Search Unity

We just published on Steam, a thank you to the Unity Forum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by frosted, Jul 25, 2019.

1. frosted

frosted

After a long run, I finally got a game up on Steam. Not the game of my dreams, but a reasonably polished, well made game none the less. I wanted to thank you guys, and this community. Through good times and bad, frustration, folly, and finally fruition, this board has been a companion.

My partner @BIGTIMEMASTER and I got in contact through these boards and began to collaborate on (BSG first, then) Hell's Crusade. So without these boards, none of this would have happened (literally!).

I would like to thank ya'll for making this community something worth visiting and wasting some time on.

I want to especially thank @Martin_H for his steadfast advice, good eye for detail, and unbelievably l337 gaming skills during play tests. Martin has played many versions of my games over the last few years, and figured out how to exploit, abuse, and utterly demolish them. Thanks bud.

And I want to just generally thank some of the more interesting community members. Guys and gals who keep this board worth visiting.

@Ony - because obviously, Ony rocks.
    @Zarconis - shadowK, my good man, we go ways back.
    @Kiwasi - anyone who answered that many questions on the forums (and Answers even!) deserves a special shout out.
    @GarBenjamin - cuz I still remember your awesome space invaders thread.
    @Kondor0 - for showing me that someone on the forum could publish long ago before well anyone could.
    @Billy4184 - you got your spaceship kit done. Even though it took a while :D
    @hippocoder - I'm pretty sure you didn't like me for a couple years, but hey, its all water under the bridge my man.
    @neoshaman - because I loved your deep dives into obscure details.

Also, a special shout out to just interesting oddballs who make these boards worth keeping on: @Ryiah, @angrypenguin, @Antypodish, @Arowx (don't let the mods get you down, keep posting!), @Murgilod, @AndersMalmgren (don't let the mods get you down), and @zombiegorilla (don't let the mods get you... err whups). I know I've forgotten some people, but whatever this has taken too long to write anyway.

@BIGTIMEMASTER and I will be sending out free steam keys to you guys shortly as an expression of gratitude for making this place what it is.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  2. Billy4184

Billy4184

Congrats! Link?

3. frosted

frosted

4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yeah, serious congrats!

Just looking at your Steam page again, that's a huge step up from when you first asked for feedback here a few weeks ago. Great work, not just with the page but also with actively soliciting and responding to feedback. I hope it's had a strong, positive impact on your results!

Martin_H, frosted and BIGTIMEMASTER like this.
  5. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I was a bit hesitant to call out names as I'm afraid I'd forget somebody important.

Martins been a big help to us, but also a big help to me as an artist. Shared lots of good information and wisdom.

One name i haven't seen around for awhile but helped me get on the right track at the beginning of my journey was @theANMATOR2b .

thanks to everybody else already mentioned, and of course double thanks to the mods who keep the thing running with their precious freetime.

oh and @Ryiah gave me the info i needed to build my computer to do any of this. That was a big hurdle for me in the beginning as i didnt have a clue where to begin. now i can tell you what a harddrive is, and what the hotkey for windows explorer is. So smart.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Socrates, Martin_H, Ryiah and 3 others like this.
  6. frosted

frosted

Yeah @theANMATOR2b is a name I forgot to mention. He helped me way back in the day also.

Martin_H and Ony like this.
  7. Ony

Ony

Congrats, you guys! Super cool. :) Page looks great, game looks fun, I dig it. Thanks for the shoutout, too, haha. To battle!! <3

BIGTIMEMASTER likes this.
  8. Antypodish

Antypodish

Indeed, well done.
    Happy racking money time :D

Do you have any plans for next project?

9. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Do we got plans? Do we got PLANS?!?

lol. we do, but tonight i am getting drunk on cheap mead and slaying demons till my eyes bleed!

.....and i just found a pesky bug in one of my missions... dammit

10. Antypodish

Antypodish

Thats happen when you drink driving ... ehm drink coding :)

Ok, take a time. Answer when you feel you got an idea for next project ;)

11. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

we got plans. Layers and layers of plans. Planning is what I do. It's my specialty. I got plans for making plans, man.

But we both also got other variables going on in our lives, so which plan we go with next depends on a variety of factors. But one way or another, we'll be making something. This was our first game, so much can be improved. Most of our time was spent simply learning how to make a game. Now we got a nice framework to build from, so a lot of the heavy lifting is done and we can focus on the fun factor more fully.

We are gonna add in some more content for Hell's Crusade in the coming weeks. New campaigns. Gonna be free dlc. We just felt like the game deserves a little more love, and also wanna take advantage of the steam update visibility rounds or w/e that S*** is called.

12. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Wooo! Im glad you guys got it out, will definately pick it up over the weekend (ill be paid by then) :)

Been enjoying following the progress so glad you guys managed to get it over the line!

13. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Congrats! Best wishes for success! Liking the level of polish, and really like the palette . I’ll try to pick it up next week.

14. aer0ace

aer0ace

@frosted and @BIGTIMEMASTER Looks great! Congrats! Wishlisted!
    Do you have any public threads of your dev process? I seemed to have missed it if you did.

frosted and BIGTIMEMASTER like this.
  15. Zarconis

Zarconis

Well done chief, I'm proud of ya.! After all the work you deserve $$$'s..!

16. frosted

frosted

Not yet. I'm looking forward to an indepth post mortem though with lessons learned, mistakes made, etc.

@Zarconis feh, this game ain't gonna bring riches. But who knows, it might fund the next one. ;)

17. Ony

Ony

the story of game development, right there.

18. Zarconis

Zarconis

Modern day game dev: Years of work with little spare time, hardships, frustration.. End result, abuse and lack of money.

Gotta give these fine gentlemen props for even releasing a game, I don't mind making 'em but releasing them is an entirely different matter. Yep, y'all got more stones than I have.!

Ony, Martin_H and BIGTIMEMASTER like this.
  19. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

our customers have been really cool so far. We just launched though so I'm sure we'll get some bad apples at some point.

we didnt do any real marketing, but a few people got hyped and have been kinda helping us out. I think some gamers kinda get the grind and like to help out, be part of a community, etc.

frosted, Ony and Zarconis like this.
  20. Tzan

Tzan

Congrats
    I'll ask Nookrium if he wants to do a lets play.

21. Ony

Ony

Modern day?? ;)

Kiwasi, Ryiah and Zarconis like this.
  22. Socrates

Socrates

Congratulations. I am glad all your hard work paid off to where you have a finished product released and in the world. No matter how many units sell, you've already succeeded far beyond what most who start out with a game engine ever get to.

23. iamthwee

iamthwee

Congratulations, you've done what few actually set out to achieve. Also @Martin_H leaves great feedback. I remember when I got him and neginfinity to test my horror 'level'.

Hope it all goes well with sales!!

24. iamthwee

iamthwee

Wait @Zarconis is the ShadowK? Damn. I thought you left man?

25. Zarconis

Zarconis

I did, stopped using Unity for a long time and didn't see the point continuing without contributing anything. Did some projects / consultancy etc. for Unreal for about four years? Ended up scrapping my hobby project after it required a AAA budget to finish. Now I'm back using Unity with something I can easily take on.

It'll be shiny of course :D.! Sorry if I'm de-railing btw, question are you planning to sell it outside of steam too?

frosted likes this.
  26. iamthwee

iamthwee

Sounds awesome, I'm surprised to see you taking interest in macs egpus and blender. It feels like a complete u-turn, but damn I missed your contribs on the graphics side. WB man missed ya!

frosted and Zarconis like this.
  27. Antypodish

Antypodish

@frosted, @BIGTIMEMASTER, I know you posted link to steam few post down. But I think will be nice add the link to first post too. And maybe some screenshot, to make it more attractive, for whom don't know about project. Just a thought :)

I suppose you may be busy soon, with player request on features. And sifting all incoming feedback, despite you want provide DLCs. It may be interesting to see, how you will overcome such.

Ony likes this.
  28. frosted

frosted

Nah, this really is to thank people more than self promote. For real, I just wanted to express thanks to the community here.

I'm gonna post a post mortem in a couple days with screenshots and 'work in progress' pics and stuff.

29. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

yeah we talked about this early on. Obviously sending a check to everybody who ever helped us isn't feasible, but sending a free copy of our first game is just a gesture to say, "thanks! we appreciate you taking time to put value into the community, helped us achieve our dream." is something we can do. Please don't feel obligated to review the game or anything, it's just a no strings attached thank you.

30. Ryiah

Ryiah

Will that be long enough to see how many people purchase it that had it on their wishlist?

frosted and Martin_H like this.
  31. If you wait with that until evening PST today, it will be one more for sure. :D

frosted likes this.
  32. Antypodish

Antypodish

That will be cheating :D

frosted likes this.
  33. frosted

frosted

Nope. But I'll also share marketing and sales things later once we collect a bit more data.

angrypenguin, Ryiah and Antypodish like this.
  34. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Good on you all for getting past the finish line. I'd venture a guess 90+% of projects don't.

pcg and Martin_H like this.
  35. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Hey guys, I just pm'd steam keys to a bunch of you. My eyes are getting tired and I'm sure I have forgot some important people.

nobody on this forum should be buying a copy of this game. If you are curious about it at all, please send me a pm and I'll get you a key. Don't be shy. If you have ever given advice to any beginner here, even if it was bad advice :), you deserve a key.

Only caveat is I have to have seen your name before and make a connection. :)

36. Thank you.

Well, you made me purchase two more copies for two of my very good friends who are avid Monty Python fans and also avid gamers.

Go Filthy Peasants! :)

37. frosted

frosted

He actually did it. He actually sent out all those keys. What an absolute madman. :D

Go go go @BIGTIMEMASTER

Antypodish likes this.
  38. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

i'm really good at copy/paste by now. Essential developer skill right there. put it on my resume.

Martin_H, Antypodish and frosted like this.
  39. Antypodish

Antypodish

Where best post feedback?

I will bolt on, of my first reaction.
    Generally very pleasant. ... or peasant?:)
    1. middle mouse camera rotation, need speed adjustment. Atm, is far too fast. I mean is somehow ok for me. But others may not like it.
    2. Display settings need some shadowing / glowing, or other color distinctions.
    Maybe making generally menu / buttons colors brighter, while make background colors dim (dark transparent mask, or so).
    upload_2019-7-26_3-5-47.png
    3. Nice WSAD and arrows and right mouse button, to move camera. Maybe option, to move camera, when mouse hit screen edge?
    4. Feels too foggy.
    upload_2019-7-26_3-9-38.png
    Yep, definitely
    upload_2019-7-26_3-10-56.png
    5. After moving one step, I would like still move, if I got spare movement. Atm, if I got 3 squares move, and I move only one, I lost other two.
    6. Finished 1st adventure. Quite fun texts and readings :) Lost one good soul tho:(
    7. Final mission screen need some additional info (see bottom left corner butons).
    upload_2019-7-26_3-37-9.png
    8. For tonight, I pass on mission 1:)

Attached Files:

40. Antypodish

Antypodish

Same key for everyone? :D
    Ctrl + c

Ctrl + v
    Ctrl + v
    Ctrl + v
    Ctrl + v
    Ctrl + v
    Ctrl + v

41. TonyLi

TonyLi

Great job, guys! I just played a bunch. You made some really smart moves, like handling the units as static miniatures instead of animating them. It gives the game a strong sense of style while cutting down the workload. I'm looking forward to reading the postmortem and your thoughts in retrospect on decisions like that.

Ony, Ryiah, angrypenguin and 2 others like this.
  42. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

thanks for the feedback and reviews guys. for feedback, we are trying to keep everything on the steam forums so its easy to manage. but you already posted here so don't worry about that. We'll note your feedback down on our trello @Antypodish.

@frosted has got a patch coming in a day or two with the screen scroll. thats just one of those things that slipped our minds in the flurry to get a game built in such a short time.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    Ony and Antypodish like this.
  43. Billy4184

Billy4184

Really looking forward to the post mortem!

44. TonyLi

TonyLi

This is a real pie in the sky idea, but a VR version would be a lot of fun.

frosted likes this.
  45. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

there's this game called wartile, apparently its not a turnbased game though, but it looks soooo beautiful. If it was VR/AR, i'd want our game to look like that first. But thats not work a single artist can do. at least not in a short timespan.

46. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

i hope they are gonna like it. I wasn't able to get as much character in as i wanted jsut do to the nature of the overall design and the speed of development, but I hope the humor and theme does click.

47. frosted

frosted

Don't say that. I've been giving @BIGTIMEMASTER s**t about not giving me rigging for months. Now I'll never get him to do it! :D

Ony, Martin_H and Kiwasi like this.
  48. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Oh, he said it.

It was a really smart move he said. Not listening to @frosted and his incessant demands!

Martin_H, angrypenguin and Kiwasi like this.
  49. Antypodish

Antypodish

Actually I like it as well none animated.

Martin_H likes this.
  50. Antypodish

Antypodish

You meant incessant peasant? ;p