ever started. ^_^

That's actually quite clever imho.

Changing this aspect about myself and my own work is actually my current main focus: get rid of perfectionism, and finish all projects till I have only 1 or 2 at a time.

frosted likes this.