Search Unity

Question Way's to scan real life car to make 3D CAD Model

Discussion in 'AR' started by dhruvpanwar, Jan 28, 2022.

1. dhruvpanwar

dhruvpanwar

Hi I'm new to AR and Vuforia using Unity3D. I need multiple 3d model's of real life cars for my AR project which is an assessment quiz type project in which i need to scan a car and it should match if its a correct car.
    So how can i scan a car that much accurate so it can differentiate between cars and should be little affordable i have seen some scanning devices but they are so expensive and need completely new skill sets to use it. I have tried iPhone's Lidar scanner app to create 3D model and integrate using Vuforia Model Target, it detects the car but couldn't differentiate between cars.

Please help,
    Thanks a lot

2. anthonybielecki

anthonybielecki

Hey dhruvpanwar,

I'm wondering if it's vital for your project that you use 3D models or if you just want to be able to match cars because if you just want to match cars it might be easier to just create a neural network that works on 2D images. Neural networks have had great success with object recognition so I think recognizing cars would be no problem. Using 3D models to match cars might actually be a bit harder than using 2D images because any 3D model will contain lots of extraneous data (for example, a full depth map of a car's wheels would just be a lot of not particularly useful data that any 3D matching algorithm would need to grind through...)

dhruvpanwar likes this.