Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Official We are looking for participants for a usability test in version control features

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by hamilton_unity, Feb 24, 2021.

1. hamilton_unity

hamilton_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi all,
    Unity is looking for participants for a Usability Test study in the area of version control.
    This study would require meeting a researcher for 1 hour some day between Feb 23rd and March 12, 2021.
    We can provide you with an item from our Unity Swag shop as a token of appreciation after completing our session.
    If you work with Unity using a version control solution and would like to participate, please click through this short survey to sign up.
    Thanks!

CrandellWS likes this.
  2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Hi yes, I guess this isn't what you're looking for, (but what are you looking for, really?) but I guess what most people want out of a Collaborate-like service is one that:

1. Works.
    2. Gets out of the way and lets me work.
    3. Does not get released as beta and then is instantly abandoned for MANY YEARS. I mean never mind the core problems, we never even got minor UI improvements that would be really easy to do (like fixing the window being really small).

If Collaborate worked properly and had its UI refined over the years, I guarantee you most people would be really happy, and Collaborate would have been a strength for Unity ("hey, Unity also has a simple but pretty reliable versioning service, let's use that").

If over the years you also added a few features like, say, basic branching and the "scene social" feature you showcased but then abandoned, people would have gone crazy about Collaborate.

But instead you instantly abandoned it, made a lot of your users’ lives miserable and YOU DARE CHARGE FOR IT. You haven't even apologized.

Conclusion: The fact that you think you need a study, as if what the users want is some elusive thing that studies have to be made on, does not fill me with confidence for what the future your services looks like.

Last edited: May 29, 2021