Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ways to deliver story without voice acting?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Vefery, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Vefery

Vefery

The game is a sort of story-driven first-person puzzle. The main story will be delivered through the environment and hints (it meant to be a bit vague). But I want the setup of the plot to be clear, so players would get the idea why everything is happening. And the problem that I don't have npcs in the game (but I have a few characters in the story which can interact with the player indirectly).
    I can't use speech bubbles because the game has a pretty serious atmosphere. However I have the basic idea to make the first level to be a player's house with a PC where player can read messages (or something like this) which explain the plot. But it feels like a bad decision, are there any other ways to tell the plot without voice?

2. LaneFox

LaneFox

Check out The Talos Principle.

Personally I really enjoyed A Tale Of Two Sons as well.

BrandyStarbrite and Vefery like this.
  3. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

Do you need a way to do an exposition dump with a single text wall and without breaking the lore of the game?

Or are you looking to slowly tell the story though visuals in game?

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  4. Vefery

Vefery

More of the first one but mixed actually. Dump the plot in the beginning and then gradually tell the actual story

5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Go re-watch the start of the original Star Wars. It starts with a text plot dump in a visually appealing way, and then the current situation is conveyed primarily through visuals instead of dialog. The first dialog actually explaining what is happening is when Darth Vader is demanding the death star plans, but by then the initial battle is already over, the princess has already been captured, and the droids are already off the ship and down on the planet.

Vefery and BrandyStarbrite like this.
  6. warthos3399

warthos3399

Just use a dictator/narrator asset., youll see the text on-screen, and go from there...

Vefery likes this.
  7. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

@Vefery
    You can tell a story using visuals and graphics, by using certain colours, and effects, to capture the serious tone and mood of the games story. And you can even use sound, to help amplify and bring out the serious tone, of the story too. I think you asked a similar question, in another topic you made.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Vefery likes this.
  8. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Watch silent movies.

Martin_H, Joe-Censored and Socrates like this.