Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ways of doing things

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AaronC, May 11, 2006.

1. AaronC

AaronC

I have a lot of questions. I do most of the forum browsing from home on my PC so If people answer I dont actually get to try things out until I get a chance to sit on the Mac at school, and I simply can never get enough time to sit down and unite with unity.

1.Say I have a sphere.With basic attributes applied within Unity.I want to create 10 identical. Am I better off dragging and dropping the Prefab(I think they're called :!: prefabs) from the project window into the scene window 10 times over, or am I better off copying and pasting 10 times within the scene window. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of doing both these methods, as perhaps 1 or the other may put more pressure on some part of the computer, or may make my build larger than neccessary.

2.What does the Tag section at the top of the inspector window do? It has options like respawn, finish, and others. What do these do and how do I use them?
    Cheers Team

2. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

The difference with copying and pasting and prefabs is that with a prefab, if you edit the source prefab all instances of that prefab will have the same changes

eg: you make some flowers and then put them all around your scene. If you used a prefab you can change the color of the prefab in your assets folder and all the flowers in the scene will have the same new color.

Tags are used for categorizing objects. You can make your own tags additional to the default ones. Tags are used trough scripting to check if objects really are what the script thinks they are or getting ArrayLists of all objects with a certain tag.

here is a page for the GameObject class that includes info about tags.

http://otee.dk/Documentation/ScriptReference/GameObject.html