Search Unity

We are building a website using Unity to showcase demo material. We need feedback!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Poutineman, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Poutineman

Poutineman

You can look at the website here: http://www.instudios.ca

There is a HTML interface around the Unity main showcase.

Look at it, tell us if you like it or not. We haven't finished everything yet, there are still some adjustment to do so you might find some small bugs here and there. :)

Thanks!

2. RaskVann

RaskVann

I'm confused, are you trying to showcase your skills in film or gamemaking? If your doing film, why are you using Unity? If doing game design why are you demoing what is pretty much a video?

3. Poutineman

Poutineman

In fact, we are trying to showcase our multimedia skills. We are not focusing necessarily on video games nor film, but more on the web and the fact that we can fill the multimedia need for websites: Interactive experience, video, audio, etc.

We hope that it will convince people that we can provide them with anything they need in terms of multimedia for there websites. At the best, inspire people to imagine their website differently then the classical graphic artist/print/text approach.

What do you think?

4. lockbox

lockbox

Once it was done loading (0-100%), I was expecting something to happen - but it didn't. You need to let the user know what to do once it's loaded.

When I zoom in, and click, I'm expecting to be able to see a full-sized version with more info about the type of work what was done, but instead, it just zooms back out.

I'm going to be honest here and say that I'm not impressed by this. If I were directed to this site and had to make a decision to choose your firm or inquire further, I would pass. Sorry, just trying to helpful.

5. SteveJ

SteveJ

I think it's pretty neat - I like it :)

Definitely needs more work, but looking pretty nice so far.

One suggestion: change the color of cubes that have been "visited".

6. Poutineman

Poutineman

Lockbox: When loading, there is info at the top of the screen,you didn't find if helpfull? Also, you would expect to have a full zoomin when clicking on a box, so that the video occupies the complete area of the screen? And once zoomed in, you would like then to be able to click on more information and then click on a X at the top right to come back to the 3D area? Also, what would make this site interesting to you, and what would impress you? Because we are not trying to sell video games, but advertise the fact that we have the expertise to do web site with interactive 3D and CG.

Gepetto: Once you click on the boxes, the color changes already, I guess you think it is not obvious enough? What needs more work in your oppinion?

Thank you for your comments.

7. Steffan-Poulsen

Steffan-Poulsen

I can see the reason behind you choosing to make your page in this way, "you want to showcase your various skills in multimedia and such", but what you also show is a complete disregard for the conventions in web-design and good usability praxis and I think that it's going to hurt you in the long run. To add to this, new visitors (potential clients) - would have to install the unity web-player for the site to at all be accessible. I can only speculate, but I think that a large majority of people would be turned off by this. Furthermore I'm of the opinion that flashy showcases such as these, is counterproductive to the actual work being shown in them, there is a reason for the walls of art being white.

My suggestion would be to keep this "flashy showcase" as a part of your portfolio - but only as a separate part of the site, on the same level as your other portfolio pieces. In that way you would still showcase your ability to work in all multimedia, as well as maintain a good balance between the conventions of HCI and aesthetics.

8. tomekkie

tomekkie

What is the reason to put the same text in two languages, you can detect system or browser language and display all the text in the right language from the beginning.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  9. MoonQuake

MoonQuake

Check your PMs, Poutineman!

tomekkie: it's usually better to let the client choose the language. Some people could have their browser set in English, but rather visit the web site in French, for example.

MQ

10. lockbox

lockbox

When I see that message, I think I can do that right away, not after things load. So while I was waiting, I followed that info.
    Yes - including some type of option to watch the actual clip.

That makes sense .. What is my "reward" for clicking on the cube? What does the visitor get from that?

Steffan hit the nail on the head - the web design isn't there. The "wow" factor isn't there. Try Googling "100 best websites". Remember - more isn't necessary better. Style counts for a lot.

This is what I would recommend ....

Straight HTML, flash/flash video on the homepage. A "Showcase" page, which is not interactive, but mostly video, images, project details - and a "Interactive" demo page. Steffan has it right in that you're screwing yourself by forcing people to download Unity to view your site.

Take a look at http://www.numbereight.net - it exudes confidence. I'm not saying your site needs to look like this, but it's the feeling it gives you when you look at it that says, "Yeah, I need to talk to these guys."

11. richardh

richardh

erm, at the moment every link on that pages leads to Google!!!!! ?

12. tomekkie

tomekkie

You are right, MQ. As for myself, I have my browser in Polish, but prefer to browse some content in English. Anyway I would rather put a small language selection button instead of duplicating the whole content.

13. Poutineman

Poutineman

Richardh: there was an error on the update of our site and you must have clicked right at that moment. We are reverting to our earlier version. Sorry for the inconvenience.

14. Poutineman

Poutineman

Thank you everyone for your great comments. We are actually rethinking most of the aspects of the website. You may still comment on the unity part of the website, for we are expecting to work further more on the concept.